Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/07/2008, 07:18 PM   #1
insanefishguy
Registered Member

what to use to attach plastic to glass

ok, so I am currently in the process of setting up a 125. I had the tank drilled, so the holes are on the back pane. In order to maximize my surface skimming without being to obtrusive, I made two "overflows" out of a cutoff section of a black polypropelene catch basin tub from lowes. Being the dipstick that I am sometimes, I figured I could just silicone them in place over the holes. I know that I have read many times that silicone will not hold acrylic to glass, but I just didnt think about it. Can I use an epoxy or superglue to hold them in place? Or mabe gorilla glue? Does anyone know if that is safe?

insanefishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2008, 07:20 PM   #2
insanefishguy
Registered Member

right now they are siliconed on the back pane, and I have to say that it seems like they are really stuck fast. If I am not mistaken it is the expanding and/or contracting at different temps that causes the failure between plastics and glass with silicone

Current Tank Info: 335 total gallon system: 125 mixed reef under HO t5'S, 40g fuge, 75g frag tank, 55g sump, and 40g water change reservoir
Old 03/07/2008, 07:33 PM   #3
YankyTexan
Registered Member

GE makes a product I purchased at Lowes. It is a red 2.8 oz. tube titled:

100% Silicone Sealant for Lexan sheet & other plastics.

I used it in my DIY to adhere acryllic to glass. It forms a very strong bond.

YankyTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2008, 07:36 PM   #4
insanefishguy
Registered Member

hmmmm also silicone? I know exactly what you are talking about. I worked in lowes for over a year.

Current Tank Info: 335 total gallon system: 125 mixed reef under HO t5'S, 40g fuge, 75g frag tank, 55g sump, and 40g water change reservoir
Old 03/07/2008, 09:39 PM   #5
FFrankie
Registered Member

I used CR LAURENCE CRL Clear Aquarium Silicone Sealant with great results when i installed my coast to coast overflow. I clamped the plastic tight in place with a thin bead only on the edge. Then when cured I went back and gave it that factory edge look. Remember that Silicone takes up to two weeks to fully cure.

FFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2008, 06:05 AM   #6
YankyTexan
Registered Member

Prepping each surface properly as well as allowing optimal time for curing (as FFrankie said) is crucial to the success of the job. I let mine cure 7 days.

YankyTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2008, 04:11 PM   #7
jgwhite
Registered Member

I use super glue in my tanks alot. Never any problems.

jgwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2008, 05:13 PM   #8
insanefishguy
Registered Member

thanks guys. I didnt know that silicone took two weeks to fully cure. It has been sitting about a week now, I guess I can wait a little longer.
Any thoughts on running some puper glue along the inside edge just to add some strength? I figure if the silicone is holding the glass properly then maybe the super glue will at least help adhere the plastic and the silicone, but maybe Im being foolish.

Old 03/10/2008, 08:46 AM   #9
ReeferAl
Premium Member

I have previously found that Goop makes a very strong bond between glass and acrylic. As far as gluing polypropylene though, I couldn't say. All plastics are different. Some, such as polyethylene, can't be glued at all.

Allen

ReeferAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2008, 08:52 AM   #10
ReeferAl
Premium Member

I found some information
here
on gluing, or rather the inability to glue, polyethylene and polypropylene.

Quote:
Cyanoacrylate, epoxy, polyurethane, silicone (RTV for example), and most acrylic adhesives do not stick to polypropylene and polyethylene.
That link also shows a new adhesive that supposedly will work, Scotch-weld DP 8005. HTH

Allen

Old 03/10/2008, 01:31 PM   #11
insanefishguy
Registered Member

Interesting, but disappointing. I dont know what I am going to do. SO far, they are still in place. I have really pulled on them and they have not budged. I suppose I should make something better before I move all my stuff into the tank, but I want so badly to just see what happens and be optomistic.

Old 03/10/2008, 03:14 PM   #12
Naptalene
Registered Member

My tanks been running for a while with silicone holding it. LOTS of silicone, it's almost acting as rim for the perspex to push against.

I also fill the overflow first (have a durso) to provide a bit of support against the pressure of the tanks water (minimal help I know but makes me feel better

Current Tank Info: 80L SPS nano
Naptalene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2008, 08:52 PM   #13
ReeferAl
Premium Member

If it's just holding an internal overflow in place then silicone would probably suffice as it doesn't have to be that strong and a failure would not be catastrophic. OTOH, if you were attaching an external overflow then I would definitely use the "proper" glue.

Old 03/10/2008, 09:33 PM   #14
leebo_28
Registered Member

my 90 overflow is sealed from factory with silicone..i think it more or less wedges it there with enough silicone to seal it too

Current Tank Info: year 1/2 still new 90rr :(
leebo_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2020, 08:34 AM   #15
Ritesh
Registered Member

Guys I'm trying to make a little fish tank by gluing a glass panel to a plastic container. Can I use solid in or superglue . Which one is better.

Ritesh is offline   Reply With Quote