Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2018, 01:23 PM   #1
lngbrdz
Registered Member

Absentee reefer getting back in.

I've been inactive for some years and I'd like to get back into it. In the planning stages and looking at doing a cube I think. I think its a happy medium between wall of rocks and a peninsula. I've looked at the SCA 50 gal. I thinks it measurements work well 24x24x20. Since I have some experience id like to go into the SPS eventually, however things have really changed since the metal halide days i remember. Looking at the AI Prime or Kissel and even possibly the T5 retro for them. Any advice or recommendations for me to research would be appreciated. Also trying to get posts up to get classifieds access again.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

lngbrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 10:37 PM   #2
Bpb
Registered Member

For what it’s worth if I had a SCA 50 gallon id slap a single 250 watt metal halide pendant over that bad boy and call it a day. But if you’re going to do sps dominant and want to play around with LEDs, I’d either get an orphek v4 compact. Or two ecotech xr15. The options you listed are completely serviceable, but they don’t have quite the horsepower I feel like you’d crave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2018, 03:52 AM   #3
homer1475
Registered Member

I would slap an ATI 6 bulb T5 setup or a single MH pendant and call it done. While LED's are proven to work, my problem and I think where alot of people fail with LED's is thwy are so adjustable that people can't seem to just set them and leave them be so corals can adjust to them. People tend to play with them and corals never get adjusted to them so they tend to wither away or get bleached.

Since I switched to an ATI 6 bulb setup with 2 supplemental reefbrite strips, my tank has never been better.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote