Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/30/2019, 09:18 AM   #1
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Cheap transfer pump

I'm looking for the cheapest option for a pump for use during water changes. I currently store my new saltwater in my basement, and lug up buckets of water, but am looking for something cheap to pump water from my basement to the first floor to refill my tank after draining. Don't need anything particularly fast, and will only be run intermittently during water changes. Total height would be about 16 feet or so. Any ideas on something cheap that is reef safe and can handle that kind of head pressure? My only thought would be a pump for a sprayer, like would be used on an RV or boat.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2019, 09:48 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Define "cheap"..
External or internal pump?
Pumping through garden hose or something else?

16ft vertical through garden hose is no joke... "cheap" will likely mean something like $200 (Panworld 100px)
or a larger Jebao DCP or something ..

Unread 01/30/2019, 10:08 AM   #3
Forgiven1973
Registered Member

I used a mag24 on my old tank. Sometimes u can find a used one for around $100

Forgiven1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2019, 10:39 AM   #4
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

I was afraid of that. I was hoping cheap would mean <$100. The sprayer pumps I found are around $70 and can do 40+psi, so can easily handle the head pressure. They only run at about 5 GPM though. Not a big deal I guess. I have a 150 gallon tank, and would normally do 30 gallon water changes. So would take about 6 minutes or so to fill up. Didn 't know if there were any better options though.

I currently use one of the sprayer pumps for a custom sump pump for a large humidifier at my job and it has all plastic pump components, so I assume would be reef safe.

Unread 01/30/2019, 10:40 AM   #5
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Wouldn't care internal vs external. I'm also flexible on the plumbing. I envisioned either a PVC line or flexible tubing.

Unread 02/12/2019, 11:51 AM   #6
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Anyone ever use a diaphragm pump like this for saltwater transfer? plenty of pressure, but low flow rate. would be fine for me for water changes. I don't mind if it takes half an hour to fill the tank back up after a water change. plus is only kike $14. Normally used in RVs or on boats for running a shower or garden hose or whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...EGJNR9ED&psc=1

Unread 02/12/2019, 01:57 PM   #7
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I'm using a used Mag12 that I picked up from someone else who broke down their tank. It works out reasonably well, and the price was right, but I need to buy fittings for it to make it easier to get the hose on and off (I struggle to get hose on the stock fitting of the pump). It's also a pain to prime it to get it to start lifting water from a standstill. But it works, and the price was good, and it moves faster fast once I get it primed.

I'd say pick up a used magdrive pump. They last forever.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2019, 02:16 PM   #8
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastator007 View Post
Anyone ever use a diaphragm pump like this for saltwater transfer? plenty of pressure, but low flow rate. would be fine for me for water changes. I don't mind if it takes half an hour to fill the tank back up after a water change. plus is only kike $14. Normally used in RVs or on boats for running a shower or garden hose or whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...EGJNR9ED&psc=1
I use a similar pump for the washdown hose on my boat (but a bigger model and high quality). I would not waste my money on a $14 pump like that. It will be absolute garbage.

Your best bet is to look for a used Mag 18 or Mag 24. You can probably find one on ebay or craigslist for under $100. These are bullet proof and will last years.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 06:22 PM   #9
BlueRoofTang
Registered Member

I would also recommend a mag24. I used to use one as a return pump, from my sump in the basement. It flowed just fine. The biggest reason I upgraded is because it's a big power hog and changing to a DC pump will pay for itself in a year, just in electric savings.

Keep in mind the old saying...."buy once, cry once. Buy twice, cry twice." Sometimes, you're better off to buy something you KNOW will do the job, than to gamble with something that may end up just wasted money.

BlueRoofTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 09:01 AM   #10
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I think I'll hold off on a pump to re-fill my tank during water changes until I can find a good deal locally on a MAG 24 (or possibly 18). I suppose it's better to wait and do it right.

Unread 02/18/2019, 09:55 AM   #11
CLM65
Registered Member

I use a $70 utility pump from Home Depot to pump from my garage to the tank on the second floor. I figured I would have to replace it every couple of years, but has been about 18 years so far with no trouble. I’m not sure if it is technically “safe” for the aquarium, but I haven’t noticed any ill effects.

CLM65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 12:05 PM   #12
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLM65 View Post
I use a $70 utility pump from Home Depot to pump from my garage to the tank on the second floor. I figured I would have to replace it every couple of years, but has been about 18 years so far with no trouble. I’m not sure if it is technically “safe” for the aquarium, but I haven’t noticed any ill effects.
That is an interesting idea. I wouldn't be too worried about replacing every few years, but would be concerned with anything metal sitting in my salt water mix container for long periods of time. Would hate to cause an issue with my coral or fish because I used a bad pump or something. "may be fine" or "likely okay" are things I try my best to avoid. Nice to hear you've gone so long with no issues. I wonder if there's a way to see what the wetted materials are. Is this a submersible pump you use?

Unread 02/18/2019, 02:04 PM   #13
CLM65
Registered Member

It is not a submersible pump - it is a small in-line pump called a transfer utility pump or something like that. It has garden hose connections - one end (outlet)transitions to PVC pipe I have running up to my tank, while the other end has a hose I drop into my water mixing container when I'm ready to refill the tank. I'll admit it is a bit loud and slow, and I'm not sure what materials are used. I drain it after use, but I don't flush it or lubricate it. I don't see the same model on the HD site, but it is similar in design to the one below (if I linked it properly). When it fails, I will probably look at one of the mag drive pumps mentioned above, but so far it has been cheap and very reliable.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECO-FLO-...UP61/207061330

CLM65 is offline   Reply With Quote