Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/28/2020, 10:23 AM   #1451
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I have no plans to move on to v3. That's just some 'some day maybe' thoughts. But yes, I do think of next tank ideas all the time! However, I do allow my mind to stop quite frequently…

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2020, 08:35 PM   #1452
ThePurple12
Registered Member

If you don't try it, I might! I just bought a 20 long tank to culture mysis shrimp, but if that doesn't work out I might start a natural sunlight seagrass + some kind of Pocilloporid tank.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2020, 08:41 PM   #1453
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sounds good. Mysids live in the grasses, so you could do both.

Unread 07/29/2020, 06:24 AM   #1454
ThePurple12
Registered Member

That is a great idea. Wouldn’t work if I added fish though.

Unread 07/30/2020, 04:05 PM   #1455
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
If you don't try it, I might! I just bought a 20 long tank to culture mysis shrimp, but if that doesn't work out I might start a natural sunlight seagrass + some kind of Pocilloporid tank.
Let me know how culturing the shrimp go. I always wanted to try it but they cannibalize their young and a solution for that is what always hung me up. I figured I needed some sort of screen that was fine enough to keep the adults from falling through and the larvae shrimp would fall through. Somehow it just seemed like too much work.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2020, 04:09 PM   #1456
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Sounds good. Mysids live in the grasses, so you could do both.
I have grass/ghost shrimp living in the 30 gallon fuge that is connected to the reef. Samson was too lazy to catch them so I am kind of hoping that they breed some and the feather caulerpa is thick enough that not all the larvae shrimp get eaten by their parents. Hopefully some find their way into the reef to feed the fish.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 07/30/2020, 04:41 PM   #1457
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
Let me know how culturing the shrimp go. I always wanted to try it but they cannibalize their young and a solution for that is what always hung me up. I figured I needed some sort of screen that was fine enough to keep the adults from falling through and the larvae shrimp would fall through. Somehow it just seemed like too much work.
Sure! The shrimp are arriving Saturday. For the screen, I got one from Lowes that was about 1000 microns for like $10.

Unread 07/30/2020, 05:06 PM   #1458
neilp2006
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
Sure! The shrimp are arriving Saturday. For the screen, I got one from Lowes that was about 1000 microns for like $10.

Do you have a link to the 1000 micron screen? I’d like to try something similar at some point.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2020, 05:44 PM   #1459
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilp2006 View Post
Do you have a link to the 1000 micron screen? I’d like to try something similar at some point.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here it is
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Saint-Gobai...Mesh/999908963

It doesn't say 1000 microns anywhere, but similar ones for small insects do, and looks to be small enough. I'll have to measure it.

Unread 07/31/2020, 09:33 AM   #1460
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

This sounds like an exciting project! I would be very interested to follow your progress. How would the screen be incorporated? Substrate? Plants?

I had thought about adding mysids to my tank, but I missed my window. With six hungry damsels, it seems unlikely they could maintain a sustainable population, though I think they would thrive in my tank without predation.

Unread 07/31/2020, 11:57 AM   #1461
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I'm gonna silicone the screen in. I would like to add some plants and live rock, but I'm worried that they'll stop some of the juveniles from being swept through the screen to the other side. I probably will add some sand for bio filtration. The shrimp are coming tomorrow and the tank still doesn't have water! I'll have to add a cycled sponge to the tank.

Unread 08/02/2020, 04:06 PM   #1462
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

A little update. The plants are really growing in. Most of the back wall has coverage and I'm getting some overhang near the top.

Seagrasses are also filling in. It's thick! Can you see the black mollie, following the white one?

From the end you can see how the back wall tilts out with caulerpa.

Papillon admiring the strings of pearls, red grapes and some golden sargassum.

As everything grows in, the tank gets smaller!

Cool new (old) plant! See the red "Y"? Pretty sure its a remnant of the red freebie I got a couple years ago. It's kinda like Grasilaria hayi, but grows in a more fan shape. Also note the halimeda, just below.

Unread 08/03/2020, 11:52 AM   #1463
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Nice, is the manatee the only seagrass species in there?

Unread 08/03/2020, 01:43 PM   #1464
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

No, I have shoal grass as well.

