Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/12/2017, 08:50 PM   #1
mickeyfish
Registered Member

New Tunze 9001 Skimmer

Question about the break in period on a new Tunze 9001 skimmer. I have been running this device in my new and cycling Biocube 32 (heavy nitrate presence during the cycle now) since 12/1. However, even with the water at the designated water line and the adjuster almost completely open, it has never produced any skim. I can see down the hole at the top that there are air bubbles and foam, but none rises to the top and into the cup.

Is this normal during the cycle of the tank and break in period for the device?

mickeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 10:34 PM   #2
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Skimmers usually take about 1 week or more to be broken in

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 06:11 PM   #3
rjjr1963
Registered Member

Mine started working almost immediately. My large skimmers do require about a week.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 06:52 PM   #4
mickeyfish
Registered Member

So it has been about two weeks now and nothing in the collection cup even though the water level is right on mark and valve is almost fully open. Tank is also loaded with diatoms and nitrates as the cycle concludes.

Should I be concerned? Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 12/13/2017, 09:39 PM   #5
Percula9
Registered Member

Is there any fish in the tank?If the bio load is low there won't be any skimmate.How are you cycling the tank?A tank is cycled when nitrites are no longer present.

Percula9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 10:13 PM   #6
mickeyfish
Registered Member

Nope no fish, I am doing a fishless cycle dosing ammonia and still have HIGH nitrites (off the chart). Waiting that out before I add the clean up crew.

That being said, there is little waste to skim I suppose. I thought it would pull out something though.

Unread 12/13/2017, 11:17 PM   #7
Percula9
Registered Member

There are no organics to skim.If nitrites are that high don't add anymore ammonia.Let the bio filter do its job.Once there are no more nitrites you will be cycled.The skimmer is only oxygenating the water.Once you add fish it will start to pull skim out of the water.

Percula9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 09:40 AM   #8
Abstract3000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percula9 View Post
There are no organics to skim.If nitrites are that high don't add anymore ammonia.Let the bio filter do its job.Once there are no more nitrites you will be cycled.The skimmer is only oxygenating the water.Once you add fish it will start to pull skim out of the water.
^^
That!

Abstract3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2017, 09:14 PM   #9
mickeyfish
Registered Member

All,

So I am now cycled and have two clowns. My tunze 9001 is still not pulling any skim. It either fills with clear water quickly or the cup remaining empty. I have been diligently keeping the after level at exactly the squiggle line on front of the device.

Unread 12/26/2017, 03:05 PM   #10
homer1475
Registered Member

Problem number 1 Tunze 9001.

While I generally like and use Tunze products, the 9001 is complete garbage. Have a browse through the nano section and you'll find all kinds of people with issues with that model.

It's not you, or how you adjust it, or if it's kept in the same exact water level, it truly is just a garbage skimmer.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2017, 05:31 PM   #11
rjjr1963
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfish View Post
All,

So I am now cycled and have two clowns. My tunze 9001 is still not pulling any skim. It either fills with clear water quickly or the cup remaining empty. I have been diligently keeping the after level at exactly the squiggle line on front of the device.

Are you adjusting the air valve at all? If you're at the water line and the air is 100% it's going to fill the cup rapidly with water. I have mine raised about the waterline and have the air intaked turned almost all the way down. Skimming great now.

Unread 12/26/2017, 08:35 PM   #12
mickeyfish
Registered Member

Yes, I forgot to mention. This is my point, I have adjusted the valve. But there seems to be no in between. I am probably 80% closed and if I open it up just a few degree turn of the screw it fills the cup. If I then tighten it just a little bit, I get nothing in the cup. Cannot seem to find the happy medium.

Unread 12/26/2017, 08:36 PM   #13
mickeyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Problem number 1 Tunze 9001.

While I generally like and use Tunze products, the 9001 is complete garbage. Have a browse through the nano section and you'll find all kinds of people with issues with that model.

It's not you, or how you adjust it, or if it's kept in the same exact water level, it truly is just a garbage skimmer.
Homer.. that may be the case, but SOME people must use it somewhat successfully. I mean I am not pulling anything from the water.

Unread 12/26/2017, 08:56 PM   #14
rjjr1963
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfish View Post
Yes, I forgot to mention. This is my point, I have adjusted the valve. But there seems to be no in between. I am probably 80% closed and if I open it up just a few degree turn of the screw it fills the cup. If I then tighten it just a little bit, I get nothing in the cup. Cannot seem to find the happy medium.

You shouldn't be able to see anything going into the bowl when you're adjusting it. It might take a day before you see anything building up in the bowl. A lot depends on your bioload. Try turning the air down just low enough that nothing is going up into the neck. Check it 24 hours later and see how it's going. It usually takes me a couple days to get it right because the air valve is so sensitive.

Unread 12/26/2017, 09:07 PM   #15
mickeyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjr1963 View Post
You shouldn't be able to see anything going into the bowl when you're adjusting it. It might take a day before you see anything building up in the bowl. A lot depends on your bioload. Try turning the air down just low enough that nothing is going up into the neck. Check it 24 hours later and see how it's going. It usually takes me a couple days to get it right because the air valve is so sensitive.

This is great advice. I was trying to dial it in so that the foam was just at the breaking point at the top of the cone. I will adjust and wait.

Thanks!