Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2017, 08:04 PM   #1
Charlessyverson
Registered Member

2 clown, 1 6 line wrasse, what else??

I have a 30 gallon JBJ rimless I am planning my stocking list for. I would really like a pair of clowns and a 6 line wrasse. What else would fit in the tank? I would like something in the bottom part of the tank. Also, any other mid-level fish fit in that group?

I appreciate any advice/feedback...from the experts!!

Charlessyverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 08:38 PM   #2
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

A yellow watchmen goby, royal gramma n fire goby, should be ok with other fish.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 08:09 AM   #3
Jadams
Registered Member

I personally wouldn't go with a sixline if I were you. They get to be very territorial and mean. BUT...if you are forsure going to get one, just introduce him to the tank last. Get the clowns and any of the other recommendations above first. Adding the sixline last will be your best bet. Good luck!

Unread 03/22/2017, 11:33 AM   #4
static916
Registered Member

Yellow/Green Clown Goby

static916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 03:06 PM   #5
Gagonzalez
Reef Fanatic

I've had both a pair of clowns and a 6 line. Neither are good choices. The 6 line became a bully after about 2 months and I had to return him. The clown pair became territorial and pretty much killed everything else in the tank including shrimp and snails that they pushed to the edge of the tank and then crushed to death by repeatedly pushing/banging them against the glass.

My current stocking list which has worked out great for over a year now is:
1 Clown Fish (not part of a mated pair)
1 Pajama Cardinal
1 Banggai Cardinal
1 Royal Gramma
1 Red Sea Mimic Blenny

Good Luck!

Current Tank Info: JBJ 28g Nano / Aquamaxx HOB-1 / TLF 150 with GFO/ Vortech MP10QD / JBJ ATO / In-Tank Basket / AI Hydra26
Gagonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 03:06 PM   #6
jlmawp
Registered Member

About the 6-line wrasse...

If you have some nicer, mature live rock with a good amount of micro-fauna on them, be prepared to watch them all but disappear. Brittle stars, pods, worms...none seem to be safe from them. Those little guys will destroy the biodiversity of a smaller tank. Once I got rid of mine after realizing this, I've seen a slow return of micro-fauna over the last 6 months or so, and I'm now back to pre-wrasse levels.

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 12:02 PM   #7
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Cherub angelfish, separately hawkfish, gobies, shrimps, urchins, tiny eel species, dottybacks.

Of course not all of them will get along with each other and that's parts of the challenge in sticking. But there are plenty of colorful small fishes from the reefs that can be kept in our tanks. Research is your best friend.

Bagabaga is offline   Reply With Quote