Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2014, 04:57 AM   #1
Daniel.DWUW
Registered Member

Question Filter media or sump.

So I'm starting my new tank setup soon, and I wanted to know what filter media I should use in an external filter (not yet bought)? I would of liked a sump but I can't find any complete setups online, so if you know anywhere online that sells them, leave a link? Thanks

Daniel.DWUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2014, 05:36 AM   #2
Fishy 1
The Reefer From Downunder

You can make a sump for next too nothing. I made mine from an old scratched tank I had, I made some baffles from acrilic and was done in a day. If you tank isn't drilled and you don't want to, do a search for self priming siphons. I have one on my tank and it is brilliant I you have anymore questions ask away

"The day that I stop learning will be the day that I die"

Current Tank Info: Newly Born Regency 220 "The Impulse Reef"
Fishy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2014, 11:38 AM   #3
ReeferNC
Registered Member

Stay away from canister filters! (if that's what you mean by external filter). Filter pads become phosphate factories and you will find yourself cleaning your filter at least twice a week. As far as complete sumps setups, you can buy a sump completely built or as Fishy 1 suggested, build one for cheap. When it comes to "complete setups" that you're looking for online, are you looking for a sump that comes with all the peripherals (protein skimmer, media reactor, return pump, etc...)? If you are, that doesn't exist unless a retailer somewhere has bundled these individual items. But quite honestly, that's the joy of having a sump; being able to customize your setup to exactly serve your needs and preferences. Check out other peoples setups and let me know when you find two that are identical.

ReeferNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Daniel.DWUW
Registered Member

The external filter I was thinking off getting is £85, so If I can make a sump for around that price then I may as well go for it... I don't want to drill my tank, so I'll need other options... I just don't know where to start, what do I need? and how does a sump work?

Unread 02/28/2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Daniel.DWUW
Registered Member

Just been researching hang on the back overflows, and read they fail a lot :/ so maybe drilling is the best option?

Unread 02/28/2014, 02:19 PM   #6
swcc
Moved On

get a good overflow.... eshopps or life reef. they work

swcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Daniel.DWUW
Registered Member

I think I'm going to go with the drilling option... I've just measured the inside of my cabinet and I can fit a 24 inch by 11 inch tank in there. I've drawn a little plan, let me know if this will do, or if there's any flaws or if I've missed something thanks. [/IMG]

Unread 02/28/2014, 06:46 PM   #8
ReeferNC
Registered Member

If you're gonna do it, do it right because you'll have regrets down the road if you cut corners. Then at that point, upgrading means undoing what you did so kiss the initial investment good-bye, then spending more time and money to fix it. I hate HOB overflows, drill the tank and do a herbie. Or install an internal overflow and use a durso (this was the option I went with). It's kind of counter-intuitive for some people. You get this mind-set that simplifying the setup will save yourself headache. In all reality though, setting up a balanced system from the get-go and utilizing your own ability to pick and choose equipment to suit your needs will allow for far less maintenance down the road.

ReeferNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2014, 11:21 PM   #9
Fishy 1

Go with the drilled option for sure, the only reason I went DIY overflow is I couldn't drill it as the tank stand was in the way:-( but my overflow is working great guns:-) for that amount of money you should be able to find an old tank, acrilic and silicone easy. And as the others have said you can customize your sump to fit the equipment you want

Unread 03/01/2014, 04:32 AM   #10
Daniel.DWUW
Registered Member

What size piping is the best? I don't really understand plumbing :') also, where's the best place to get supplies?

Unread 03/01/2014, 05:24 AM   #11
Fishy 1

Depends on the pump you use. When running a sump you need to have the volume of the main tank going through the sump at a minimum of 4 times an hour, with the optimal being about 6 times an hour, the reason for that amount of flow is to keep the main tank at a desired temp, any less and the Mt will lose heat and temp will be unstable. So for your tank get a 200-250 liter pump, adding a little bit for for the loss of flow due to gravity. As for the outflow pipe if you are going the drilled route get some 20-25mm pvc and a ball valve for the end going into the sump to make the outflow quieter.

Unread 03/01/2014, 05:40 AM   #12
Fishy 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel.DWUW View Post
I think I'm going to go with the drilling option... I've just measured the inside of my cabinet and I can fit a 24 inch by 11 inch tank in there. I've drawn a little plan, let me know if this will do, or if there's any flaws or if I've missed something thanks. [/IMG]
Your plan looks good. But I would move the ball valve on the return pump to underneath the cabinet. and get rid of one of the valves on the outflow and have the remaining one to underneath the cabinet also. Looking good though make sure you post lots of pics during the build :thumbup:

Unread 03/01/2014, 04:03 PM   #13
Daniel.DWUW
Registered Member

Ok then, thankyou for all the help!!!! much appreciated,!! I can't wait for payday now to start this

Tags
external filter, filter media, new tank, sump