Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2017, 08:48 PM   #1
JD Reefer
Registered Member

Bio Cube 32 with Steve's LED upgrade.

Hi everyone,

New this forum and have recently upgraded my bio cube 32 with the Steve's LED. Wanted to see if anyone could share there lighting Schedule. I went with the Hurricane x controller. Thank yoj

JD Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 09:13 PM   #2
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Reefer View Post
Hi everyone,

New this forum and have recently upgraded my bio cube 32 with the Steve's LED. Wanted to see if anyone could share there lighting Schedule. I went with the Hurricane x controller. Thank yoj
Hey man, welcome to the forum! I saw your question on the old post, but figured I'd answer here instead. Our lights are the SH**, so good choice!! Definitely take the advice in Steve's LEDs acclimation guide... Much needed, only start them off at 35-37% and gradually get them up over about 2 months.

I've got mine set to come on at 1pm and off at 12am with a 90 minute ramp up time and a 90 minute ramp down time starting at 10:30pm... So between 11 and 12 the tank is blue only. I used to have the lights start to come on at 11:00am, but realized over time that the only thing benefiting from the lights on that long was algae. Lol.
On this schedule, everything seems to be doing very well and is flourishing. I've got my blues (channel 1) at 3360 and my whites (channel 2) at 2170... So the math works out to my lights being at about 67% which is plenty high enough. If I turned them up much higher, even my SPS would start bleaching, so be mindful of that.

Here's a pic of my setup for reference

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ryan Darilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 02:04 PM   #3
alanbetiger
Registered Member

I had one of Steve's first prototypes on a Biocube. Mine was ghetto so just turned off and on with manual dimmers. I had them about 80% on for 12 hours each day and grew SPS and a clam really well for about 5 years before I sold the tank

alanbetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Krzydmnd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Reefer View Post
Hi everyone,

Welcome! I run at 65% blues and 20% whites during the day and in getting good growth and color on a few acans up high and everything else in the tank seems to get happy too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Krzydmnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 04:29 PM   #5
yankeeboy73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Darilek View Post

I've got mine set to come on at 1pm and off at 12am with a 90 minute ramp up time and a 90 minute ramp down time starting at 10:30pm... So between 11 and 12 the tank is blue only. I used to have the lights start to come on at 11:00am, but realized over time that the only thing benefiting from the lights on that long was algae. Lol.
Gorgeous tank, BTW...I hope for my 32G BioCube to look like yours someday.

So, I am somewhat of a noob. For reference, here is exactly what I am using:

8794102401 Biocube 32 LED Turbo Upgrade System- Plug and Play
Digital LED Controller: HurricaneX Digital LED Controller + Cable + Temperature Probe
Iridescence Booster: Iridescence Booster LED combination

I installed Steve's LED Retrofit kit (quite simply, BTW) last week. Just raised my levels the recommended amount yesterday on schedule. I setup the lights using the recommended schedule exactly as they stated, and have since changed the hours - 7AM/6PM for me w the 90 minute ramp. That being said, with the recommended settings, my lights switched to a dim purple at midnight and stay on all night. With the Biocube lights, I was able to set it up for the lights to turn off at midnight, and back on in the morning...so I had from morning to night - Sunrise-Daytime-Sunset-Off cycle. The Clowns loved the lights being off, they used to sleep on top of each other in the corner...my wife came downstairs last night and said the lights were dark purple and the fish weren't sleeping like they used to. What the heck am I doing wrong? I cannot figure out how to get them to shutoff as a part of my setup. Any advice?

Also, I would love to know if anyone is using the lights with another controller - one they can program from a phone app or something. I don't care for the HurricaneX, but it will do for now.
Thanks!

yankeeboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 07:54 PM   #6
mickeyfish
Registered Member

That tank looks awesome! For reference my Biocube 32 is currently cycling and I too hope it will look like yours some day. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on Steve’s LED kit, just been holding off since I just purchased everything else.

Can you tell us what some of the corals you have are? I’d love to mode my tank somewhat after yours. What is the clownfish hosting in in the picture?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2018, 11:47 PM   #7
Cseque
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeboy73 View Post
the fish weren't sleeping like they used to. What the heck am I doing wrong? I cannot figure out how to get them to shutoff as a part of my setup. Any advice?

Thanks!
Did you get them to shut off? I just got mine today and i don't know how to get them off during the night!

I want them on from 11am to 9 pm, 2 hours blue in the mornign and night, so i set sunrise, 11am sunset 7pm with the rump up time for channel 2 at 120 min, but they didnt shut off!

Cseque is offline   Reply With Quote