Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Rodeo_Roger
Registered Member

Opinions on new powerheads

I have a 300g 8'x2' and am going to be upgrading to some new powerheads. Looking for opinions on which route to go. I have decided on Jebao but am unsure if I should do one SW8 on each end of the tank, or to do 2 SW4's on each end, or just something else...any suggestions would be great.

Rodeo_Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 03:20 PM   #2
tom obrecht
Registered Member

I'd personally go Tunze if funds allow. Proven workhorses. I have a similar sized display and run four 6105's on a pulse mode. All sps and it does a great job!

Unread 02/08/2018, 04:20 PM   #3
Cheapreef
Registered Member

On a 8' long tank I would do a CP-40 or CP-55 on either end.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 08:59 PM   #4
bif24701
Registered Member

I simply do not trust these manufactures for any equipment.

Personally these are my only choices due to performance, durability/quality, safety, and flexibility.

1, Vortechs
2, Tunze
3, Maxspec Gyre
4, Neptune WAV

They are others that have some of the qualities I mentioned but not all.

I have an Vortech MP60, two Tunze 6105s, and two Neptune WAV powerheads in my 180 Reef. I love the MP60 and the Tunzes. The WAVs not as much but they are good pumps. Also I am able to control/program all these pumps directly from my APEX controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 09:08 PM   #5
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
I simply do not trust these manufactures for any equipment.

Personally these are my only choices due to performance, durability/quality, safety, and flexibility.

1, Vortechs
2, Tunze
3, Maxspec Gyre
4, Neptune WAV

They are others that have some of the qualities I mentioned but not all.

I have an Vortech MP60, two Tunze 6105s, and two Neptune WAV powerheads in my 180 Reef. I love the MP60 and the Tunzes. The WAVs not as much but they are good pumps. Also I am able to control/program all these pumps directly from my APEX controller.

I've had the same 2 Jebao pumps on my last tank for 2 years zero issues. You can also control any of the Jebao wavemakers, the CP models as well as there DC return pumps with Apex as well.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 10:46 PM   #6
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

These pumps are so hit and miss with their quality. Read the threads on these and is a 50/50 split, some last for 2 plus years and are quiet the other half have a failure in a few months or have noise issues. Get Some Tunzes or Vortex and be done with it. Buy once cry once.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 08:21 PM   #7
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
I've had the same 2 Jebao pumps on my last tank for 2 years zero issues. You can also control any of the Jebao wavemakers, the CP models as well as there DC return pumps with Apex as well.

IMO 2 years is not long term. I’ve had Bubble blaster and Vortech pumps last nearly 10 years or more. In fact, I’ve not had any Tunze, Bubble blaster, Vortech, or Sicce pump ever fail on me, yet.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 02/10/2018, 06:26 AM   #8
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
IMO 2 years is not long term. I’ve had Bubble blaster and Vortech pumps last nearly 10 years or more. In fact, I’ve not had any Tunze, Bubble blaster, Vortech, or Sicce pump ever fail on me, yet.

Agreed! In a recent Sanjay video he mentions one of his recommendations for a successful reef is quality equipment. I have been in the hobby close to 25 years and have seen (and used at times) less than great equipment...mostly due to price and hype. Price is often the enticement to purchase but once it fails the only thing that suffers are the animals we keep! I liked the comment above “but once cry once”! Proven equipment will provide a safety net down the road! When dealing with flow I wouldn’t skimp!

Unread 02/10/2018, 05:46 PM   #9
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom obrecht View Post
Agreed! In a recent Sanjay video he mentions one of his recommendations for a successful reef is quality equipment. I have been in the hobby close to 25 years and have seen (and used at times) less than great equipment...mostly due to price and hype. Price is often the enticement to purchase but once it fails the only thing that suffers are the animals we keep! I liked the comment above “but once cry once”! Proven equipment will provide a safety net down the road! When dealing with flow I wouldn’t skimp!

If after just a couple years my pumped failed on me and caused me to be set back I’ll be ****ed. Since I’ve set this system up I’ve not had any majors problems. Knock on wood. 2 years a Reef is just getting started, my colonies should grow huge and thick. Takes a lot more than two years to grow out a 18” hammer or acro colony. Our animals depend solely on us and the equipment to keep them alive and well. For me, just not worth risking years and years of growth for a savings, especially considering what we pay for our livestock.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge