Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2019, 08:00 PM   #1
smilinteddy
Registered Member

Pair of used AI Hydra 26 HD good deal?

I have contacted someone locally who is looking to sell two AI Hydra 26 HD's that were used on lower settings (softies, some LPS) for about a year and a half. He is willing to go for $450 for the pair as well as throwing in one flex mount. Is this a decent deal?

I know buying used anything is kind of risky, but does the risk outweigh the potential cost savings of buying new?

The last time I had a reef tank (12 years ago) LED's weren't even really in the mainstream yet, so I'm a bit out of my element in judging. I think from a price standpoint it's a decent deal, I'm just worried about the lights crapping out on me in the near future or something. I've been trying to do research on reliability and lifespan and such, but in the meantime I don't want to lose out on a good deal.

smilinteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2019, 08:12 PM   #2
jrill
Registered Member

I think so. The seem to go for around $250 each, sometimes with a mount.

jrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2019, 01:10 PM   #3
ghostman
Registered Member

I think that's a very good deal. I would take it....

Current Tank Info: 40IM Fusion, 40lbs of rock, and 20lbs of sand. Just a few fish and corals....for now.
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2019, 01:19 PM   #4
smilinteddy
Registered Member

That's what was my initial thought too. I am just always worried about buying used electronics. With a tank it's pretty much going to be ok as long as there are no leaks or cracks. Most things like skimmers or reactors or things like that if part of it goes out it's usually like a pump or something g that you can repair or replace.

With something like LED light fixtures, if something goes wrong, I don't have any knowledge as far as repairing or replacing or even knowing if it's possible. I just don't want to end up with a really expensive dead light.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

smilinteddy is offline   Reply With Quote