Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2017, 07:09 PM   #1
BlueRoofTang
Registered Member

Need help finding a power adapter

I have an ecotech Vectra L1 that's missing the power adapter. Well, I bought a bunch of used stuff and don't know if it's the adapter for the MP10 or the Vectra that I have, or which I am missing.

I know the adapter I have will work for the MP10 and the L1 pump. Here is the info on it:

autec power supply
Model: gpe072d-320225w
P/N: dt720d-320225w
Approval No.: gma-103322-ea-009

I don't mind a generic, but ecotech wants $150 for the replacement, and that's just ridiculous.

Thanks for the help.

BlueRoofTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 07:29 PM   #2
salty joe
Registered Member

Usually voltage and amperage requirements are listed on the appliance and the voltage and amperage output is listed on the adapter.

All you need to find out is what voltage and amperage is needed. If you find an adapter with the right voltage but higher amperage, that's fine. The right voltage but not enough amperage is not a good thing.

$150 for a wall wart is crazy, unless there's something special about it.

Unread 03/19/2017, 08:09 PM   #3
snowwhite1234
Registered Member

This is also the problem I am interested

snowwhite1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 08:21 PM   #4
karimwassef
Registered Member

Find out if it's the 36V version. It should say somewhere on the pump or the controller input.

I think it is 36VDC at 150W or less. Then go to amazon or ebay and get one.

https://www.amazon.com/T-Power-adapt.../dp/B00GU7MSWA

That looks in the ballpark. I think these pumps are also supposed to have built in intelligence (or the controller does) so if the power supply isn't sufficient - it won't run.

Given the massive inflation by the reef vendors, I'd give this a try personally.. but it's your pump.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 05:27 PM   #5
BlueRoofTang
Registered Member

It says:

Input: 100-240v 1.8A

Output: 32v 2250mA 72W

Based on this, I don't need to put the 36v one you posted on it, correct?

Unread 03/20/2017, 05:32 PM   #6
BlueRoofTang
Registered Member

What do you think about this one? The plug end...is it just measured on the outside diameter? I know how to check polarity. This one doesn't show the usual symbol for it, but I can put a meter to it and find out. https://www.amazon.com/XINY-Switchin...witching+power

Unread 03/20/2017, 07:12 PM   #7
karimwassef
Registered Member

Should work.

It's disturbing how much being a "reef pump adapter" inflates the cost of things. I get that everyone needs to make a profit and aquarium customers are low volume, but it's the same adapter used for a whole bunch of other applications...

Getting off my box.. it's an expensive "reef hobby" box so it costs 15x what a generic box costs

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 02:18 PM   #8
oreo57
Registered Member

$150 ABSOLUTE crazy price..and no guarantee it would last any longer than any other switching power supply.
I join you on your box..

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 03:01 PM   #9
Gorgok
Registered Member

A proper name branded power supply would cost less than that by a long shot....

And i assume all they do is have the case (or maybe just the sticker) customized for them, internals are still whatever crap the rest have in them.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 03:25 PM   #10
BlueRoofTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty joe View Post
Usually voltage and amperage requirements are listed on the appliance and the voltage and amperage output is listed on the adapter.

All you need to find out is what voltage and amperage is needed. If you find an adapter with the right voltage but higher amperage, that's fine. The right voltage but not enough amperage is not a good thing.

$150 for a wall wart is crazy, unless there's something special about it.
I have a conspiracy theory on these adapters...
They buy them cheap from china, and relabel them so it looks as if they are the only source to buy it. They either get them in an oddball milliamp, volt, or wattage, so they are the only source to buy it....and then they mark them up about 1000%.

I actually talked to an electrical engineer at work today. He helped me pick out one that I think will work fine, and it was about $20 shipped. Provided it works, I'll post it up.

Unread 03/22/2017, 07:34 AM   #11
perkint
Registered Member

My MP10QD​ is 24V, MP40QD​ is 32V and M1 is 36V - bluddy annoying. The PSU for the MP10 failed so i swapped it for a mean well one for about $40. Have spare 36V PSUs so not worried about the M1, and just about to pick up a mean well HLG-60H-30A (the A model has adjustable voltage so can be tweaked to 32V) for the MP40. I'd rather get splash or waterproof Mean Well ones for less money than an Ecotech one, even if i do have to add my own connections!

For the L1 it looks like it's 130W and 36V. I'd look at the LPV-150-36. Maybe the LPV-35-24 for the MP10 as that is (assuming it's the same as mine) 24V and Ecotech say the MP10QD is less than 20W.

Tim

perkint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 08:20 PM   #12
BlueRoofTang
Registered Member

I ordered one for $16.80 and it works like a charm.

The story, to make sure I don't mislead anybody unintentionally:

I bought an L1 as part of a tank breakdown package. Turns out that I didn't get the power adapter. I then bought a new MP40. A few weeks later, an old mag24 return pump failed, so I wanted to put the L1 in its place. I borrowed the adapter off of the MP40 and put it on the L1. It worked well, so I wanted to find another cord so I could use both pumps.

Therefore, I can't really say that this power adapter is exactly what comes with the L1 pump. I just know I've run it for about a week and a half without any problems at all. I'm pumping up about 11ft and it puts out enough that I can't run it wide open or the overflow begins getting pretty noisy.

Here is the part I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unread 08/30/2017, 08:35 PM   #13
BlueRoofTang
Registered Member

anybody have specs on the OEM adapter for the L1?