Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/02/2018, 12:19 PM   #10776
moonphaz
Registered Member

New-ish

I have come to this site for several years when I had questions, but never formally took part. We had a reef tank, had trouble so changed to fresh water and didn't like it so went back to reef tank. We have had our reef tank up and running now for about 3 months with all water perimeters staying perfect, soft corals (anthelia, torch, mushrooms, green & brownstar polyps, branched frogspawn all doing awesome & growing beautifully. We have a clean-up crew of 2 emerald crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 astraea turbo & 2 nassarius snails, a Black/white with orange face clown, green clown goby & a bi-color blenny along with a few hitch-hiker brittle worms and mussels. All are doing well. We just got the starfish and I am concerned because I told the LFS that the tank was 3 mos old, but doing well with good levels/healthy tank and they said it would be o.k. He had gone to the top of the tank and is partially out of the water, which they said to be careful not to let air get to him after I acclimated him to our tank (drip acclimated for 1 hour) and put him in. I was careful not to touch him and didn't let him get any air, but now he is doing it himself. Should I be worried? What do I do?

moonphaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2018, 12:21 PM   #10777
moonphaz
Registered Member

Oh - BTW the starfish is a black-tipped red star.

Unread 09/02/2018, 12:25 PM   #10778
moonphaz
Registered Member

I have one mangrove I was trying in my 30 gal reef nano. It is turning reddish brown but still is green too. I started getting one white root, but it turned red too. All the leaves fell off the very top (it is above the water by about 2 inches and doesn't appear to be doing anything much. Is it dying? I know they apparently grow very slowly, but I don't know what to expect. My nitrates are zero in my tank, hoping that's because the mangrove is doing it's job. Thoughts?

Unread 09/05/2018, 08:28 PM   #10779
Angeloli
Registered Member

hello guys,I'm from Taiwan.
a new guy in reef tank.

Angeloli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2018, 08:33 AM   #10780
KCSUMPS
Registered Member

Smile New to Reefing well, after 30 years it seems all new...

Kids are moving out and have some time again. Picked up several tanks and equipment as I begin to learn about reefing after about 30 years since my last saltwater tank in 1987. Wow! Things have changed!

Currently researching how to build the stand I want for my 90 and 55 sump and where I can find Pukani rock...

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon initially...
KCSUMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 03:25 AM   #10781
Grootzilla
Registered Member

Hey everyone!
I'm Jasper (or Jazz). I have always been interested in starting my own reef but now that I have a steady(ish) job that will get me the funds nessesary to begin this awesome hobby I've begun reaserching like crazy. I don't have a tank or anything yet. I've mostly been calculating cost and reaserching equipment. I already have a good idea ok what I want in my tank and how big I'd want it (30-40gal). I am trying to decide if building my own stand is worth it so that I will be able to customize how I set up my sump right underneath the display tank while still containing some storage for water quality testing kits and other miscellaneous things I will need over just buying one. My father use to be a carpenter so I'm sure if I asked him and explained what I wanted he would do it no problem. But yeah. I am super exited. I plan to start my reef within the next 3-6 months with just soft corals and adding fish and whatnot later. Aaaaaaa.

Grootzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 01:32 AM   #10782
RapaNui
Registered Member

Hellllooooooo Reef Central.

New to salt water tanks and new to RC as well.

My brother in law has(d) a 130L saltwater tank that he got when he was living in his apartment. He bought a house about a year ago that came with a much larger built in tank together with an RO water system etc. He got married and had a kid and as such the demands have been big to maintain two tanks.

He generously offered to have his sister, my fiancee, take the tank.

So here we go on the next big aquarium adventure.
Going to be doing a lot of reading and asking of questions.

Pics to follow.

Ciao

RapaNui

RapaNui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 11:49 PM   #10783
ernestivy
Registered Member

Hey all! The wife and kids got me a fish tank for my birthday! I'm new to the hobby. 60 gallon tank. Will start fresh water.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

ernestivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2018, 03:42 PM   #10784
Dugthefish
Registered Member

Attempting to rediscover the joys and pains of saltwater with a 125g reef. Ran several tanks 15 years ago, 75g soft/LPS, 75 gal FOWLR/lionfish tank, 40g clownfish tank, etc. Life dictated that continuing this hobby had to end in 2004 or so, and now life has given me the opportunity to try again. Going for a lot more DIY this time, run a shoestring budget, and see what some time and patience comes up with

Dugthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2018, 11:50 AM   #10785
Superbikejay
Registered Member

Hi everybody

I've spent so much time ove the years reading forums here but now I've decided to take part and post my unique situation here and see what type of insight I can gain from the community.

Superbikejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2018, 12:28 AM   #10786
socalRW
Registered Member

Hey guys!

Im experienced in aquaria: been keeping a planted freshwater tank for over 7 years now.

But this will be my first foray into saltwater! Looking to do a planted marine tank with my 40 gallon super long tank (8’)

socalRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2018, 09:35 AM   #10787
BroodNash
Registered Member

Hello, everyone! Newbie here. I'm glad to have found this great online reef central community. I'm hoping to learn more from the other members here. Cheers!

BroodNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2018, 09:22 PM   #10788
rschram19
Registered Member

Back at it

Hi I first joined in 2003 and I've taken over a decade off from reef keeping. I'm starting back up again with a reef tank from scratch. I'm surprised how far the technology has come and I have a lot of reading to catch up on but I definitely have experience with the hobby and just wanted to say HI!

rschram19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2018, 04:05 PM   #10789
OpPrime
Registered Member

New to the hobby and forum

150g
Sump / skimmer / filter socks
Ecotech XR30 x2 / XR15
Neptune apex EL
Apex ATO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OpPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2018, 01:41 AM   #10790
pshootr
Registered Member

Hello everyone. Many years ago I had some fish only saltwater tanks, and about 10 years ago I did some research on reef tanks, but never got around to it. Recently I have acquired the bug again, and I found this forum. I am looking into starting up a reef tank somewhere between 40 gal to 120 gallons. I'm looking forward to checking out your setups during my quest for knowledge.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

pshootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2018, 01:44 AM   #10791
pshootr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpPrime View Post
New to the hobby and forum

150g
Sump / skimmer / filter socks
Ecotech XR30 x2 / XR15
Neptune apex EL
Apex ATO

Looks like you are off to a great start with that tank. I am still in the early planning stages for a tank. Looking forward to seeing how your tank progresses. Have fun!

Unread 10/06/2018, 04:24 AM   #10792
OpPrime
Registered Member

Thanks and good luck with your planning! Hope you get in soon!

OpPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2018, 04:52 AM   #10793
pshootr
Registered Member

Thanks, me too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpPrime View Post
Thanks and good luck with your planning! Hope you get in soon!

Unread 10/08/2018, 08:57 AM   #10794
BroodNash
Registered Member

Hello, rschram19! Glad to have you back.

BroodNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 07:25 PM   #10795
trevrushfish
Registered Member

New to the hobby. Fish help please!

Hey everyone. My name is Trevor and im new to the saltwater fish hobby. I have a 32 gallon Biocube. Only a few live rock in it at this time but I was wondering what some good starter fish are that I should look into? Thanks!

trevrushfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2018, 01:35 AM   #10796
SenkoG
Registered Member

Hey guys happy to finally try and keep saltwater fish but could use a lot of advice please

SenkoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2018, 06:03 AM   #10797
JGreiwe2
Registered Member

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum but have had a 75 gallon reef tank for over 3-4 years. The tank was inherited to me about a year ago and I could use the help/advice! Also, does anyone have a simple solution on how I am suppose to upload pictures onto here. Every time I try it, it says that it fails to send.

JGreiwe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 06:38 PM   #10798
PuckHucker
Registered Member

Talking Returning after a few years

Hey Ya'll. Back from the saltwater grave. Never posted here, but been lurking around for a while. Setting up a frag system in my basement before I get to set up a DT. Glad to be back into the hobby and looking forward to learning more!

PuckHucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 06:54 PM   #10799
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHucker View Post
Hey Ya'll. Back from the saltwater grave. Never posted here, but been lurking around for a while. Setting up a frag system in my basement before I get to set up a DT. Glad to be back into the hobby and looking forward to learning more!

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 07:28 PM   #10800
pshootr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHucker View Post
Hello and welcome. It's a great place with a wealth of knowledge, and some very helpful and friendly folks!

Enjoy

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral