Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2018, 07:15 PM   #1
Maxi
Registered Member

SPS Polyp/color struggle

Hello, I posted this in the reef chemistry forum but I figured I would get some more answers here.

Recently I moved across town, about 25 minutes, and the tank is finally getting back on its feet but it definitely took some damage on my SPS corals. Sorry for the long post:

I have moved this tank across the country 3x in the past year, so I know I didn't do anything different regarding the move. I always use zip ties, inside a heated and running cooler with egg crate on the bottom, plugged in to an outlet in the car.

But, then I noticed the tips of my SPS got burnt looking, the bases as well. So, I immediately tested when I noticed the change and my parameters where:

Alkalinity: 6.1
Calcium: 420
Magnesium: 1230
Salinity: 1.026
Temperature: 78

I also do weekly 5 gallon water changes. My tank is a 25g innovative marine lagoon. I am running the ghost skimmer, and blue lights only, running from 2pm to 12am.

After noticing the above parameters, I started dosing 2 part again, which I never dose much of. I'm guessing since the corals are larger now, my water changes aren't enough to keep up with the demand. I am using Seachem.

Stats after dosing for two weeks, almost daily testing at around the same time of day with salifert kits. This is what the parameters stick to:

Alkalnity: 7.7~8.6
Calcium: 430~460
Magnesium: 1320~1400
Salinity: 1.026
Temperature: 79

I raised the temperature by 1 degree, I live up north so the average temperature in the house with the AC off is around 75.

The steps I have taken other than the above, is changing the light cycle from 12pm to 10:30pm, to 2pm to 12:00 am so I have more time to observe it after work.

I have reduced the intensity of my LED lights Artic t247, from 45% to 38%. I have also increased my feeding to 3/4 mysis cube a day, spot feeding everything. Please correct my spelling if you find something.

The tanks inhabitants:

1 True Percula
1 Six line Wrasse
1 Pom pom Crab
4 snails
LPS (acans, Euphylia)
Zoas
SPS consist of Green Slimer, Red Planet Acro, 2 non ID, red monti cap.
1 Kenya Tree(it is starting to spread)
Some other softies like a rhodactis mushroom, gsp on the glass floor.

My tank is bare bottom. I have about 15 pounds of Pukani rock in there as well. The tank is turning 2 years old in August. For flow, I have 3 Jebao's, 2 running at random, and one at setting 1, not the pulse setting. Middle speeds for all, that tank flow is great I would say, the only deadspot collects all the poop, and I just siphon it out.

Please let me know if I am taking the right steps. Another step I have been thinking of taking is dosing alk in the mornings, and calcium at night. Not sure if this would make any difference.

Thank you for all of your help, this tank is amazing and I would hate to lose the SPS. They are definitely recovering by the looks of it, but how long does the recovery take?

Maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2018, 07:16 PM   #2
Maxi
Registered Member

Before this move, my SPS were growing faster, and had the most beautiful colors I have seen in my tank.

Reef chem forum is thinking there may be organics in the water column, so to dose vodka again to help with it. I am not sure, and I want to take the right steps. I will be testing the water again tonight, I will let you know results.

Unread 05/18/2018, 07:47 PM   #3
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Any instability is going to **** SPS off. They can stop growing, lose color, and lose tissue. If you just moved, I would just let things settle down and expect the SPS to get their color back and start growing within a few months. Even if everything is perfect it will take some time to see results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2018, 08:37 PM   #4
Maxi
Registered Member

Got it. I think I'm just going to keep it simple for the next few months. Stick to my daily 7.5ml dosing, and 5g weekly water changes.

Would you agree? Every single coral is growing like a weed except the SPS.

Unread 05/19/2018, 07:30 AM   #5
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

SPS Polyp/color struggle

Just keep a regular maintenance schedule which keeps your alk, nitrate, and phosphate levels steady. You didn’t mention values for nitrate and phosphate. Imperfect levels are okay as long as they aren’t bouncing all over the place. Quit fiddling with the lights, just let everything get used to the new tank and colors and growth will return in a few months.

Side note, corals consume alkalinity at the end of the photoperiod, continuing to a few hours after lights out, so dosing alkalinity in the evening is better than morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 10:55 AM   #6
Maxi
Registered Member

I did not know that about alk consumption. Thank you.

I picked up oyster feast and will be broadcast feeding 1x a day, and spot feed 3x a week with it. They reacted very well to it yesterday, I had no idea they reacted that way when fed.

I also picked up some carbon so i can keep that running as well.