Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/25/2017, 08:26 PM   #1
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

Back to Basics SPS 40B

Hey all, figured I would post something here for my fellow sps nuts. Been into sps for years. Had a thriving 75 mixed reef for ~5 years that I tore down a while back for a move. Pictured here shortly after a stretch of removed acropora when AEFW first hit the hobby.

IMG_0551.jpg

A few years with no tank gave me the itch so I set up a Fluval M60 24 gallon and foolishly focused on a choice few SPS corals. Had ATO, ATS, automated 2 part, temp control, etched weekly 5g water changes. Ran a Razor for lighting that was ok but always wondered about how well it did. Switched to a 4 bulb Sunpower but didn't really give noticeable change. After 2 years of ups and downs of corals thriving at times and receding at others I decided to set up a better tank with proper equipment for better stability. Here it is before the switchover. Maybe I would have better results with hardier, less colorful SPS. This tank prompted me to get back to what gave me success with previous systems. T5 lighting, live rock, skimmer, stability.

APC_0006.jpg

Last edited by notenoughtanks; 02/25/2017 at 08:46 PM.
notenoughtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2017, 08:37 PM   #2
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

Back to Basics SPS 40B

So, on to the current setup.

Equipment:
Standard 40 Breeder
Synergy Shadow Overflow
6x24 Dimmable Sunpower
Deltec SCA1351
2x Jebao PP4 w/ JBWave
Maybe a Turbo L2 scrubber

A lot of stuff I kept from the 75 will be reused. Rock I acid washed and stored, 20 long sump, tried and true AC Jr.

Built a stand from Rocket's DIY design and elaborated with a pic from Reefbum's.

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

Attached Images
File Type: jpg APC_0012.jpg (91.0 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by notenoughtanks; 02/25/2017 at 08:57 PM.
Unread 02/25/2017, 08:58 PM   #3
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

And a couple happy corals. APC_0021.jpg

APC_0020.jpg

Up and running. Shot taken with 2 lamps on.

APC_0011.jpg

Unread 02/25/2017, 10:27 PM   #4
SeaMatt Nematocyt
Registered Member

Nice! I've been out of the sps hobby for a long long time. Thankfully I remembered my account...I also have a 40b. At first I was going to do a freshwater planted tank and I currently have a 20g that does well.
But then I thought...Naw. I'll start a new sps with a 40b to help get me back up to snuff with all that lost knowledge.
I used to run a 90g back in the day and started collecting gear to run a massive 300 that I eventually sold before getting married and having kids.

Anyway. I dig the stand and your corals are throwing some nice color.

SeaMatt Nematocyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 10:53 AM   #5
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

I love that stand. And those colonies are looking great. All hail the ATI Sunpower. It looks like you have a pretty sweet 40 breeder setup. I wish I would have gone with a ghost overflow on my 40 breeder.

How do you like the Deltec? Is it quiet? I am considering one for my next setup, but my cheap SCA skimmer works really well (it is just a little noisy).

HuskerBioProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 12:33 PM   #6
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMatt Nematocyt View Post
Anyway. I dig the stand and your corals are throwing some nice color.

Thanks!

Unread 02/26/2017, 12:34 PM   #7
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerBioProf View Post
I love that stand. And those colonies are looking great. All hail the ATI Sunpower. It looks like you have a pretty sweet 40 breeder setup. I wish I would have gone with a ghost overflow on my 40 breeder.

How do you like the Deltec? Is it quiet? I am considering one for my next setup, but my cheap SCA skimmer works really well (it is just a little noisy).

Thanks! Liking it so far. The whole tank is so quiet all I can hear is the skimmer's air intake, which isn't much. Fridge running is louder.

Unread 03/02/2017, 07:12 PM   #8
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

Back to Basics SPS 40B

FTS for today. Everything is very happy and throwing out lots of new growth tips. Especially unknown turquoise stag from Tyree that struggled through 2 years in my 24g and grew explosively once.

Can anyone school me on why the recent trend is to keep alk so much lower than years past? Goal used to be 8-11 dkh but now everyone says 7. I've stabilized at 7.15 and would typically run 8.5ish. Should I stay or should I go now?!

