Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Jyetman
Registered Member

Dosing pump question

I have a 4 year old seaside aquatics single head doser. What is easier on the head a slow or a fast drip? I been doing a slow drip for 2 years and the head finally wore out today. Is the wear and tear similar for faster drips does it really matter?

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 07:01 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Is the speed adjustable or are you just talking about longer vs shorter "on" times?
Many are not rated for continuous duty and may have a duty cycle..
Its pump motor specific though and I'm not sure of whats in your current one..

Unread 05/17/2018, 07:49 PM   #3
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Is the speed adjustable or are you just talking about longer vs shorter "on" times?
Many are not rated for continuous duty and may have a duty cycle..
Its pump motor specific though and I'm not sure of whats in your current one..
Yes its adjustable its a cheap $40 single doser with a 12 volt plug. I use my apex and set it for a 3 minute slow kalk drip every 6 minutes.

Unread 05/17/2018, 08:14 PM   #4
Jyetman
Registered Member

Not complaining just curious if other MFG heads last about the same or longer. Thinking of buying a higher end doser with two heads.

Unread 05/18/2018, 04:37 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyetman View Post
Not complaining just curious if other MFG heads last about the same or longer. Thinking of buying a higher end doser with two heads.
Yes.. Others may last longer..
Which is kind of hard to recommend..
You are likely looking into the Cole Parmer,etc... medical grade if you want proven longer life.. as such $$$ expect a big price difference...

I don't understand why you would need to dose kalk so often like that though so I'm not sure you have a problem that really needs to be solved..
Just dose it like the rest of the world does

Unread 05/18/2018, 10:54 AM   #6
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes.. Others may last longer..
Which is kind of hard to recommend..
You are likely looking into the Cole Parmer,etc... medical grade if you want proven longer life.. as such $$$ expect a big price difference...

I don't understand why you would need to dose kalk so often like that though so I'm not sure you have a problem that really needs to be solved..
Just dose it like the rest of the world does
I never could find other forums for a good dosing regiment. What is the best way to dose KALK with apex every few minutes or longer interval periods? How fast does the drip need to be for a softy tank? My ALK is always high (11 DKH) and CA always low (360) is why I dose the kalk high trying to get CA up. I been adding a Brightwell CA sup to get 400.

Unread 05/18/2018, 11:16 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

While I don't use Kalk I do use 2 part..
I think I dose 2-3 times a day.. Thats plenty..

Many just run kalk in their ATO which likely only runs a few times a day if that..

There is absolutely no reason (and even more so with a softy tank) to be dosing every 6 minutes.. Thats insane overkill..

The only time you might need to dose more than a couple times a day is with a heavily stocked SPS tank where daily alk consumption is in the 1 to 2+dkh a day range..

Unread 05/18/2018, 12:04 PM   #8
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
While I don't use Kalk I do use 2 part..
I think I dose 2-3 times a day.. Thats plenty..

Many just run kalk in their ATO which likely only runs a few times a day if that..

There is absolutely no reason (and even more so with a softy tank) to be dosing every 6 minutes.. Thats insane overkill..

The only time you might need to dose more than a couple times a day is with a heavily stocked SPS tank where daily alk consumption is in the 1 to 2+dkh a day range..
Are we talking a slow ML drip throughout the day or few cups couple times a day? Why would my API DKH reading be always at 10 to 11 dkh? Is this a possible false reading its so confusing? I notice PH with open doors at 8.50 by midday.

Unread 05/18/2018, 12:08 PM   #9
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

I wish i heard about the seaside pump a few months ago, I was looking for something just like that, oh well.

I agree with mcgyvr, that's a lot of kalk. if you really need that much it's time to look at 2 part. I think you got your money's worth on that pump though. 12 hours a day for 2 years is more than my BRS 50ml/min would do.

do you check your Mag levels? is there a white film on your heater? the calcium is going somewhere, is your sand bed hard like a rock?

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2018, 02:14 PM   #10
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguyy84 View Post
I wish i heard about the seaside pump a few months ago, I was looking for something just like that, oh well.

I agree with mcgyvr, that's a lot of kalk. if you really need that much it's time to look at 2 part. I think you got your money's worth on that pump though. 12 hours a day for 2 years is more than my BRS 50ml/min would do.

do you check your Mag levels? is there a white film on your heater? the calcium is going somewhere, is your sand bed hard like a rock?
No sand bed is not hard like rock. I have critters that always digging into the gravel. Its fine crushed aragonite which is old from 2002 can that be the cause? I heard aragonite buffering doesn't last long.

Unread 05/18/2018, 02:21 PM   #11
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Make a solution of Kalk & use it for your top off water.
Easiest way to do it.

Unread 05/18/2018, 02:26 PM   #12
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyetman View Post
Are we talking a slow ML drip throughout the day or few cups couple times a day? Why would my API DKH reading be always at 10 to 11 dkh? Is this a possible false reading its so confusing? I notice PH with open doors at 8.50 by midday.
Whats wrong with 10-11dkh?
If your kalk is maintaining that level due to consumption thats fine....
Accepted range is 7-11dkh..
Some salt mixes are 11dkh or higher and as such tanks with low consumption will stay at that level..

Unread 05/18/2018, 04:07 PM   #13
Jyetman
Registered Member

Is 5 1/2 Gallons of Kalk mix in 3 days too much dosing for a fully stocked softy tank?

Tags
doser heads, doser life, seaside aquatics doser