Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/16/2018, 10:39 PM   #26
mannyo_09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveafish View Post
Turn your UV and V down a bit. Your more than likely burning your new additions as you ad them.

Well, I haven’t added any new livestock since I changed to the current schedule I have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mannyo_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 10:43 PM   #27
mannyo_09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
Red Sea reef Energy A/B add carbohydrates and aminos but not trace elements. Also kinda hard to believe that you have 0ppm phosphates from natural seawater, out here on the west coast natural seawater runs up to .25ppm phosphates. Gotta get them nitrates up to around 5 also.
You could also check the lfs rodi for chlorine
Cheers! Mark

So should I be adding trace elements also?

I think I’d be best if I just start to mix my own salt water and purchase an rodi system. I live in south Florida and I was doing research on how they treat the water down here and it seems they use small amount of chlorine and chloramine. Would a 4 stage rodi be sufficiently should I get a 5 stage to be safe?

Unread 08/16/2018, 10:50 PM   #28
Daddi0
Registered Member

I bought the BRS 6 stage with an extra membrane and it works well for me. I would wait to add trace minerals til your reef shows a "need" for them and you can test for them.
I was buying natural saltwater when I started reefing and we got to .45ppm phosphates. I started mixing my own saltwater with Red Sea blue bucket and my reef looks so much better.
Cheers! Mark

Unread 08/16/2018, 11:25 PM   #29
mannyo_09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
I bought the BRS 6 stage with an extra membrane and it works well for me. I would wait to add trace minerals til your reef shows a "need" for them and you can test for them.
I was buying natural saltwater when I started reefing and we got to .45ppm phosphates. I started mixing my own saltwater with Red Sea blue bucket and my reef looks so much better.
Cheers! Mark

Honestly I don’t think I’ve ever tested the water I get from my LFS. I think the soonest I’ve ever tested it, is maybe a week after doing the water change. and the reason I think I was getting a reading of 0 phosphates was because I was feeding my fish every other day, sometimes every two days and I would do a 20% water change once a month.

Unread 08/17/2018, 12:00 PM   #30
hkgar
Registered Member

A 4 phase RO/DI should be fine. That's what I use, but with a Spectrapure RO 99% rejection RO membrane.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 12:17 PM   #31
WVfishguy
Registered Member

This is off the wall, but possible:

You may have more nitrite, nitrate and ammonia than you think.

Enough to grow softies well, but kill SPS.

During a very hot spell many years ago, I noticed my test kit reading zero when I knew damn well the tank had not had time to cycle.

I had left my test reagents in the hot van, and the heat destroyed them. I had to throw away every reagent and buy new.

You may ask your local shop to test your water, or you could simply check your tests. (Hint: a drop of urine in an ammonia test will show a positive - if not, the reagent is bad.)

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 04:08 PM   #32
Tripod1404
Registered Member

I think you nitrate and phosphate levels are too low for the given alkalinity level. Either increase P and N or reduce the alkalinity. NSW is also very poor in soluble N and P, but the alkalinity is between ~6.5 - 7 dKH. If you desire to keep low nutrients like NSW, you need to keep alk low.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 10:35 PM   #33
mannyo_09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
This is off the wall, but possible:

You may have more nitrite, nitrate and ammonia than you think.

Enough to grow softies well, but kill SPS.

During a very hot spell many years ago, I noticed my test kit reading zero when I knew damn well the tank had not had time to cycle.

I had left my test reagents in the hot van, and the heat destroyed them. I had to throw away every reagent and buy new.

You may ask your local shop to test your water, or you could simply check your tests. (Hint: a drop of urine in an ammonia test will show a positive - if not, the reagent is bad.)

Thanks for the info, i will test them out. I’m looking to upgrade my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits to the Red Sea ones. But they have been kept in the stand since I purchased them

Unread 08/17/2018, 10:37 PM   #34
mannyo_09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
I think you nitrate and phosphate levels are too low for the given alkalinity level. Either increase P and N or reduce the alkalinity. NSW is also very poor in soluble N and P, but the alkalinity is between ~6.5 - 7 dKH. If you desire to keep low nutrients like NSW, you need to keep alk low.

I’m sure the alkalinity level is what my LFS keeps it at cause that’s where I get my water from. Once I start mixing my own salt water I’ll be able to get a lower alkalinity level as I will go with the Red Sea blue bucket for salt mix since I don’t have any heavy demand corals

Unread 08/17/2018, 10:59 PM   #35
WVfishguy
Registered Member

I hate to say this, but:
Trusting your live stock to a pet shop is tantamount to having a drunk pack your parachute.

You really should make your own water. It a very small tank, and it's just not that difficult.

Unread 08/17/2018, 11:07 PM   #36
mannyo_09
Registered Member

Quote:
I hate to say this, but:

Trusting your live stock to a pet shop is tantamount to having a drunk pack your parachute.

You really should make your own water. It a very small tank, and it's just not that difficult.

I originally had a 28g biocube and then got this 45 AIO and figured that for the small amounts of water changes I would be doing it was easier and more practical to just get my water already mixed from them. But now I’m realizing that’s not very smart

Unread 08/18/2018, 08:46 AM   #37
Alfrareef
Registered Member

Since you’re going for a larger tank, google this:
“Relationship between alk, NO3 and PO4 and how this relates to corals and zooxanthella”
and read the topic.

Alfrareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 04:36 PM   #38
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
I hate to say this, but:
I would imagine there are a number of responsible LFS owners who would disagree with you on this. Many also run tank maintenance businesses and know their stuff, so maybe paint with a smaller brush.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 05:39 PM   #39
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
I would imagine there are a number of responsible LFS owners who would disagree with you on this. Many also run tank maintenance businesses and know their stuff, so maybe paint with a smaller brush.

Kevin
Good point, well taken. I don't think of a "Pet Shop" as the Local Fish Store. The LFS's Ive been to that do maintenance are usually fish only with a few herps, but there are shops I know who do sell pets and do a fine job with maintenance. That includes the LFS owner who took over part of my route, so again, point taken.

Unread 08/18/2018, 08:34 PM   #40
mannyo_09
Registered Member

Quote:
Good point, well taken. I don't think of a "Pet Shop" as the Local Fish Store. The LFS's Ive been to that do maintenance are usually fish only with a few herps, but there are shops I know who do sell pets and do a fine job with maintenance. That includes the LFS owner who took over part of my route, so again, point taken.

The only LFS I’ve use is called strictly fish. And they only specialize in salt water aquariums. You can look them up, they have a website. And I’ve taken the time to talk with the owners and they have a strict maintenance schedule they follow and are extremely knowledgeable about salt water aquariums.

Unread 08/18/2018, 09:29 PM   #41
Daddi0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo_09 View Post
I’m sure the alkalinity level is what my LFS keeps it at cause that’s where I get my water from. Once I start mixing my own salt water I’ll be able to get a lower alkalinity level as I will go with the Red Sea blue bucket for salt mix since I don’t have any heavy demand corals

Although my LFS sells natural seawater, they dont use it in their reefs 'cause it is too expensive.