Unread 03/02/2017, 08:43 PM   #9
btb72
Registered Member

With a lot of people running unls they want the lower alk. Otherwise people still stay 8-9

btb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2017, 04:28 PM   #10
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

Everything chugging along nicely! Got my 2 part do sets dialed in and steady at 430 and 7.3. Mag tested at 1300, PO4 at .03, NO3 at 10ppm. Very happy with those numbers!
Been using a mix of Red Sea blue bucket and Coralife 60/40 to get numbers right where I want them and liking results but we'll see how I feel in a year.

2 weeks growth on this guy-
IMG_2681.jpg

Unread 04/20/2017, 08:21 AM   #11
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

Back to Basics SPS 40B

Seeing some small patches of a few different kinds of algae but tang and snails keeping them in check. Still waiting on my ATS. Everybody growing and colored nicely.

Unread 04/22/2017, 06:52 AM   #12
Joe Kelley
Registered Member

Very nice! I'm on a return also and simple is the major principal. Love the colors!

Unread 04/22/2017, 10:24 AM   #13
reefmutt
Registered Member

Very nice colours. Looking very nice..
Great restart!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2017, 12:35 PM   #14
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

Thanks guys!

Some growth shots of this random turquoise stag from Tyree.

3/26/17

4/24/17

Unread 04/26/2017, 06:56 AM   #15
codydemmel4
Registered Member

very nice!

Are you dosing anyadditivies besides two part? How often do you do water changes and what salt? What is your lighting schedule and what are you aiming to keep your alk, calc and phosphates at?

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 07:42 AM   #16
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
very nice!

Are you dosing anyadditivies besides two part? How often do you do water changes and what salt? What is your lighting schedule and what are you aiming to keep your alk, calc and phosphates at?

Only 2 part. I was sparingly using acro power but haven't seen any negative effects since I stopped.

I do weekly 5g water changes with half Red Sea blue bucket and half Coralife. Red Sea is expensive and Coralife is cheap. Red Sea is a bit low on some params and Coralife is a bit high so it works out perfect.

Lighting is 6x24 sunpower. 3 Coral Plus 3 Blue Plus. 12 hours on 1x each and 8 on the other 4 bulbs.

I keep Cal at 450, Alk at 7.3 dKh, mag at 1350ish. I never can get any phosphate to show up on Hanna or salifert, but I also do not have the ultra low Hanna.

I feed NLS small pellets about 2 small pinches a day out of an ehiem auto feeder and 1/2 cube of rods food in the evening.

Hope that helps!

Unread 04/26/2017, 07:46 AM   #17
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notenoughtanks View Post
Only 2 part. I was sparingly using acro power but haven't seen any negative effects since I stopped.

I do weekly 5g water changes with half Red Sea blue bucket and half Coralife. Red Sea is expensive and Coralife is cheap. Red Sea is a bit low on some params and Coralife is a bit high so it works out perfect.

Lighting is 6x24 sunpower. 3 Coral Plus 3 Blue Plus. 12 hours on 1x each and 8 on the other 4 bulbs.

I keep Cal at 450, Alk at 7.3 dKh, mag at 1350ish. I never can get any phosphate to show up on Hanna or salifert, but I also do not have the ultra low Hanna.

I feed NLS small pellets about 2 small pinches a day out of an ehiem auto feeder and 1/2 cube of rods food in the evening.

Hope that helps!
Thanks, it definitely does!

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2017, 06:06 PM   #18
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

Really been trying to dial in my RO filter changes. I have been comparing what carbon config holds up best to Chloramines.

Tested today after first carbon 0.68mg/l and 0 after the second which I can maintain as long as I'm on the ball with replacement of the first.

I have found the first one gives bleed through in under 2 months with catalytic carbon, I believe a bit more with the BRS universal carbon block and suspect based on memory the Pentek Chlorplus to give the best longevity. I need to confirm with more frequent testing that.

Really an eye opener to what causes premature failure of membranes and DI and mystery issues with corals.

Note: this is with regular replacement of 1 micron sediment filter and 75psi input to unit, so pretty ideal conditions.

Unread 08/26/2017, 06:38 AM   #19
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

Update: everything plugging along nicely. I added a co2 scrubber a few days ago for fun to see results. Observing .2-.3 increase in pH throughout the day. 8.2 at night and 8.3-8.4 during the day.

Unread 08/26/2017, 07:09 AM   #20
reefmutt
Registered Member

Looking great!
Love that pink lemonade

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 08/29/2018, 02:56 PM   #21
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

A few updates here.

Got rid of the purple stylo and blue tenuis as they were about to hit the glass and water surface. Kept frags of course.

Colors have gotten a bit pale. Haven’t changed lighting, feeding, water change method/frequency so I’m not sure why. I continue to incrementally swap out small portions of the sand bed, 5 g weekly water changes etc. obviously corals growing and I keep up on maintaining all parameters I can test for (Ca,Alk,mag,N03,P04,potassium). Red Goniopora wasted away and my 1 favia has not grown a bit which I’d guess are related. Nitrates around 7-10ppm and I get a bit of turf algae do it’s not like it’s a lack of nutrients. I tried Red Sea colors for about a month and observed no difference.

I recently (some time after stuff got pale) switched to just Red Sea Blue
Bucket salt bs the 50/50 mix with Coralife but I can’t see that as the culprit.

Now the fun part: UPGRADE

Being I was smart enough to build a stand that could accommodate a larger tank, what the heck! Corals and fish are growing and another leap in stability would be nice.

I have gotten a quote from Reef Savvy and Custom Aquariums for a rimless 36x24x18 with 1/2” glass.

Reef savvy was $1600 with external overflow, which is a REALLY nice feature or $1100 with ghost, and 2 return holds drilled. At nearly double the price and a 6 month wait I’m not sure I can justify it being I’ve seen Custom’s work and it’s great. But nice things are nice

Custom Aquariums is ~$600 with no overflow or holes drilled (I would still and install my Synergy Shadow)

Both come with black backs at those pric points. I’m not 100% ready to pull the trigger but close.

Oh, some pics.

Hawkins

Halloween? Millie from Flounder

RRC Pink Caddy and Walt Disney

UC SSC

Unread 08/29/2018, 03:58 PM   #22
plyle02
Registered Member

Nice setup, corals looking colorful and happy

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2018, 09:45 AM   #23
notenoughtanks
Registered Member

Back to Basics SPS 40B

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Nice setup, corals looking colorful and happy

Thank you!

Unread 08/31/2018, 04:51 AM   #24
Jay Ellul
Registered Member

love the large colorful colonies!

Unread 09/02/2018, 12:43 PM   #25
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notenoughtanks View Post
A few updates here.

Got rid of the purple stylo and blue tenuis as they were about to hit the glass and water surface. Kept frags of course.

Colors have gotten a bit pale. Haven’t changed lighting, feeding, water change method/frequency so I’m not sure why. I continue to incrementally swap out small portions of the sand bed, 5 g weekly water changes etc. obviously corals growing and I keep up on maintaining all parameters I can test for (Ca,Alk,mag,N03,P04,potassium). Red Goniopora wasted away and my 1 favia has not grown a bit which I’d guess are related. Nitrates around 7-10ppm and I get a bit of turf algae do it’s not like it’s a lack of nutrients. I tried Red Sea colors for about a month and observed no difference.

I recently (some time after stuff got pale) switched to just Red Sea Blue
Bucket salt bs the 50/50 mix with Coralife but I can’t see that as the culprit.

Now the fun part: UPGRADE

Being I was smart enough to build a stand that could accommodate a larger tank, what the heck! Corals and fish are growing and another leap in stability would be nice.

I have gotten a quote from Reef Savvy and Custom Aquariums for a rimless 36x24x18 with 1/2” glass.

Reef savvy was $1600 with external overflow, which is a REALLY nice feature or $1100 with ghost, and 2 return holds drilled. At nearly double the price and a 6 month wait I’m not sure I can justify it being I’ve seen Custom’s work and it’s great. But nice things are nice

Custom Aquariums is ~$600 with no overflow or holes drilled (I would still and install my Synergy Shadow)

Both come with black backs at those pric points. I’m not 100% ready to pull the trigger but close.

Oh, some pics.

Hawkins

Halloween? Millie from Flounder

RRC Pink Caddy and Walt Disney

UC SSC

Nice!! Love the Hawkins and I really like the spaced out large colonies. Really allows you to appreciate the growth patterns.