Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/29/2019, 05:07 PM   #2851
blake2shay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty76 View Post
I've been searching the forums to see if anyone had ideas for a Plexiglas lid for the BioCube. I don't like not having a lid, I've lost snails and fish that way. Just really wanted to see what other people had done. I'm tired of buying new bulbs every couple months and I have a couple extra LED lights I picked up that I could use.

I'm going to be trying a few materials soon on making my own. Mostly plexiglass with a mesh net for air exchange. I'll post a sketch of what I'm planning to do soon. I should have one made this coming month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blake2shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2019, 12:57 PM   #2852
blake2shay
Registered Member

Something like this. With cut outs with an acrylic netting to prevent fish jumping out and also enough pieces of thick acrylic to support it from bending and flexing.
I'm just trying to find the right size sheet near me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 05/10/2019, 08:04 PM   #2853
blake2shay
Registered Member

I've gotten materials and started making my own lid.
I got a sheet of acrylic at Home Depot that's about twice what I need. My plan is to make two layers of acrylic with a mesh net I got off eBay using five minute epoxy to seal it all together.
I had to stop working because of rain but here's what I got so far using a jigsaw and a drill. Sandpaper to follow. Making a one inch border, no cross beams like I thought I would need. This stuff is strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 05/29/2019, 03:35 PM   #2854
Schmidty76
Registered Member

I've now made two lids for my biocube. The first was a thin piece of plexiglass and it warped within a week, bad enough it was touching the water. The second I used a piece of 1/4 inch thick stuff. It looked really nice for about a month, now it's warped and curling on the corners.

Schmidty76 is offline   Reply With Quote