Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2018, 09:39 PM   #1
Reeferchemist
Registered Member

Live Rock Objected to Handling

Last weekend I moved my 75 gallon soft coral reef to my garage to make way for my new water box 130.4. During the move I managed to get stung by a bristlecone worm on one finger which remained swollen for 3 days at least. However I also ended up with 2 kind of stings on one hand. I suffered flu like illness. It developed into muscle soreness, and the next evening moved to my legs and feet making it difficult to put pressure on my feet( to walk). My feet developed red patches of skin on top and bottom that went away after a day and a half. I went to dr and got antibiotics and anti inflammatory. Anyone experienced this before or know what it was? I only had mushrooms in it that I’m aware of. I’ve attached a picture of my hand.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45C86203-5248-497B-AD31-3D96C8B3B9ED.jpg (23.7 KB, 58 views)
Reeferchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 03:16 AM   #2
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Allergic reaction to the bristleworm? Possible zoanthid poisoning? Or Mycobacterium marinum.

Did your healthcare professional know about the aquarium? Did they seem to understand what might have caused the reaction? It does sound like other cases of Mycobacterium marinum that have been reported on here but I don't think it's really appropriate for us forum members to be making a diagnosis across the internet.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 07:46 PM   #3
Reeferchemist
Registered Member

Yes I told the doctor about the aquarium possibility. It seemed the most likely. I was given an antibiotic but was already getting better when I saw the doctor. It could have been the bristlecone stings I guess. But now I have bicep length heavy rubber gloves.

Reeferchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 09:30 PM   #4
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeferchemist View Post
Yes I told the doctor about the aquarium possibility. It seemed the most likely. I was given an antibiotic but was already getting better when I saw the doctor. It could have been the bristlecone stings I guess. But now I have bicep length heavy rubber gloves.
Given your screen name, I’d have thought you’d already owned these gloves.

Our hobby has a couple dangers. Though few exercise caution when it comes to the peaceful box of water in their home. Or business.

I’ll admit I’m guilty of this. I own gloves but rarely wear them when fooling about in the tank.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2018, 08:07 AM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I've gotten worse lately when it comes to picking up something that have sharp & prickly growths, like rock & cleaning power heads.
Then I have problems with the hands. Now I have to remember gloves to do these things.