Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/09/2019, 06:31 AM   #1
onetwo12
Registered Member

Berghia nudibranch with leopard wrasse

Hi. I am thinking of introducing some Branchia nudibranch to help control aphasia. Does anyone have experience with these when there is a leopard wrasse in the tank? Will they be eaten? Thanks

onetwo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2019, 08:21 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes its certainly possible that it will go after the nudi depending on size,etc.....

You might be better off going with Peppermint shrimp to have a predator for aiptasia or maybe a matted filefish

Unread 10/09/2019, 09:01 AM   #3
five.five-six
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo12 View Post
Hi. I am thinking of introducing some Branchia nudibranch to help control aphasia. Does anyone have experience with these when there is a leopard wrasse in the tank? Will they be eaten? Thanks

IMO, my wife would be much more appreciative of me spending that kind of money on a meal for her than my wrasse.

YMMV

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2019, 01:59 AM   #4
onetwo12
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing your opinions. It sounds like I probably should reconsider the Berghia project. I have been thinking of introducing peppermint shrimps or a matted filefish. I'm a bit worried about the LPS and zoas by doing so. There is always tradeoffs in this hobby. Maybe I'll just continue killing them with kalkwasser.

Unread 10/10/2019, 12:46 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo12 View Post
Thanks for sharing your opinions. It sounds like I probably should reconsider the Berghia project. I have been thinking of introducing peppermint shrimps or a matted filefish. I'm a bit worried about the LPS and zoas by doing so. There is always tradeoffs in this hobby. Maybe I'll just continue killing them with kalkwasser.
Personally I have tried both Peps and Filefish and my zoas where never attacked.. I have heard reports of the opposite though..
Like anything else try and adapt/adjust as needed..

Unread 10/11/2019, 12:04 PM   #6
onetwo12
Registered Member

That's good to hear that it can be possible to keep matted filefish with zoas. I would really like to have one. Not only for aphasia control, but also because it is a really interesting fish. The way they use their fins while swimming is cool. Look kind off similar to triggers.

Maybe I'll try and see how it goes. If I'm lucky I get one that only eat aptasia.

Unread 10/11/2019, 12:53 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

+1 on the file fish. Haven't seen Aptasia isince I got mine. Just notice the other day that he is no longer with us. I had t six or seven years.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2019, 02:23 PM   #8
onetwo12
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that you lost the fish. It is sad when that happens. Especially when you have had it so long.

It sounds like a good option for aptasia control. What is your experience regarding the filefish eating corals such as zoas and los?

Unread 10/11/2019, 02:36 PM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

Very quiet fish that keeps to itself and in the rocks a lot. I never saw him eat anything but aptasia and the food I give the fish. Although I do not, and will not, have Zoas I did have them at one time and the Matted File Fish never bothered them that I saw.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote