Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/28/2017, 11:57 AM   #1
therealkilo
Registered Member

Water Change with premixed water from 2 weeks ago

I get premixed SW from my LFS. They mix up huge quantities of a great brand and have an awesome dispersal system and sell it per gallon.

I got 20 gallons two weeks ago and only used 10. The other 10 is still in two large 5 gallon culligan jugs.

Still think its okay to use for a water change?

It has been sitting in my stairwell with the tempature of 50-60 degrees and no direct light.

therealkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2017, 12:01 PM   #2
jmm
Registered Member

I've used water like that and had no bad effects. A water change is a small percentage of the water in the tank.

But, I'm no expert on the degradation of stored salt water.

jmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2017, 12:03 PM   #3
SABOB
Registered Member

I would aerate it for awhile and check temp and ph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 12gl NanoCube,55gl softies,fish
SABOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2017, 12:05 PM   #4
therealkilo
Registered Member

Thanks jmm. Yeah I feel like since the temperature is low and no direct sunlight. It should be okay? I only have a 55 gallon but alot of LR. So probably only like 40-45 gallons of actual water in the tank. :\

Unread 01/28/2017, 12:06 PM   #5
therealkilo
Registered Member

Thanks SABOB, hahah Yeah I live in Minnesota so I am gonna bring it in and def let the temp rise. And get my shake shake shake on with those jugs! AIR!!!

Unread 01/28/2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Joe0813
Registered Member

ive used saltwater that was 2.5-3 weeks old. Never had an issue. but I also have a pump to keep the water moving

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2017, 09:03 PM   #7
spiraling
Registered Member

As long as the salt is fully dissolved and the water is up to temp - why would there be an issue? The water in your tank is older than that.

spiraling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2017, 09:13 PM   #8
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkilo View Post
I get premixed SW from my LFS. They mix up huge quantities of a great brand and have an awesome dispersal system and sell it per gallon.

I got 20 gallons two weeks ago and only used 10. The other 10 is still in two large 5 gallon culligan jugs.

Still think its okay to use for a water change?

It has been sitting in my stairwell with the tempature of 50-60 degrees and no direct light.

What is "a great brand"?

Depending on what brand of salt it is, will dictate wether or not it "should" be stored in a mixed state.
Having said that, I doubt there will be any negative effects from using it. Randy has a write up about stored salt water. If vitamins or any extras are added to the mix. The answer is no, don't bulk mix and store. Use right away. Some salts like regular IO can be mixed and held for long periods of time with no issues. Others, should not be.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2017, 09:14 PM   #9
ericarenee
Registered Member

i make 100 gallons at a time and do so about once every two weeks. You can store it just fine.

I am not sure what GREAT BRAND IS.... its prob IO....... Awesome dispensary system a tank with a hose and pump..

I WOULD check there tds and nutrient levels LFS Store tend to not sell 0 tds water ...

anyway store it with no pumps no air and in cool if your doing big water change heat it to temp and use.. DO NOT Keep it heated or air stone in it ..

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saltwater, water, water change