Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2019, 10:22 PM   #1
joshrhykerd
Registered Member

Brown Hair Algae ID?

Aprox. two weeks ago I started get develop a brown algae in my 32 gallon BioCube. It seems to start somewhat like a dusting and then develops into what looks like a brown hair. It's on my sand, back wall and mainly on my rocks. The rocks are the only location where it seems to really develop into the hair. I've attempted manual removal one time and it came right back in about 2 days or so. It does not really seem to be slimy or sticky and it is very easy to remove. Nothing new has been added to the tank. All of my parameters seem to be in check and I perform daily automatic .5 gallon water changes. I use Aquavitro Salinity for my salt and I run my tap water thru a BRS 6 stage RODI unit. I'm getting 0 TDS both before and after my DI resin however I did notice that my resin seems to be depleted and I have new resin on the way. With all my params testing out ok and my RODI water reading 0 TDS I thought maybe it was silicates slipping past the DI resin. I got a silicate test and this does not seem to be the case. I tested my tank, RODI water and some freshly mixed saltwater and they all read 0. I did add some PhosBond prior to getting the silicate test just incase that was the problem. I am also currently running GFO & Carbon in a media reactor. Here is a list of my current parameters along with some pictures.

Nitrite: 0
Phosphate: .04
Silicate: 0
Alkalinity: 9
Magnesium: 1340
Calcium: 435

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4407.jpg (84.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4405.jpg (62.0 KB, 14 views)
joshrhykerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2019, 10:28 PM   #2
joshrhykerd
Registered Member

I guess I should also mention that my tank in its current state is aprox. 7 months old. I say current state because I just recently moved it. From the old tank I kept all of my rock and filter media. I did add new sand during the move. While I did go under a very small cycle from the move that ended long ago after about 2 or 3 weeks. The tank previous to the move was almost 2 years old and was completely stable.

Unread 08/21/2019, 10:57 PM   #3
joshrhykerd
Registered Member

Pretty sure it's dinos after some research...