Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/21/2006, 01:13 AM   #76
Cuby2k
Cuby2k

Quote:
Originally posted by Zephrant
You've got it Rodjer-

I've found an Iwaki 70 . . . . . .they are not the quietest pumps.
Amen Brother. For the cost of these babies I am very disappointed in their overall performance, noise being the very least impressive.

AND . . . I own this page. A first for me. I have found it is the simple things in life . . .

Current Tank Info: 180 display, 100 gal DIY fuge/sump, DIY skimmer.
Cuby2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2006, 05:21 AM   #77
danco
Premium Member

Ok hope this works.. first time posting pics here. My first DIY dual beckett skimmer, inspired by your monster skimmer thread. I am running this with a hammerhead pump and like the way it skims

danco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2006, 05:36 AM   #78
danco
Premium Member

Pics of it running

danco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2006, 08:35 AM   #79
naterealbig
Premium Member

I have been following both threads, as I have been making plans to build a skimmer similar to the one in Zeph's original "monster beckett" thread. I have a 180 gallon tank(reef - sps), that I will have heavily stocked, which will have around 250-280 total system gallons. I am going to have a refugium and a prop tank for it, included in this volume. You stated that your original monster beckett would be sufficient for up to a 500 gal. system. How would it fare on my planned set up? Should I make plans for a larger skimmer?

Nate

Unread 12/21/2006, 09:01 AM   #80
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Always gotta add the wife to the tall skimmer photos. I tried, but did not get full cooperation. I asked for a smile and the Vanna look... and instead got a frown and a "be happy with what you got" comment.

My question would to those who have used these monsters and modern NW monsters.. do you guys feel the beckett is still viable? IE is the increased power consumption efficient in terms of increased skimming over the NW designs?

Bean

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2006, 10:33 AM   #81
Cuby2k
Cuby2k

I'll add my 2 cents Bean. My skimmer is a combo unit with a beckett head and a NW pump as well. (I'll post a pic in a minute) For the power consumption I think the NW beats the beckett hands down as far as skimming capacity. I see no reason why a NW pump couldn't be used in addition to a taller main tower and then a smaller recirc pump used to return water to the sump (I prefer the out of sump design)

I wish I had a kw meter to get some actual numbers but I am pretty sure my Iwaki 70 is a power hog.

Unread 12/21/2006, 10:43 AM   #82
Cuby2k
Cuby2k

Let me qualify the picture here; ahem. My FIRST attempt with acrylic work AND my first attempt at a skimmer. One year ago today I hardly knew what a skimmer was so from the time I first put this little baby together to the present picture it has undergone a few ghetto type transitions.

Anyway in the front is the NW pump and to the right you can see the beckett head and enclosure. I don't mean to take away from its effectiveness, the thing churns dark butter but we all want the most cost effective and energy efficient system we can get I think.

Unread 12/21/2006, 11:27 AM   #83
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

is that a drip cup under that union... hehe

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2006, 02:00 PM   #84
Cuby2k
Cuby2k

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
is that a drip cup under that union... hehe
UH, yeah. That was recommended by the installer. it seems he had a tough time getting the venturi sealed into the union. No matter how much silicone he added he still wanted that cup there.

As it turns out, I may want to install a PAN under the entire assembly.