Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2018, 11:19 PM   #1
miguelp19
Registered Member

Please Help! What the heck is going on with my Euphyllia!

Hi everyone!! As you might be able to tell from the title, I am increasingly frustrated with my euphyllia! For the last 2-3 weeks I've been slowly losing some of them and it kills me because I have some nice collector pieces! This isn't brown jelly disease as I would recognize it right away. The corals are doing great and then simply the flesh just starts to come apart until they die!
I've lost 2 gold torch colonies, my holy grail torch, a toxic green with pink tip torch, etc, etc, etc, etc. Literally has been around 10 pieces in the last couple of weeks and just lost 2 more today! Most losses have been torches but I've also lost a few frogspawn, octospawn, and hammers and just recently started to lose a 40+ head of purple/green frogspawn.

What drives me even more crazy is that everything else is fine!! I have SPS, Anemones, Leathers, mushrooms, zoas, chalice, acans, flower pots, bubble corals, elegance, and the list goes on and on! But the only thing not doing well is my euphyllia and I have TONS of it!! I cant just wait around any longer to see if it stops as I get devastated with each loss!

On to system specs!
375gal display with a 200 gal sump- Has been up for about a year
Ca- 460
dKH- 9
Mg- 1425
Nitrate- 20ppm
PO4- .25ppm
Sg- 1.025
Temp - 77-78

I have a very simple system, it is bare bottom, I run a the Largest NYOS skimmer, GEO 818 Calcium reactor, grow chaeto on opposite light schedule, and dose AcroPower every other day and Iron weekly. My flow is great also, I have 2 of the large Gyres and an MP40 and an MP60 that I turn on every now and then to make sure no detritus settles.

I use Fritz RPM and my ATO RO water comes in a 1ppm. I just did an 100 gal water change last week and have done one almost weekly since this crap started happening. I just cant explain what it is!! I've been reefing for almost 10 years now and have never encountered this before... here are some pictures.. but please, any suggestions/questions are welcome!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg file1.jpg (37.6 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg file.jpg (53.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg file2.jpg (81.6 KB, 90 views)
miguelp19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2018, 03:42 PM   #2
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

What kind of light are you using? In the past, when mine have done this, it was time to change the bulbs.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2018, 08:13 PM   #3
krs1102
Registered Member

Have you tried bringing your nitrates down? 20 seems high and bothers my LPS- the euphyllia are the first that seem to be bugged.

krs1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2018, 12:04 AM   #4
miguelp19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayolaViolence View Post
What kind of light are you using? In the past, when mine have done this, it was time to change the bulbs.
Im using all Radions so i doubt it the lights. I think my SPS would show something wrong with lighting right away....

Unread 09/15/2018, 12:06 AM   #5
miguelp19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs1102 View Post
Have you tried bringing your nitrates down? 20 seems high and bothers my LPS- the euphyllia are the first that seem to be bugged.
Im in the process of getting another 100gal water change done to bring those down a bit more. Ive had them closer to 40ppm before and nothing like this ever happened though...

Unread 10/06/2018, 03:34 PM   #6
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

Euphyllia are pretty hardy and easy to grow.

Are they stinging each other? Euphyllia put out pretty long sweepers. I have been told that hammers and frogs pawns typically do ok with each other, but fight with torches. I think my frogspawn was stinging my hammer and moved the hammer.

Too much flow can annoy euphyllia. See if the ones getting more flow are less happy.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 06:52 PM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I see torch corals, these "E's" pack a powerful sting and will easy kill most corals
Keep torches away from others

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2018, 02:25 PM   #8
(B)reef encounter
Registered Member

Any updates?

(B)reef encounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 12:40 AM   #9
dkevink
Registered Member

Have you looked for euphyllia rating flatworms. I got them from a friend and I am still fighting them. Good thread with pictures below.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2316340

dkevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 12:41 AM   #10
dkevink
Registered Member

Euphyllia eating flatworms. Need spellcheck in the forum. Lol

dkevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 11:14 AM   #11
steallife904
Registered Member

had it happen to me before on a very large 50+ head frogspawn. Nothing else affected. Been in tank for year with no change in light or flow. My best guess was I got tank to clean over doing water changes and stopped spot feeding. Once it started going though I couldn't stop it sadly.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote