Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/12/2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Live Rocker
Registered Member

Can someone tell me what skimmer this is please?

I bought a 200 gallon used tank and the skimmer came with it. I would like to know if anyone knows what type it is so I can do some research about it. Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg skimmer.jpg (46.3 KB, 80 views)
Live Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 05:12 PM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

It rather looks like an old MTC skimmer based on the way it is built, though I don't necessarily remember one specifically like that. It must be quite old (20 yrs plus) just based on the pump. It's the original incarnation of the Lifegard quiet one pump that used a Grundfos motor block. Marginally salt water safe and prone to burning out (I had a few of them in the 1990s).

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 05:14 PM   #3
Live Rocker
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply - do you think I should get rid of it?

Live Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 05:42 PM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Definitely a MTC product.

Unread 12/12/2017, 08:26 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Hard to tell from the picture (and as I said, I don't recall that specific model) how the air is injected. At the very least I think you'd want to replace the pump. Skimmer designs haven't really advanced basic performance all that much once lime wood air stones were abandoned, so I'd imagine it would still work fine.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 12/13/2017, 10:06 PM   #6
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I still have one of those pumps, and it never gave me any trouble.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 05:40 PM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

All my red bodied ones burned up. They then had a blue colored one, still with a Grundfos block that's was better. They're completely redesigned now.

Unread 12/14/2017, 10:04 PM   #8
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I am not sure exactly what color it is, it is easier to say I have one then find it, I am condensing my stuff rubbermade tubs. It is definitely old.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote