Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Tank And Reef Society (STARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2011, 11:34 AM   #76
jtinoco
Registered Member

Sad to report that the star didn't make it. It started getting a white haze on it and still hadn't moved. Weird thing is that it never "melted" like most of the websites said it would nor did it lose any arms. CUC didn't touch it either. Neither the hermits nor my Sally lightfoots. Weird!

It stunk really bad when I took it out of the tank. The sand under it was turning black and its stomach was protruding out. Good thing I got it out before it polluted the tank even more.
Whew!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Mixed Reef
jtinoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 11:37 AM   #77
jtinoco
Registered Member

I thought be battle with the hair algae was over but I guess not. Since the tank was drilled I've been getting the hair algae again. I have pruned it by hand but continues to grow. BTW I think it's briopsis. The chaeto I got from Hans has quadrupled in size since I got it but doesnt seem to be beating the algae at the nutrients. I am still dosing vodka and have raised the dose. Seems the briopsis is immune to it now. Lol.

What I have noticed is that the algae is only growing on the rock I previously had and there is none on the rock I added that came from Jay.

I am considering pulling out all the infected rock and just killing it out in the sun and then reintroduce it slowly back in the main tank.

Any thoughts on this?

Unread 05/04/2011, 11:58 AM   #78
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtinoco View Post
What I have noticed is that the algae is only growing on the rock I previously had and there is none on the rock I added that came from Jay.

I am considering pulling out all the infected rock and just killing it out in the sun and then reintroduce it slowly back in the main tank.

Any thoughts on this?

That other rock could have a lot of phosphates in it? Not sure. Was that rock always in the tank?

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
jmait769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 12:24 PM   #79
jtinoco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmait769 View Post
That other rock could have a lot of phosphates in it? Not sure. Was that rock always in the tank?

Jay
Yes. That's the rock the tank came with. Before the drilling the algae had disappeared after dosing the vodka. Now it's back and not receding at all.

Think killing it off would help?

Unread 05/04/2011, 01:54 PM   #80
deehz
Registered Member

Quote:
Sad to report that the star didn't make it. It started getting a white haze on it and still hadn't moved. Weird thing is that it never "melted" like most of the websites said it would nor did it lose any arms. CUC didn't touch it either. Neither the hermits nor my Sally lightfoots. Weird!

It stunk really bad when I took it out of the tank. The sand under it was turning black and its stomach was protruding out. Good thing I got it out before it polluted the tank even more.
Whew!!

They wont let go of their arms when they die. The best way to check if they are is if they start "spewing" their guts out. That is a best way of knowing the star fish is doing ok or not. I would wait a little longer to introduce one brotha. And you are right, man are they putrid when they die. Dang, that smell is f'in horrible!

Quote:

Any thoughts on this?

As you know, when live rock is covered with hair algae/algae, there are nutrients that are "locked/absorbed" by the rock itself. So it may take a long while before that is absorbed by the bacteria. So cooking out in the sun in a black container (remember, must be pitch black with constant water changes) might be the way to go. However, this should be the very last option since there are many available to you.

I think any system that are introducing a bacterial source via food (vodka biopellets) eventually will balance out. What I mean is the vodka that is being introduced into the system to promote a food source for the bacteria will eventually be ineffective (remember, vodka in the ocean is not natural). Why? The bacteria that absorbs the food source via the vodka to combat NO3/PO4 will eventually stop absorbing nutrients (NO3/PO4)--it has reached a balance. Just like a skimmer that no longer produces skimmate, the system has balanced and this happened to my system. This happens very naturally in nature as well as in closed systems where a balance has been reached regardless of how much more food source is introduced.

Since you are handy, try an ATS--algae turf scrubber. its very inexpensive and are very effective at combating algae as well as absorbing nutrients in your system. The big plus about an ATS is that it is natural!!! Algae of all type are found in the oceans including reefs and are symbiotic to a reef. Its just when we see hair algae in our systems, we go into destruction mode. Plus, you don't have to unplug or get rid of your skimmer.

My next system is going to be skimmerless and will have 2 ATS systems working non-stop. Here is some reading on ATS and you could type it in on google with tons of information on it. Either way, "cooking" your rock now should be the very last resort. Good luck and happy hunting brotha. If you have any questions, you know how to reach me!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1977420

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...+turf+scrubber

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi
deehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 01:56 PM   #81
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Wondering what your water parameters are testing at? I’m sorry, you may have stated this before, what is the water source for top off?

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
Unread 05/04/2011, 02:03 PM   #82
jtinoco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmait769 View Post
Wondering what your water parameters are testing at? I’m sorry, you may have stated this before, what is the water source for top off?

Jay
I tested yesterday since the other tank is cycling already. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and phosphate are all at zero. This may be cuz of the vodka

I top off with water from the water mills. I don't have a TDS meter which I should get but I do test the water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and phosphate. If it has any detectable amounts I won't use it in the tank.

Last edited by jtinoco; 05/04/2011 at 02:09 PM.
Unread 05/04/2011, 02:28 PM   #83
jtinoco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehz View Post
They wont let go of their arms when they die. The best way to check if they are is if they start "spewing" their guts out. That is a best way of knowing the star fish is doing ok or not. I would wait a little longer to introduce one brotha. And you are right, man are they putrid when they die. Dang, that smell is f'in horrible!

As you know, when live rock is covered with hair algae/algae, there are nutrients that are "locked/absorbed" by the rock itself. So it may take a long while before that is absorbed by the bacteria. So cooking out in the sun in a black container (remember, must be pitch black with constant water changes) might be the way to go. However, this should be the very last option since there are many available to you.

I think any system that are introducing a bacterial source via food (vodka biopellets) eventually will balance out. What I mean is the vodka that is being introduced into the system to promote a food source for the bacteria will eventually be ineffective (remember, vodka in the ocean is not natural). Why? The bacteria that absorbs the food source via the vodka to combat NO3/PO4 will eventually stop absorbing nutrients (NO3/PO4)--it has reached a balance. Just like a skimmer that no longer produces skimmate, the system has balanced and this happened to my system. This happens very naturally in nature as well as in closed systems where a balance has been reached regardless of how much more food source is introduced.

Since you are handy, try an ATS--algae turf scrubber. its very inexpensive and are very effective at combating algae as well as absorbing nutrients in your system. The big plus about an ATS is that it is natural!!! Algae of all type are found in the oceans including reefs and are symbiotic to a reef. Its just when we see hair algae in our systems, we go into destruction mode. Plus, you don't have to unplug or get rid of your skimmer.

My next system is going to be skimmerless and will have 2 ATS systems working non-stop. Here is some reading on ATS and you could type it in on google with tons of information on it. Either way, "cooking" your rock now should be the very last resort. Good luck and happy hunting brotha. If you have any questions, you know how to reach me!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1977420

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...+turf+scrubber
I've read into the ATS and they look cool. Just don't think I have enough space for it.

About cooking the rock I don't mind much since it's only a few rocks that grow the algae. Those would be the only ones being cooked.

Unread 05/04/2011, 02:53 PM   #84
jmait769
-CSHFLW

I’d cook them then if there are only a few. Watch the tank while they are cooking and if you have a reoccurrence you know it something further in the tank.

Jay

Unread 05/04/2011, 03:06 PM   #85
mistaflicksta
Registered Member

Quote:
I tested yesterday since the other tank is cycling already.
What is this I hear? You are cyclling another tank and there is no build thread?

Current Tank Info: 150H(48LX24WX30H), 302 Aquatics sump w/ATS, NWB 200 reef octopus skimmer w/DC pump, 2× MP40W, Varios 6 return pump, RKE, Avast Marine Kalk reactor, Kessil AP700
mistaflicksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2011, 03:09 PM   #86
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

Plus 1 ^^^^^^^

Unread 05/04/2011, 03:15 PM   #87
jtinoco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaflicksta View Post
What is this I hear? You are cyclling another tank and there is no build thread?
Careful Erik! You might bite your tongue. Lol.

Unread 05/10/2011, 07:40 AM   #88
jtinoco
Registered Member

Here is an update on the tank. I got tired of the algae and just scrubbed the crap out of it again with a wire brush. My theory is that if I can kill off most of the algae, the chaeto will be able to start taking in most of the phosphate before the algae starts to grow again. We'll see how it goes.

Unread 05/10/2011, 07:43 AM   #89
jtinoco
Registered Member

Unread 05/17/2011, 05:11 PM   #90
jtinoco
Registered Member

Update.

Had an issue on Sunday. Woke up to find a puddle of water near the tank. Checked everything and I found that the tank was leaking. It was actually a pretty good leak. One drop every one to two seconds. Ugh!!!

Took the tank down and resealed the whole bottom. Fish were all placed in the sump and all coral went into the 29 gallon since it was done cycling. Rock and the rest of the water went into my 55 gallon drum. While adjusting the legs on the light to temporarily place it on the 29 gallon, I broke one of the legs. Yes I know. I'm luckiest guy alive. Lol.

I let the silicon cure until today. I tested it earlier and it seems to hold water with no leaks now. Since the tank was down decided to make myself a hang kit for the lights.

10 ft of #12 jack chain holds 29 lbs. $6.88

S- hooks $0.97

1/8" Quick links hold 220 lbs $2.97

2 3/16" X 3" screw hooks $2.47

Total of $13.29 everything from Wal-Mart. Could've probably been cheaper at a hardware store but I'm too lazy to drive to one. Lol

Here are some pics.

Drilled 3/16" holes into the fixture for the S-hooks.

VOILA!!!

Unread 05/17/2011, 08:31 PM   #91
mistaflicksta
Registered Member

Damn dude, when it rains, it pours! well at least the hanging kit looks good

Current Tank Info: 150H(48LX24WX30H), 302 Aquatics sump w/ATS, NWB 200 reef octopus skimmer w/DC pump, 2× MP40W, Varios 6 return pump, RKE, Avast Marine Kalk reactor, Kessil AP700
Unread 05/18/2011, 08:45 AM   #92
jtinoco
Registered Member

I set the tank back up yesterday with all the rock. The water was super cloudy because the sand was a bit dirty. I tested this morning and there's no mini cycle. Everything is at zero! Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Weird!! I thought I'd get a spike of some sort.

Ideas? I suspect it's the vodka doing it's thing.

Yesterday afternoon!

Last edited by jtinoco; 05/18/2011 at 08:51 AM.
Unread 05/18/2011, 08:58 AM   #93
mistaflicksta
Registered Member

Wait a couple of days, and keep testing. sometimes it might take a day or so and a mini cylcle might kick off.

Unread 05/20/2011, 08:13 PM   #94
Chaka
Registered Member

Bacteria Bloom?......

Chaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2011, 08:48 PM   #95
jtinoco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Bacteria Bloom?......
No bacteria bloom. I have been testing everyday since I set it up again. Nitrites went up a bit but dropped by the next day. Everything has been at zero since. I added back the coral and clam on Wednesday.

Here's a pic as of today. Just tool it right now. You can see the dead coralline on the back glass and overflow box.

Unread 05/21/2011, 09:29 AM   #96
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

Tank looks good still, hopefully no more messing with it so it can settle in and do its thing.

Unread 05/21/2011, 10:43 AM   #97
jtinoco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnavarro170 View Post
Tank looks good still, hopefully no more messing with it so it can settle in and do its thing.
Yeah hopefully. I hate seeing it start to settle and to see the coralline take off and everything start growing and then have to take it down cuz of some problem. UGH!! frustrating!!

Hopefully nothing goes wrong anymore.

Unread 05/21/2011, 11:03 AM   #98
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

i was always trying to get coralline to grow but on the rock, i think we focus too much on coralline and we just need let the tank to do its thing. are you still dosing vodka ?? or is it that you cant stop dosing once you start.

Unread 05/21/2011, 12:48 PM   #99
jtinoco
Registered Member

Yeah still dosing vodka. I can probably wean it off slowly but I like dosing. Maybe later I'll try weaning it.

Unread 05/23/2011, 10:56 AM   #100
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Looking great!! Good job on the light fixture and glad to see you got the tank back in working order so well!! Give it time and the coralline will return as you are doing it right by concentrating on your parameters.

Jay