Unread 08/03/2020, 05:17 PM   #1465
vlangel
Registered Member

Wow, what an explosion of growth! I love it Michael!

Unread 08/03/2020, 05:47 PM   #1466
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn! Yeah, it's funny, no mater how little I do, the plants keep growing. I'm starting to see some indications that nutrients are running low, with some caulerpa going clear. But for now, I think it's helping to get rid of the remaining uglies.

I have a new plant on the way - Halimenia floresia, also referred to as Dragon's Tongue. It almost looks like a red Ulva. I've tried this plant before without success. But it is one that I've wanted for a long time, so I'm trying again. I figured since I got a refund from the vender that could not deliver, I'd order from a vender I know and trust: live-plants.com. If I am successful with this one, it could grow into a large, impressive plant. I'm hopeful!

Unread 08/06/2020, 04:34 PM   #1467
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The splash of red patch reef has a touch more red today. My new plant Halimenia floresia is behind the mangrove. It's even more amorphous and ulva-like than I expected.

This doesn't really do it justice but it shows it in the overall context of the tank.

A better view from the end.

Unread 08/08/2020, 08:55 AM   #1468
vlangel
Registered Member

It's a beautiful addition to your ecosystem and I really like it. I had wonderful luck with it years ago for quite some time and then for some reason it just suddenly faded away and was gone. I have never really tried it again but maybe I will because it is an especially beautiful red macro algae.

Unread 08/08/2020, 11:59 AM   #1469
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn! It's one of my favorites. I'd love to have good luck with it. Can you recall the conditions you provided for yours? Light, nutrient levels, current?

In prior experience with this plant I felt like I was in a race against time. I needed to get it adjusted as quickly as possible, so it could grow faster than the snails consumed it. I appear to be in a similar situation now. What can I do differently that will make the difference?

I could divide it up and plant it in different locations around the tank. I like this except for the 'shorter fuse' factor. Smaller plants die quicker than bigger ones. Hmm. Maybe just 2 or 3.

I dosed ammonia and iron, to bolster nutrient levels. Maybe I'll resume CO2 as well. I want my new plant to have everything it needs. Right now it's in medium light. With three plant cuttings I could put one in brighter and one in dimmer light.

Ideas anyone?

Unread 08/09/2020, 08:46 PM   #1470
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I tried some of that macroalgae a while ago. I always thought it was just a red form of Ulva until I saw your post. It died off, mainly due to the yellow tang I had. I got rid of the tang because it was eating my seagrass. It would be cool to have some again, I'll have to get some the next time I order macroalgae.

Putting 3 pieces in 2-3 different light levels sounds like a good plan.

Last edited by ThePurple12; 08/10/2020 at 04:50 PM.
Unread 08/23/2020, 02:42 PM   #1471
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Well the new Halimeda is down to a few fragments. It never showed growth. If it vanishes, the only hope is that it could pop up later, when conditions suit it better. It's happened more than once.

I have two new little bushes of blue hypnea, that grew from the wall. I stuck 'em in the grass bed. I kinda like the blue.

Otherwise, I'm cruisin' with low effort these daze.

Unread 08/24/2020, 08:53 AM   #1472
ThePurple12
Registered Member

It's weird how macroalgae just appear every now and then. I've never had fern caulerpa in my tank, but somehow I have it now. With my sargassum, I put a little piece in the tank. It died, but a few days later little sargassum leaves started popping up everywhere.

Unread 08/24/2020, 09:20 AM   #1473
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks ThePurple12. It is weird!

I don't understand the how or why, but I'll take it! There seems to be a window of adjustment for new plants. If you're lucky, conditions will suit them, and the plant begins to grow again. If not, the plant gradually disappears. But it doesn't completely disappear. Something remains, and if you're lucky, it will grow back. One of the best things about this phenomenon is that the new plant grows from a solid, natural attachment point. The downside is you don't get to pick where it pops up.

Unread 08/24/2020, 10:33 AM   #1474
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Yup. And that’s the beauty of superglue!

Unread 08/25/2020, 06:24 PM   #1475
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I have never had luck with superglue, or rubber bands or fishing filament. The only thing that's ever worked is to put a rock on top of the plant, or the plant between two rocks. The glue holds but the plant breaks off just above the glued part.

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass