Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/15/2018, 07:26 PM   #1
Cancun
Registered Member

Help! Considering a tank upgrade!!!

Hi everyone! My husband finally agreed to let me upgrade my tank to a brand new Red Sea Reefer XXL 750. One one hand I am excited....on the other hand freaking out! Please ease my fears! The new tank will be in the same room but in a different area. Here goes:

1. I don't want to have a cycle, will be using 100lbs of my current live rock, new sand, and buying another 100lbs of new cured live rock.

2. I have spent years getting my fish and corals that I wanted. Some were hard to find. Tank is how I like it. Everything is thriving. But I need more room.

3. My biggest worry is loosing my fish or nems I have had for years. I worry about this the most.

Please help set my mind at ease....any tips or stories of your tank upgrades will be appreciated! My current tank is a 4 ft 80 gallon. Thanks in advance! Pic of current tank taken today.....

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 12:17 AM   #2
rffanat1c
Registered Member

Don’t worry. Get new tank in place. Fill with sand and have enough water ready in garbage cans. Transfer rock and put in new rock. Fill with old and new water and transfer it all over and you’re good to go. Done this myself many a time with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rffanat1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 10:24 AM   #3
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

^^This.

I just went from an in wall 90 to a custom 220 at our new house 25mins down the road. Haven’t lost a thing. Have MORE water on hand than you think. Don’t rush it, it’s a process but easily do able, although will be messy! Haha Good luck!

Unread 12/16/2018, 10:30 AM   #4
Cancun
Registered Member

Thanks! I feel better now!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2018, 05:42 PM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffanat1c View Post
Don’t worry. Get new tank in place. Fill with sand and have enough water ready in garbage cans. Transfer rock and put in new rock. Fill with old and new water and transfer it all over and you’re good to go. Done this myself many a time with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^This, except put the rock in first, aquascape until you get it how you want it, then add sand and water. If you place the rocks on top of the sand you run the risk of landslides when fish like your Leopard Wrasses (my FAVORITE, btw), snails, etc go rooting around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
^^This.

I just went from an in wall 90 to a custom 220 at our new house 25mins down the road. Haven’t lost a thing. Have MORE water on hand than you think. Don’t rush it, it’s a process but easily do able, although will be messy! Haha Good luck!
Will it be going in the space occupied by your current system? If so, ^^^This^^^

If it's in another location, take your time and get it right!

Either way, it's not as hard as you think it's going to be. Have lots of water made up, 2x the buckets you think you'll need, spare plumbing parts, and a whole day to do it.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 09:50 AM   #6
steallife904
Registered Member

try to put the current rocks with coral and nems you have in the same general location in the new tank to reduce stress. If they are happy with the light they are getting now in there current location you should do your best to match it. This is not a MUST but it is possible they wont like the light they get from a new spot. A
Also does your leopard wrasse eat food you feed the other fish or copepods only? If only copepods you may need to add more to the tank a few times the first month or so. You will probably impact the copepods in the tank during the move.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2018, 11:12 AM   #7
jacksonpt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBoreReefer View Post
^^This.

And more towels.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 01:45 PM   #8
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

What is that spotted fish in the first picture? That's an awesome looking fish.

I recently upgraded from a 65 gallon to a 150 gallon. same room...very similar situation. I first filled the new tank about half way with new saltwater, temp and salinity matched to the existing tank and pH close. Then I added my new (dry) rock to the new tank. Then I cleaned my old sand and transferred to the new tank (many recommend new sand). Then I moved over my live rock and coral. Then came the fish. Once all livestock was transferred over, I transferred some of my old tank water to the new tank and topped off to the proper level with new water. probably only used about 25 gallons of old tank water. I had no nitrogen cycle at all, but have had some more algae growth which has been slowing. I believe that's from my old sand being transferred and possibly not rinsed well enough. Whole process of transferring everything took me about 8 hours to do by myself, including removing the old tank.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 03:56 PM   #9
jlmawp
Registered Member

And to address the cycle concern, I don't think you'll have one. You are keeping the same bio-load with double the bacteria footprint you had before with the new rock included. Unless there is tons of die-off on the new rock, you should be fine.

Your tank makes it clear you know what you're doing. Just go for it, and post more pictures when it's done

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2018, 04:27 PM   #10
T-dub
Registered Member

I just got through my first month after upgrading from a 30 gal to a 65. I was worried too but it went pretty smooth. All the comments above are good. Make sure you have lots of water on hand. Match the salinity and temp. Move most of your rock over and scape. Move everything over. Seemed way easier to me than it should have been but everyone is thriving. My bicolor blenny even comes out and swims in open water now!

T-dub is offline   Reply With Quote