Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2012, 05:34 AM   #76
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

I have mixed a lot of species in the same tank but I wouldn't recommend doing it with a pair that you intend to breed. My pink skunks ripped my latezonatus pair a new one when they started settling in to start spawning. When a pair is ready to spawn they will get really aggressive.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
WDLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2012, 07:29 AM   #77
velvetelvis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownfishfan View Post
If they are similar is it possible that I could keep a occy pair and an orange skunk pair in the same tank and possibly have the orange skunk male fertilize some eggs from the occy's... But then again that's a small if.
I've never bred clowns, but I'm guessing that the ocellaris pair wouldn't allow the male skunk anywhere near them to fertilize the female's eggs as they're spawning. From what I've read, the female lays eggs and the male swims right over them and fertilizes them...any other male who tried to interfere would undoubtedly be attacked, perhaps by both of them. He'd be an invader in their territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDLV View Post
I have mixed a lot of species in the same tank but I wouldn't recommend doing it with a pair that you intend to breed. My pink skunks ripped my latezonatus pair a new one when they started settling in to start spawning. When a pair is ready to spawn they will get really aggressive.
Todd has often described how aggro his pink skunks became once they began spawning, to illustrate how clownfish behave after sexual maturity. I'd never expect such timid fish to become so ferocious!

Unread 03/24/2012, 07:51 AM   #78
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetelvis View Post
I've never bred clowns, but I'm guessing that the ocellaris pair wouldn't allow the male skunk anywhere near them to fertilize the female's eggs as they're spawning. From what I've read, the female lays eggs and the male swims right over them and fertilizes them...any other male who tried to interfere would undoubtedly be attacked, perhaps by both of them. He'd be an invader in their territory.
I have heard an exception to this with a Marroon pair and a Sandy pair spawning in the same tank... but lets keep in mind that this is an extreme exception to the rule.

Quote:
Todd has often described how aggro his pink skunks became once they began spawning, to illustrate how clownfish behave after sexual maturity. I'd never expect such timid fish to become so ferocious!
Todd Gardner with the 2000 gallon anemone tank or ToddRex with much smaller tanks? I know my Latz were twice the size of the skunks. I was very surprised. I thought it was the tangs at first, then I hid about 20' away and observed what was really going on. The pink female was coming over to the latz's anemone and giving them a thrashing. That pink pair was sold shortly thereafter.

The pinks were in the RBTAs on the far right. The Latz were in the crispa toward the center. The latz were obviously much larger. Yet you can see her in the first pic here returning from her guilty act.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife

Last edited by WDLV; 03/24/2012 at 08:11 AM.
Unread 03/24/2012, 08:00 AM   #79
velvetelvis
Registered Member

Spawning in the same tank, I can believe...but fertilizing each other's eggs? Interesting.

I meant Toddrtrex. Should have been more specific.

Unread 03/24/2012, 02:11 PM   #80
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

Yea it's a rare occurrence but has happened.
Pretty latz!

Clownfishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2012, 05:43 PM   #81
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

PHASE 1 COMPLETE!! I now own both clowns.
The occy is 3 inches long and very bright orange.they are both togethr in the qt the skunk went over to the new clown and like pushed his nose up against her ,no biting or anything but kinda strange,does it sound like aggression?

Unread 03/27/2012, 05:47 PM   #82
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Pictures or it did t happen.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 03/27/2012, 05:50 PM   #83
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

Can I use forum runner to post it

Unread 03/27/2012, 05:53 PM   #84
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

I don't know what that is. I use Photobucket.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 03/27/2012, 05:53 PM   #85
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

Dang I will look around to find out then.

Unread 03/27/2012, 06:13 PM   #86
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

Well the only way I could post a pic is by my smartphone and I must have the tapatalk app to do that but currently rc and tapatalk are having some issues that are trying to be worked out. When I can use the app I will get you the pics but until then sorry.

They occy is now really attacking the little skunk and the skunk is just staying in the corner only occasionally attacking back ,does this sound like pairing or is it too early?

Unread 03/28/2012, 08:55 AM   #87
Whip316
Registered Member

Quote:
Well the only way I could post a pic is by my smartphone and I must have the tapatalk app to do that but currently rc and tapatalk are having some issues that are trying to be worked out. When I can use the app I will get you the pics but until then sorry.

They occy is now really attacking the little skunk and the skunk is just staying in the corner only occasionally attacking back ,does this sound like pairing or is it too early?
too early still. when they are paired you will know. they will stop fighting and hang together all the time.

Whip316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 08:59 AM   #88
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip316 View Post
too early still. when they are paired you will know. they will stop fighting and hang together all the time.
Yup. Not unlike humans, when they sleep together, it's a good indication of pairing.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 03/28/2012, 11:08 AM   #89
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

Well last night I put the skunk in a 2l bottle with the top cut of and hole cut in it. So far the occy seems to be the one with the most torn fins but my guess is it's because the occy has more finnage and its not clear the skunks. If I had 2 females would it be a constant and vicous battle or kinda on and off.
I've paired juv percs before and kinda know what it looks like but I have never tried pairing adults...

Unread 03/28/2012, 11:49 AM   #90
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

It's not clear to me if you are starting this pair using an established male and an established female, their origin of collection or if you are just throwing random fish together and hoping for the best. Please ellaborate.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 03/28/2012, 11:58 AM   #91
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

The skunk should be a juvie but the lfs had it about 2-3 months and it was never paired with anything,it's probably ORA or another cb from somewhere else. The female is a proven mated occy,it's about 8-9 years old,originated from petco so most likely cb. Isn't there a way to look at a clownfishes snout to tell if it's wc? I will try to get pics this evening.

Unread 03/28/2012, 12:49 PM   #92
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Quote:
Isn't there a way to look at a clownfishes snout to tell if it's wc?
Only low quality ones have the underbite. A really good CB clown will not have this defect.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 03/28/2012, 03:01 PM   #93
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332968455.815035.jpg

Current Tank Info: 125gal mixed reef
Unread 03/28/2012, 03:15 PM   #94
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332969202.860876.jpg

Current Tank Info: 125gal mixed reef
Unread 03/28/2012, 03:17 PM   #95
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

They are in a 14 gal biocube as the qt. They will go to my 125 in about 2 weeks

Unread 03/28/2012, 03:20 PM   #96
phender
Registered Member

FWIW, I would not have tried to pair up a female that has already had another mate. The instinct in established females to chase away other fish is very strong, even stronger than her desire to find a mate. I have found it very difficult to re-pair female clowns when their mate dies. It is way easier to add a juvie to an established male and wait a few months for the male to change over. If the ocellaris pair was yours and you still have the male, I would try him instead of the female.
The other best option would be to get two juvie fish to start with. Yes, they still might break up when the female gets to breeding size, but at least the male will know how to appease her a little at that point.

Current Tank Info: 50 gal reef, used to have - 60 gal reef, 40 gal reef, 2-20 gal clownfish tanks which were also reefs.
phender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 03:39 PM   #97
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

No I didn't own the original pair.
The female hasnt had her make I 6+ years think that will make a difference? So far they are acting just like my perc pair when I first got them,the one that was slightly bigger would chase the other to the corner then he would get brave and attack back they would lock jaws and after a couple weeks they were a pair.
How long should I expect for the skunk to change to male assuming it's a juv? I know it varies but .....

Unread 03/28/2012, 03:54 PM   #98
Arati
Registered Member

if the sandy was left alone unpaired for months it is a good chance it is female. size has nothing to do with it. also if you dont know its captive bred it could be a wc fish that was a male for years before capture and at the fish store becoming female.

so its entirely possible you have a 4 year old tiny adult female skunk.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Tank Info: 150 ish gallons of Reef

Last edited by Arati; 03/28/2012 at 04:07 PM.
Arati is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2012, 08:23 PM   #99
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

Should have asked the guy....

The good news is the guy told me (i told him i was getting a proven female,but i didnt say it was an occy..)if it had turned female I could trade it. Right now they seem to be getting along the skunk keeps jumpingbout of his bottle to be with the occy but they are still going at it occasionally.

Unread 03/29/2012, 07:47 AM   #100
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Quote:
I cannot say that it is WC but it does not have the CB underbite defect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phender View Post
FWIW, I would not have tried to pair up a female that has already had another mate. The instinct in established females to chase away other fish is very strong, even stronger than her desire to find a mate. I have found it very difficult to re-pair female clowns when their mate dies. It is way easier to add a juvie to an established male and wait a few months for the male to change over. If the ocellaris pair was yours and you still have the male, I would try him instead of the female.
The other best option would be to get two juvie fish to start with. Yes, they still might break up when the female gets to breeding size, but at least the male will know how to appease her a little at that point.
Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arati View Post
if the sandy was left alone unpaired for months it is a good chance it is female. size has nothing to do with it. also if you dont know its captive bred it could be a wc fish that was a male for years before capture and at the fish store becoming female.

so its entirely possible you have a 4 year old tiny adult female skunk.
Agreed.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife

Tags
breeding, clownfish, hybrid, sandarcinos, theillei