Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2018, 01:39 PM   #1
zachtos
Registered Member

Post ICP testing with Ca Reactor and no Waterchanges possible?

10+ years ago we knew water changes were needed because of all the parameters that we could not test for that build up or deplete in a closed loop... Now we have ICP testing where we can see exactly what is happening.

So, I found Triton Core7 and ATI essentials to be very costly for a full 300G SPS reef ($70-$100/mo from data I've found). Not to mention, I already have a great Ca Reactor with a masterflex pump to help keep Alk steady.

My question:
Is it possible to do 0 water changes in a large SPS tank, while using a CaReactor to maintain Ca/Alk?
-- what OTHER methods can I use for bumping trace elements up/down?

*Note: I already spend about $30/mo on water changes (+around $15/mo on wasted water and resin), round to about $500/year water changes.

** So, if I did a ICP test 4x / year @$45 ati lab, I could still spend about $300/year on supplements and be equal...

***but $70-$100/mo for chemicals plus $600 for dosers etc, when I already have great Ca/Alk control, just seems silly...

Can you just get a balanced trace element without the Ca/Alk/Mag?
or am I forever going to need tons of tests and little dropper bottles of vandium, lithium, plutonium etc?

Current Tank Info: 300G reef under construction
zachtos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2018, 04:53 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I have not heard of long term success with this system.
I would keep doing water changes.

Unread 09/12/2018, 08:20 AM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

FWIW.. A calcium reactor does more than just maintain calcium, Alk and mg.. If you are using media like reborn that is essentially coral skeletons, you are also getting trace elements into your system since you are dissolving everything the corals used to build their skeletons. Some reborn with remag will go a long way in reducing the need for supplementation. That said, the water changes help reduce nutrients so the need for water changes will likely depend largely on your system and fish load.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 10:03 AM   #4
zachtos
Registered Member

I think I've narrowed from the following Options:
-$500/yr = Water changes 10% / week (with waste water cost/resin etc)
-$600/yr = CaRx w/ ATI elements ($200 allowance) and bi-monthly ICP
-$1200/yr = ATI essentials and bi-monthly ICP + $600 setup for dosers

Bought a masterflex pump for my CaRx to help control Alk and remote control it via Apex with 0-10V signal. Then dose trace elements weekly as needed based on ATI ICP tests. I think this is the same as doing a water change just to replace missing trace elements. Mag I usually just dose all at once with no isse in past, but can try mag pellets in reactor again. This seems to be best bang for buck without throwing away a nice working reactor system. I really want to stop doing water changes every week, I'm tired of it, and never feel rewarded for dumping low nutrient water down the drain, feels so wasteful.

Unread 09/15/2018, 01:02 PM   #5
csb123
Registered Member

I’m doing a modified Triton system with a CaRx. It is going great. I’m using reborn media with a little Zeomag in it. I end up dosing barium, boron, potassium, vanadium, molybdenum, manganese, iodine, and iron. All of the supplements are DIY and cheap. Search the reef chemistry forum (clay-boa)for sources and recipes. The tank has never looked better.

csb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 10:34 AM   #6
zachtos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb123 View Post
I’m doing a modified Triton system with a CaRx. It is going great. I’m using reborn media with a little Zeomag in it. I end up dosing barium, boron, potassium, vanadium, molybdenum, manganese, iodine, and iron. All of the supplements are DIY and cheap. Search the reef chemistry forum (clay-boa)for sources and recipes. The tank has never looked better.
I like how the other popular reef forum is censored like a dirty word in posts.

I would love a link to where you get the DIY recipes, I asked over there and got no real replies. I imagine the hard part is to figure out the potency to dose where ATI elements just tells you... plus I'm not sure how much I'm going to use yet, to see if it's worth it. I imagine a few of those elements will drain fast, and those would be the ones to attempt DIY if pure ingredients.

Unread 09/17/2018, 10:45 AM   #7
csb123
Registered Member

Search for “post your DIY additives here” thread that I made in R2*. This forum censors it.

Last edited by csb123; 09/17/2018 at 10:52 AM.
csb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2019, 11:15 AM   #8
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

old thread alert!

Twenty years and 1,040 water changes ago I would have never posted this:
*After running over a year and a half with no water changes and relying on ICP testing done every two months*
I now believe ICP testing/no water change methods can actually be superior to simply doing water changes.
Water changes alone (without ICP testing) basically leaves you "blind" as to what is going on with water in your reef aquarium.
I started a thread on RC regarding this but pix aren't up to date because photobucket is jerking everybody around.
Technology changes. Times change. Those that don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Zach- I'd be interested in hearing of your progress.

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ati essentials, icp testing, no water changes, trace elements, triton method