Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2012, 12:16 AM   #1
NikeLV
Registered Member

ORA Red Planet Acro turning green

Hey everybody! I bought a Red Planet Acro about 4 months ago and its color is super green. Almost the whole body is green with barely any red. 3 months ago, it got STN and I had to cut off the living area which was about 1/3 in. tall. So far, it has been encrusting on rock but no upward growth. I have 250w 20k Radiums and 1x Koralia 4 and 1x Mp40w. Calc & Alk is stable.
Why is my Red Planet Acro turning green when it used to be red/green?

NikeLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2012, 12:35 AM   #2
MBIETZ
Registered Member

With red planet the lower the light the greener and higher light makes it more red. Acros need a well encrusted base before they start any upwards growth once it has established a good base you will get vertical grow red planet is also a tabling acro so a larger base is needed to support it.

MBIETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2012, 06:24 AM   #3
Bdial
Registered Member

I have the same problem. Mine turned a magnificent green. Then started to Stn. I'll move it up and see if it turns red.

WINTER IS COMING
Bdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2012, 01:32 AM   #4
NikeLV
Registered Member

but I have the Red Planet on the very top level, middle of the tank, indirectly under 250w Radiums

Unread 08/16/2012, 04:53 PM   #5
ridetheducati
20 and Over Club

How old are the Radiums? Replace after 6 - 9 months.

Current Tank Info: 300g DD, SPS dominated, Apex, Tunze 6125s, ATB 1050, 400w MH, and Geo 618 Ca Reactor
ridetheducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2012, 05:08 PM   #6
bubonic
Registered Member

My buddy fragged me a piece awhile ago and it took about a month to start turning red. Mine was the same super green but no red. Once it encrusted the plug it started to turn

bubonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 12:08 AM   #7
NikeLV
Registered Member

ridetheducati - the radiums are about 2 months old
bubonic - I've had the red planet acro for about 4 months now and it isn't on a frag plug. I glued it directly on my live rock and it is decently encrusted, just green.

Unread 08/17/2012, 12:19 AM   #8
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetheducati View Post
How old are the Radiums? Replace after 6 - 9 months.
So many people seem to have the belief that all radiums need to be changed every 6-9 months... 250w radiums easily last a year, 400 watt radiums need to be changed more often to not lose a ton of intensity due to them being overdriver by the ballasts we use.

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 12:21 AM   #9
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

I would suspect once it grows more upward you'll see more red. What are your phospate levels and what do you use to test them?

Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 09:46 PM   #10
HHN
Registered Member

Similar

I have the same problem. I got a small 1 inch frag from a friend. It started to encrust a bit after about 5 weeks. It was then that I decided to crank up my lights a bit. I have Radion g2 Xr30 pros on AB+ program where the intensity of each point was about 40 %. It was only when I increased the intensity to about 60 % that it started to turn green; which contradicts a bit the theory that more intense lights bring out the green. What am I missing? Great PE. Alk-8.3, Calc-410, Mag-1300, Ph-0.03 and N-10. Nothing else has changed other than I started adding a bit of amino acids.

HHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 09:07 AM   #11
rvareef
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHN View Post
I have the same problem. I got a small 1 inch frag from a friend. It started to encrust a bit after about 5 weeks. It was then that I decided to crank up my lights a bit. I have Radion g2 Xr30 pros on AB+ program where the intensity of each point was about 40 %. It was only when I increased the intensity to about 60 % that it started to turn green; which contradicts a bit the theory that more intense lights bring out the green. What am I missing? Great PE. Alk-8.3, Calc-410, Mag-1300, Ph-0.03 and N-10. Nothing else has changed other than I started adding a bit of amino acids.
a lot of acros will go green before getting their mature colors

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2018, 09:54 PM   #12
HHN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvareef View Post
a lot of acros will go green before getting their mature colors
Good to know...actually having it happen now with a PC Rainbow. Both look healthy. Thanks

HHN is offline   Reply With Quote