Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2017, 09:58 PM   #851
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
That lil blotchy is cute. They are very cool fish!
Yeah I just had to have him when I saw him!! He's an absolute guts! Loves his pellets!

I must admit, I'm really starting to miss my sticks though I literally can't wait to have the tank filled with them again!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 03:17 AM   #852
Rakie
In Memoriam

Great fish pickups Dom, stellar choices. Love hawkfish, damn things eat anything that'll fit in their mouths though.

I'm sure you know this, but if you're partial to any shrimp enjoy 'em while they last.

This little dude maxes out at 2", didn't stop him from taking a 3" shrimp

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 01:45 PM   #853
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Well as I mentioned I made some rather big purchases in the fishlist over the weekend and maybe some more to come in the next week or two

I took a few frags to Deer Park on the weekend which helped out in my mass spending spree but I walked out with 4 amazing fish Two I'd put on hold the previous week and a pair that I simply couldn't help myself! I ended up walking out with a gorgeous Colini angelfish, the teeny tiniest little blotched anthia you've ever seen and a pair of juvenile flame hawks

The tank is still chugging along and doing it's thing though

Looking good, Dom.. despite the lack of acros.. I’ll let it pass for now... for now.
Love those fish. Flame hawk is a fav of mine. So is the anthias.
I don’t seem to get email updates anymore since downloading tapatalk..
oh well.. I can stalk you the old fashioned way..
When are you good to put some sticks back?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 05:55 PM   #854
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Quote:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
That's a beatiful fish...

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Current Tank Info: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2596707
Alex Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 03:52 PM   #855
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Great fish pickups Dom, stellar choices. Love hawkfish, damn things eat anything that'll fit in their mouths though.

I'm sure you know this, but if you're partial to any shrimp enjoy 'em while they last.

This little dude maxes out at 2", didn't stop him from taking a 3" shrimp
Thanks man This is my third pair of flame hawks so I'm pretty onto them and their behaviour haha After the loss of my original pair (a few years old) I was devastated and the second pair did the same thing so I was more than likely never getting more again as i was too heartbroken but these little guys pulled at my heart strings so I HAD too

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Looking good, Dom.. despite the lack of acros.. I’ll let it pass for now... for now.
Love those fish. Flame hawk is a fav of mine. So is the anthias.
I don’t seem to get email updates anymore since downloading tapatalk..
oh well.. I can stalk you the old fashioned way..
When are you good to put some sticks back?
haha thanks Matt! Not too much longer left to wait then I'm going to raid everyone's tank that I know for frags haha and maybe ask the guys at Sustainable Reefs very nicely to send some killer pieces to Dave's haha

Yeah, I went a little overboard with the fish haha but I'm super happy! You should see how fat the little borb is!! I'm feeding like crazy at the moment too, a couple of cubes of frozen a day and several big pellet feeds Everyone is starting to get fat haha and not to mention half a scallop twice a week or so! Burgers goes absolutely nuts as soon as I touch the food clip as he knows the scallop is coming and if I'm not quick enough he swims round pecking my hand to hurry me up haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Costa View Post
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
That's a beatiful fish...
Yep thanks Alex!! I just couldn't pass him up when I saw him at the store!!

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Unread 12/11/2017, 06:49 AM   #856
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Wrangy, Do you realize how wrong that statement is? I never realized Sustainable Reefs held back their nice stuff!

Marty

Quote:
And maybe ask the guys at Sustainable Reefs very nicely to send some killer pieces to Dave's haha

martinphillip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 04:52 AM   #857
Rakie
In Memoriam

Hawkfish are intelligent and inquisitive little guys for sure. I had a small biocube on my desk with a little pygmy hawk that was just shy of 2". He would perch right next to me and watch me / my computer all day. He loved staring at the screen especially, I think he was just watching the shifting colors and waiting for food to come out of it -- kept his attention none the less.

