Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2018, 03:39 PM   #1
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Chemical warfare and BTAs

I've never heard of this before until I recently joined a facebook group, they're saying different types of E. quadricolors are not compatible and use allelopathy to kill others nearby. To me this sounds like one is getting sick and infects the others, and some succumb because they're not treating them with cipro. Is allelopathy between BTAs a thing? I know first hand mixing anemones is possible, so this allelopathy thing sounds like misinformation being spread, but what do I know...

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2018, 06:32 PM   #2
jmareef1022
Registered Member

I also read something like this, but they were saying the wild bta have the bigger chance of carrying something like this.

jmareef1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2018, 07:08 PM   #3
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmareef1022 View Post
I also read something like this, but they were saying the wild bta have the bigger chance of carrying something like this.
Yes, which a wild is more likely to come in infected. Allelopathy or infection, that is the question... I'm learning towards infection.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 10:30 AM   #4
ocellaris123
Registered Member

I have had captive clones slowly waste away and not thrive when put in with established bta's. Right now I have two differently sourced rainbows and a GBTA all doing well and growing together so who knows.

Last edited by ocellaris123; 07/21/2018 at 10:42 AM.
ocellaris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2018, 07:22 AM   #5
OrionN
Moved on

I have seen too many different BTA that live together touching to think that there are allopathy interaction between them. Also I have seen plenty clones of BTA, and Magnifica where one doing well and another not in the same tank.
IMO, it is highly unlikely that there are such thing as allopathy. There is also not warfare without touching IMO.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote