Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2018, 05:03 PM   #1
joeyprice
Registered Member

What is this stuff? Algae?

Its growing off three plugs with zoa's on them. I thought it was dinos at first, and I know it looks like air bubbles on the hairs, but that is detritus that has stuck to it. there is another plug in there that is hard to get a photo of where it looks more like fuzz. Its also growing on the rock around the plugs, but doesn't seem to spread very quickly. Any ideas?

Tank: LED Biocube 16
Fish: Royal Gramma, 6 Line
Inverts: Blood Red Fire Shrimp
Coral: Small 2 head frogspawn
Small 2 head torch
Small single head hammer
3 ricordia
the zoa plugs in question.

The photo period has been about 8 hours total, with just blues for 30 before and after the whites come on. I have switched to running just blues for the past few days to see if it would help with hair, but so far it doesn't seem to have helped.

All the coral is doing fine with the exception of the Zoa which seems to be getting crowded out by whatever this crap is.

My Nitrate is running 10-15 and my phosphate is one color step above zero, but I can't remember what the exact number is. I just added some GFO and Chemipure blue. Other than that the filtration is rock and matrix.

Thanks

joeyprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2018, 05:09 PM   #2
joeyprice
Registered Member

I guess the file was too big, sorry. Here is the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyprice View Post
Its growing off three plugs with zoa's on them. I thought it was dinos at first, and I know it looks like air bubbles on the hairs, but that is detritus that has stuck to it. there is another plug in there that is hard to get a photo of where it looks more like fuzz. Its also growing on the rock around the plugs, but doesn't seem to spread very quickly. Any ideas?

Tank: LED Biocube 16
Fish: Royal Gramma, 6 Line
Inverts: Blood Red Fire Shrimp
Coral: Small 2 head frogspawn
Small 2 head torch
Small single head hammer
3 ricordia
the zoa plugs in question.

The photo period has been about 8 hours total, with just blues for 30 before and after the whites come on. I have switched to running just blues for the past few days to see if it would help with hair, but so far it doesn't seem to have helped.

All the coral is doing fine with the exception of the Zoa which seems to be getting crowded out by whatever this crap is.

My Nitrate is running 10-15 and my phosphate is one color step above zero, but I can't remember what the exact number is. I just added some GFO and Chemipure blue. Other than that the filtration is rock and matrix.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg zoa.jpg (94.2 KB, 44 views)
Unread 04/21/2018, 06:54 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

crappy picture.. try again..
And please turn your blue channel off or way down too.. It may help focus even..

Unread 04/21/2018, 12:37 PM   #4
joeyprice
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
crappy picture.. try again..
And please turn your blue channel off or way down too.. It may help focus even..
Best my phone will do. I'm charging the battery on the DSLR

Attached Images
File Type: jpg zoa2.jpg (60.7 KB, 31 views)
Unread 04/21/2018, 07:13 PM   #5
devimik
Registered Member

Hard to tell from that pic, but almost looks like Bryopsis. If you can take the frag out and remove the strands of algae, that's what I'd do. My first Bryopsis outbreak started like that - from a zoa frag with two tiny strands of Bryopsis - took over the whole tank and was a major pain.

Coral Beauty, Green Filefish, One Spot Foxface, Springeri Dottyback, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby, Flame Hawkfish, Spotted Mandarin

Current Tank Info: 90g Softie Reef, 150# live rock, 30g sump w/refugium, Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO, Octopus NWB 150 Skimmer, Mag 950 return, Maxspect 120w Razor 10K LED light X2, BRS Phosphate Reactor; Apex Lite
devimik is offline   Reply With Quote