Unread 01/23/2018, 03:23 PM   #858
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Well I'd like everyone to know that I'm still alive and so is the tank

I had a fantastic time in the US and even the snow storms in NY that kept us stuck there for three days was an experience and a half haha I did manage to visit AquaSD and Two Guys Corals which were both amazing! There was a couple I missed out on but I'll get to them next time!

The tank survived my absence really well, my partner was amazing looking after my babies The only big bad news was that we lost my big baby maxima she was lost under mysterious circumstances and no idea why. It certainly wasn't from lack of care from my partner though (her friends at work are calling her the "Clam Killer" now haha). So while that news was pretty upsetting as you can imagine all the fish are happy and safe and all the other corals are doing really well

The best part about getting back is now that the tank has been completely acro free for the last 10wks or so, it's time for the fun to begin again!!
I have a few big plans for the restocking process and it should be a rather fun time! I'm excited to say the least! My plans are to get at least 50% of the water changed in the next couple of weeks, run the battery of tests twice a week and get two or three Triton tests done over the next month or two done. On top of that, guess who's FINALLY getting a screen top made haha. TopLids are making my top for me and so far he's been absolutely fantastic to deal with so I'll be doing a small review on them when I get my top on the tank!!

I spend a few hours last weekend giving the tank a good scrub, clean, water change and rescape too. Cleaned all the glass, tidied the frag tank, got bullied by my female maroon lol and overhauled the scape! It looks like a big ol' pile of rocks but it's all lifted and open underneath using rebar mesh chairs (which are amazing to use for reefing purposes haha) and the reason I haven't gone super creative with the scape is it's tailored more for the happiness of the fish than having a crazy wack-a-doodle scape There's lots of acro mounting space and I already have the layout and acro placements in my head so it's just a matter of getting there now

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 01/23/2018, 05:10 PM   #859
Rakie
In Memoriam

Next time you're down here and you check out Vivid Aquariums -- Ask about the back room. ALL the good stuff is hidden in the back, gotta ask to see.

Unread 01/23/2018, 07:17 PM   #860
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Dom, hows your American accent?
Glad to see you back..
Your clean reef is getting on my nerves...
I NEED ACRO BUSH!!!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 07:45 PM   #861
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Next time you're down here and you check out Vivid Aquariums -- Ask about the back room. ALL the good stuff is hidden in the back, gotta ask to see.
I definitely wanted to go and visit Vivid while I was in LA but I didn't have a way or a chance to get out there and have a look unfortunately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Hey Dom, hows your American accent?
Glad to see you back..
Your clean reef is getting on my nerves...
I NEED ACRO BUSH!!!

haha accent is still as Australian as they come, had a few minor confusions from people not being able to understand what I was saying

I'm happy to be back lol and it's getting on my nerves as well now!! I just want acro's again I'm going to do a 50L water change tonight and run a full battery of tests on the tank to see where I'm at in the hopes of maybe adding a piece or two this week as the delivery is meant to be pretty insane!! lol

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 01/29/2018, 09:43 PM   #862
Pife
Registered Member

I'm happy you had a good time over here. I'm excited to see what you fill that tank up with.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 08:39 AM   #863
martinphillip03
Registered Member

What sort of protocol are you going to use to make sure you don't get any pests again?

Marty

Unread 02/01/2018, 04:31 PM   #864
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
I'm happy you had a good time over here. I'm excited to see what you fill that tank up with.
Hopefully a few otherwise unobtainable goodies but definitely lots of super premo Sustainable Reefs acros! The shipment will be in at 11am today and I'll be there for opening tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinphillip03 View Post
What sort of protocol are you going to use to make sure you don't get any pests again?

Marty
Not buying from the place they came from, trusting my gut instinct and a more thorough examination process lol. Sustainable Reefs are super 100% reliable so I have no concerns from any acro that come from there and no concerns over any acro that comes from Deer Park! It was the only online shop that an order came from that had them and I didn't trust my instincts on it and that's how I got them! So no orders from them and I'll be sweet! haha

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 02/02/2018, 09:03 PM   #865
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Myself, I would go to Andrews house when he is not home and "borrow" any across you deem rooftop worthy. then leave kangaroo prints around, and blame it on the Acroroo!

Marty

Quote:
Hopefully a few otherwise unobtainable goodies but definitely lots of super premo Sustainable Reefs acros! The shipment will be in at 11am today and I'll be there for opening tomorrow

Not buying from the place they came from, trusting my gut instinct and a more thorough examination process lol. Sustainable Reefs are super 100% reliable so I have no concerns from any acro that come from there and no concerns over any acro that comes from Deer Park! It was the only online shop that an order came from that had them and I didn't trust my instincts on it and that's how I got them! So no orders from them and I'll be sweet! haha

Unread 02/03/2018, 11:17 PM   #866
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Myself, I would go to Andrews house when he is not home and "borrow" any across you deem rooftop worthy. then leave kangaroo prints around, and blame it on the Acroroo!

Marty
Haha he was pretty threatening when I suggested that might happen now I'm nearly ready again

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 02/03/2018, 11:20 PM   #867
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

The bright side of no acro's in the tank is that nobody is bothered by the nutrient levels... 50ppm nitrates and 0.4ppm phos... Ooops!

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 02/04/2018, 01:40 AM   #868
biggles
Registered Member

Quote:

Marty
I will blame it on you Marty...........

Can i have this fish please wormer. I call anyone who has, or has had AEFW a ' wormer ' so don't take offence. It sounds a lot better than ' unclean ' or ' tainted ' which is what you really are tbh

Unread 02/04/2018, 06:19 AM   #869
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Quote:

Marty
Dom,
I think it sounds like a plan....a good one, indeed!!!

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Current Tank Info: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2596707
Alex Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 04:03 PM   #870
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Can i have this fish please wormer. I call anyone who has, or has had AEFW a ' wormer ' so don't take offence. It sounds a lot better than ' unclean ' or ' tainted ' which is what you really are tbh

He is an absolute guts!! Loves his food and attention lol I may be the tainted unclean one but you know I have the secret source of goodies to bribe you with now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Costa View Post
Dom,
I think it sounds like a plan....a good one, indeed!!!
You guys are trying to get me beat up!

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 02/05/2018, 07:58 PM   #871
markalot

I was here. Cute fish, how much longer do you have to go acro less?

Unread 02/07/2018, 04:01 PM   #872
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
I was here. Cute fish, how much longer do you have to go acro less?
Acro-less period is over, just need to get round to actually adding some! haha

100L in water changes done so far this week! Another 50L to do tonight and then again tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday! That'll be 300L in water changes done in a week which is pretty much 100%! Should clear things up nicely. I'm using NSW at the moment due to it's ease but I'm thinking about getting a 25kg bag of Red Sea Blue Bucket tomorrow to start getting some more controlled water going through the tank

All in preparations for some goodies that will be arriving next week! haha

Courtesy of Nils:
Unread 02/07/2018, 10:11 PM   #873
Pife
Registered Member

Buddy it seems like forever since you've kept acros. I can't wait to see some of that aussie fire!

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 10:19 PM   #874
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Yeah that tank needs some sticks. What happened to the large clam? It was a nice one.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 11:52 PM   #875
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Quote:
Buddy it seems like forever since you've kept acros. I can't wait to see some of that aussie fire!
I HAAAVVVEEEE AAACCCRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'S *ahem*

Today I added several tester pieces into the tank a shortcake, a spath and a tricolour type thing! Should give a well covered base to know what's going on in the tank :beach bum: in time for some Red Dragon, WWC Pink Cadillac and Bubblegum Digi to arrive for me later this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReefT4r View Post
Yeah that tank needs some sticks. What happened to the large clam? It was a nice one.
It finally has some again!!
She was lost while I was away no idea why but it was a sad lost that hurt a lot but sometimes these things happen so I'll be on the hunt for some new babies!

Courtesy of Nils: