Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/13/2017, 11:17 AM   #1
malx
Registered Member

Elevated Level Question

Hi, All.

I have some elevated levels of Silicone and Zinc in my system. All SPS are doing great. Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, what were your issues or non-issues? Finally. Does anyone here have their ATO plumbed directly to their RODI unit and has that caused high levels of Silicone?

Let me know,
Joey

malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 11:43 AM   #2
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malx View Post
Hi, All.

I have some elevated levels of Silicone and Zinc in my system. All SPS are doing great. Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, what were your issues or non-issues? Finally. Does anyone here have their ATO plumbed directly to their RODI unit and has that caused high levels of Silicone?

Let me know,
Joey

Silica is the first thing to come off of anion resin when it is exhausted, so it is not unlikely that you would have silica get by your di stage towards the end of its life. As for having it plumbed directly, makes no difference. Its the same water no matter if you plumb it direct, scoop it out with a bucket and pour it right in, or use a small reservoir.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 05:54 PM   #3
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisanoal View Post
Silica is the first thing to come off of anion resin when it is exhausted, so it is not unlikely that you would have silica get by your di stage towards the end of its life. As for having it plumbed directly, makes no difference. Its the same water no matter if you plumb it direct, scoop it out with a bucket and pour it right in, or use a small reservoir.
Thanks. I did find that one of my DI resins was flipped upside-down and installed incorrectly but I do run a two stage DI resin... so not sure why the second one didn't catch it. Will monitor this closely.

Unread 12/13/2017, 06:19 PM   #4
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks. I did find that one of my DI resins was flipped upside-down and installed incorrectly but I do run a two stage DI resin... so not sure why the second one didn't catch it. Will monitor this closely.
Do you know if you have mixed bed resin or separate cation and anion cartridges?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Unread 12/15/2017, 03:42 PM   #5
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you know if you have mixed bed resin or separate cation and anion cartridges?

I'm using the BRS Color Changing Resin which I believe is mixed.

Unread 12/15/2017, 05:54 PM   #6
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm using the BRS Color Changing Resin which I believe is mixed.
Ok. The reason I asked is it is possible to have the second stage exhausted before the first if you are running separate cation and anion resin. Especially if you have high hardness feed water. Cation is first, stripping calcium/magnesium etc, carbonate takes up a lot of space on anion resin if not degassed first.

Unread 12/15/2017, 06:17 PM   #7
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok. The reason I asked is it is possible to have the second stage exhausted before the first if you are running separate cation and anion resin. Especially if you have high hardness feed water. Cation is first, stripping calcium/magnesium etc, carbonate takes up a lot of space on anion resin if not degassed first.

Yeah makes total sense! I kind of assumed why you were asking when I read your question. Good call though.

Unread 12/15/2017, 06:37 PM   #8
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Are you dosing anything other than cal and mag? Silica is in a lot if "trace" element supplements.

DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2017, 04:11 AM   #9
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Zinc is a popular additive in the "sps supplements" to bring out color. What it is really doing is killing some of the Zoox to make the color contrast better. The European supplements use a lot of this. Zinc can be deadly to inverts at high levels... like most metals.

Silicone is also in a lot of supplements, as stated above.

If you are regularly changing water, I would not worry about this. I don't think that you should have too many issues at slightly-high levels as long as water changes keep them there.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote