Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2019, 11:49 AM   #1
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Skimmer in tank

Hi, I'm having a bit of a mare with my hang on skimmer and the other options seem expensive for what they are. I was wondering is it possible to put a normal skimmer in the actual tank? I have no sump and no way of putting one in. Is this something that other people have done, is it recommended to do and how would it work? I'm assuming the collection cup would have to go above the water but what about the outlet? Thanks all for the advice in advance.

New aquarium

300l (80g) juwel rio
40kg sand
40kg live rock
Tmc v2 skim 500 compact hob skimmer
1000lph filter pump
Filter floss
Carbon
2 x 2800 lph circulation pumps (fluval sea 3, hydor koralia 3200)

1 black sailfin blenny
1 purple firefish
1 one spot Foxface
2 percula clowns (pair)
1 Squaretail Bristletooth Tang (Indian kole)
1 strawberry conch
5 nassarius snails

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

gareth.hubbarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2019, 01:50 PM   #2
reefling
Registered Member

Water need to be a specific depth and level for a skimmer compartment. There is a way to do a sump. I have drilled tanks half full before. You can make a sump for 50$.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

reefling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2019, 06:40 PM   #3
bshow24
Registered Member

Is it possible? Of course. Is it recommended? Not in the slightest.

If you were to do it, you'd need to have some sort of stand that sits the skimmer at it's required level (typically skimmers will sit anywhere between 6-10 inches under water). This isn't going to look very good at all, and will also take up a decent chunk of space in your DT. You'd need to make sure you cover the intake so fish can't get sucked up, and get used to having micro bubbles all over the place in your aquarium.

Your best option is a HOB. I'd look into the Reef Octopus ones as I've heard a lot of good things about them as far as HOB goes. Otherwise, look into figuring out how you could use a sump or possibly and internal skimmer.

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2019, 07:20 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If you want a skimmer (they are optional) then get another hob...reef octopus or other decent brand....but dont try to get an in sump skimmer working in a sysem without a sump...

Unread 05/11/2019, 06:16 AM   #5
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Hey there. Take a look at the Mame design skimmer. Use to be a common type but people don't use them anymore as much because most people use aggressive feedingz for corals and thus need aggressive skimming to go with it. It depends on what your need is, bubble skimmers keep a constant aeration and also ensure you can place the cup where you want. You can buy the Mame or DIY more cheaply, just remember to use tank safe materials for everything.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mame-Design...-/192806571495

The skimmer from Mame looks great though. The tube is easily stored inside the skimcup, so if it is for hospital tanks or similar, it can be easily removed, cleaned and placed out of sight.
It skims in the "wet" end of skimming so remember to not overlook the waterlevel and empty the cup.

Last edited by Small Heavens; 05/11/2019 at 06:40 AM.
Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2019, 06:25 AM   #6
Navig8tr
Registered Member

The Tunze Comline line of skimmers are designed to go in the display tank.

Navig8tr is offline   Reply With Quote