Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2018, 07:17 AM   #151
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Or maybe an arrow crab? They’ve got long thin claws that might be able to get into the tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 12:27 PM   #152
Isayso
Registered Member

Arrow crab didn't work for me either, right now I'm on the hunt for a Coral banded shrimp,
This the only thing that I haven't used, I don't mind give it a go

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Isayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 05:47 PM   #153
dubmaneh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isayso View Post
Arrow crab didn't work for me either, right now I'm on the hunt for a Coral banded shrimp,
This the only thing that I haven't used, I don't mind give it a go

I’ve had a coral banded shrimp in my tank for couple of years now. Vermetids are out of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dubmaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 08:14 PM   #154
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmaneh View Post
I’ve had a coral banded shrimp in my tank for couple of years now. Vermetids are out of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So that means that didn't work??? Darrrnnnn

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Unread 10/22/2018, 06:18 AM   #155
becon776
Registered Member

Quote:
doesn't mean that is the end of life...

my registration with reef central was back in 2003 and since 1999on the local forum
the tank is old too but the problems with the snail is last couple of years..

Im on the hunt for a coral banded shrimp LOL
that is the only thing I havent tried yet
- not out... I'm over it... Getting super excited for a "new" marco dry rock, getting new lights... maybe new sump.

so much trial and error over the last two decades. big ideas have come and gone. I've held on to so many old school philosphy's as a point of pride (mh's for example). Just a lot of knowledge over the years.

I am excited to start fresh and implement all that I know and have learned. and also to learn new stuff and get up with the millenials. for example let's automate as much as humanly possible.

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2018, 06:28 AM   #156
Isayso
Registered Member

Yeah sometimes
I'm thinking to hit the reset button
Too. And start fresh
Good luck to you my friend

Unread 10/22/2018, 06:56 AM   #157
becon776
Registered Member

maybe start a thread covering the reset

Unread 10/22/2018, 07:15 AM   #158
Isayso
Registered Member

Sounds good ,
But from another hand I want these pests out of my tank

Unread 10/22/2018, 12:10 PM   #159
becon776
Registered Member

oh yeah.. pest will go out. rock will go out in rubbermaid till i get around to acid wash. entire tank will be filled with fw with a gallon of bleach dumped in it for 3 days. EVERYTHING WILL BE BLEACHED AND OR VINEGARED of boilled. i mean everything. NOTHING WILL EVER ENTER MY TANK WITHOUT BEING SUBJECTED TO 3X'S QUALITY INSURANCE. any little sign of issue will equal a nuclear response from this point forward.

Unread 10/22/2018, 12:14 PM   #160
Isayso
Registered Member

Oh man I'm jealous, but right now I don't have much time for the tank , my wife has been battling cancer , she is clean so far and I want spend time with her and the kids

Unread 10/22/2018, 05:52 PM   #161
becon776
Registered Member

that is a tough trail mu friend. heart goes out to you.
i always say that when you hear me *****ing and stressing about my tank then that means my life is pretty good... bc it means all else is ok.
Do what you can and remember the tank is about as close as detail oriented stubborn guys (and gals) can get to meditation. keep it in mind when staring at these little pita's

Unread 10/22/2018, 07:29 PM   #162
Isayso
Registered Member

Thank you very much
Yeah still I don't want abandon the tankers I give little time right now

Unread 10/24/2018, 01:13 PM   #163
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Over the last couple of months I added a coral banded shrimp and 3 emerald crabs. I can't say that I've ever seen them actually ripping apart a vermetid snail but they are always picking at the rock. it seems like the vermetid population almost all gone now.

Unread 10/24/2018, 02:12 PM   #164
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
Over the last couple of months I added a coral banded shrimp and 3 emerald crabs. I can't say that I've ever seen them actually ripping apart a vermetid snail but they are always picking at the rock. it seems like the vermetid population almost all gone now.
Whaat??
You mean gone ?? Bye bye?
If yes that is amazing

Unread 10/24/2018, 05:39 PM   #165
jmicky41
Registered Member

Interesting read.

My tank and LR is 15+ years old. And after a couple years of neglect, the algae (turf?) and v-snails are outta control. Today, I had some time and decided to pull the rocks for some manual control - complete failure, each rock had hundreds, if not thousands, of v-snails. The task seemed hopeless and I gave up. Nearly every square inch of rock had a dozen of these things.

I don't have a reef, merely a FOWLR tank. So, it seems a CP treatment is the way to go? Besides pods, limpets and assorted worms; there are no invertebrates in the tank. I was considering nuking everything with bleach. But, I hate to loose all the diversity in the tank. This is old Tonga branch and Tonga shelf - stuff you can't get anymore. If CP will get the algae and the V-snails, why not? I have a wet-dry, so ammonia might not be a big issue. The house is going up for sale in the coming months, so it is either sparkling clean tank or no tank at all. My fish are 10-18 years old, so I hate to tear down and re-home them.

Another thing I thought of: what are all these snails eating? How much particulate matter can 3 fish generate? Like I said, I have thousands of these things. I wonder if these things can't feed on dissolved organic matter. I very seldom see any snot nets.

Current Tank Info: 125 fowlr: 280watts VHO, 75LBS of mixed rock, Deltec AP600 skimmer, wet dry, GRi 518 return pump, 15 watt Aqua UV,(2) tunze 6000 on a 7095, goldflake angel(RIP), flame angel(8 years old), mitratus butterfly, yellow tang, majestic rabbitfsih
jmicky41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2018, 06:18 PM   #166
Rtdrumz
Registered Member

Pulling out Rock

I am really frustrated with the vermetid snail invasion. If I get these things under control I'll never put in another plug or rock. I pulled half of my rock out and replaced it with dry rock. (I was afraid of what would happen if I just pulled out all of the rock.) I plan to take out the other half (covered in vermetid snails) and replace that with more dry rock. (maybe add some rock to the sump for more bacteria) I know that there will be vermetids in the tank, but I'll be able to have a fighting chance. I'm changing the food to pellets and dosing potassium permanganate and calcium carbonate. My hope is to cut the food supply enough to eradicate .... If it does not work ---- I'll move everything to a temporary tank, run tap water and acid for a week, and start from scratch.

Rtdrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2018, 06:06 AM   #167
Isayso
Registered Member

Hi guys , yes its a pain in the neck the local fish store do not have Coral banded shrimp
One of them put it on the order list, if this will take too long I want to use potassium permanganate... I have to find a supplier for that

Unread 10/25/2018, 06:53 AM   #168
McPuff
Registered Member

It doesn't really matter what you feed FYI. The fish poop and that will break apart in the water and feed the vermetids. I'm sure it will help, however, to feed foods that are NOT broadcast.

I recently have fed medicated foods (metro, kanaplex) and noticed that the webs were not nearly as numerous. Not sure if the medication irritates them or not. Anecdotal.

Planning to get a couple coral banded shrimp. Will report back. Already have an emerald crab but I rarely see it. May have to get another one. The tank is a 300 so a single emerald won't do too much. But they are quite aggressive to one another when food is limiting.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2018, 07:32 AM   #169
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
It doesn't really matter what you feed FYI. The fish poop and that will break apart in the water and feed the vermetids. I'm sure it will help, however, to feed foods that are NOT broadcast.

I recently have fed medicated foods (metro, kanaplex) and noticed that the webs were not nearly as numerous. Not sure if the medication irritates them or not. Anecdotal.

Planning to get a couple coral banded shrimp. Will report back. Already have an emerald crab but I rarely see it. May have to get another one. The tank is a 300 so a single emerald won't do too much. But they are quite aggressive to one another when food is limiting.
Good luck my friend, please keep us posted

Unread 10/25/2018, 07:57 AM   #170
Rtdrumz
Registered Member

I have Coral Banded shrimp that allowed the vermetid explosion

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Unread 10/25/2018, 08:26 AM   #171
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtdrumz View Post
I have Coral Banded shrimp that allowed the vermetid explosion

You mean that it didn't do any good?

Unread 10/25/2018, 08:37 AM   #172
Rtdrumz
Registered Member

Correct. I had the shrimp before the vermetids.

Unread 10/25/2018, 01:59 PM   #173
Isayso
Registered Member

Daarnn... have you tried to starve the shrimp??

Unread 10/25/2018, 02:51 PM   #174
Rtdrumz
Registered Member

feed the fish not the tank

Quote:
Daarnn... have you tried to starve the shrimp??
I'm not someone that overfeeds. I usually take my time hand feeding each of the fish. When they stop coming to me for food, I stop feeding. (in other words I feed the fish, not the tank)

Unread 10/25/2018, 03:48 PM   #175
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Whaat??
You mean gone ?? Bye bye?
If yes that is amazing
Yes, it really is to say the least. Another thing that may have helped is I increased the flow quite a bit a few months ago. The webs those vermetid snails put out don't hold up to the stronger flow now. I think they got hungry and somewhat were starved.

Also, last night I watched an emerald crab as it was picking at the rock. There were a couple of vermetid snail tubes within its path and sure enough, the crab eventually grabbed a snail tube and broke it of the rock. I can't say it was hunting for vermetids in particular but it is an opportunist and took out the snail tube.