Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2019, 03:31 PM   #1
jburton0213
Registered Member

At what point would alkalinity kill fish?

At what point would alkalinity kill fish?

Just got back into the hobby a couple months ago. Got a fish with ich and then moved all fish to a qt for hyposalinity. Then I came across a copper banded butterfly fish, which is my favorite fish and had to have it. Put him in a seperate qt away from other fish and it actually started eating brine shrimp. Moved it to qt and everything was going great. CBB was eating really well. I was so happy considering the the CBBs reputation.

I've been using dkh superbuffer to control ph in the qt. Did a 50% WC last night and had to add buffer to it to bring up the ph to match the qt tank. After water change everybody was good. Got up this morning and checked on them before I went to work. Everything was good. Texted my wife at about lunch and asked her to feed the fish like I usually do. She then calls me and tells me that every one of my fish are dead. A yellow tang, the CBB and 2 crowns. The only thing I can think that it could be is the dkh buffer I'd been adding to the tank. I had the wife check the params, ph was 8 and salinity was 1.009. I'll stop on the way home to get a alkalinity test to know for sure.

jburton0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2019, 05:58 PM   #2
jburton0213
Registered Member

Wasn't alkalinity. Dkh was 7.

Unread 11/18/2019, 09:23 PM   #3
Alex114
Registered Member

Dkh is just a measurement of alkalinity. They’re the same thing. And what are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

Alex114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2019, 10:24 PM   #4
jburton0213
Registered Member

Ammonia on the salifert tester read below .25 ppm (safe) when my wife checked it when she found them and also when I got home. I tested it using the api tester and a sample of water that I had her take when she found them. It read .25ppm. No idea how long they were actually dead in the water when she found them at 1pm. They were fine at 7am. Nitrates were about 10 to 20 ppm. They were higher during the weekend as that's the reason for such a large water change. Cant find my nitrite test atm. Temp was 80 when both of us checked at 1 and 6pm. How prevalent is dissolved o2 an issue?

Unread 11/19/2019, 05:45 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Did you have any water movement/powerhead/bubbler/mechanical filter, etc... in the qt tank?

Unread 11/19/2019, 06:03 AM   #6
alton
Registered Member

If you are having to buffer the water with no corals present, normally that means you are not getting enough oxygen into the tank

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2019, 06:59 AM   #7
jburton0213
Registered Member

It was under hyposalinity treatment. I read that low ph becomes an issue when you're doing this. Is that not correct?

I have a canister filter on the qt. Theres some surface agitation. I turned the pump on on the wc barrel a few hours before to warm the water up. I'm not sure if this was enough.

Unread 11/22/2019, 02:47 AM   #8
wilmaluna
Registered Member

I rarely measure alkalinity (or anything else except temp and salinity), and it may vary with season since my limewater delivery is dependent on evaporation, but usually it is in the 7-9 dKH range.

wilmaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2019, 04:18 PM   #9
Sk8r
RC Mod

If you weren't running a pump it was likely lack of oxygen. A canister filter just can't oxygenate the way an open sump plus skimmer can, and if there was too little water volume for the fish number and too few air bubbles injected, that would be my instant suspect. Just as a note, best to forget ph and track alkalinity. Ph is up and down a lot in a marine tank: it can cause trouble in chasing it. Alk is much more stable.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2019, 04:28 PM   #10
wrott
Registered Member

If you fed too much, NH3 and nitrite, NO2, would be the killer.
Fish would show signs of distress, lethargy, dark color, clinched fins.
30% WC 30 mins after feeding is a good idea, sucking up uneaten food and waste.
I'm very sorry for the loss.

120g SPS, 125g mix, 56g FOWLR, 20g qt
wrott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alkalinity ph