Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2005, 08:14 PM   #51
tboned
Registered Member

here is a link to the flow rates I used when helping a friend with his pond and fountian

Flow Rates

tboned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2005, 08:53 PM   #52
Inflames
Registered Member

Keep in mind thats for "flexible pvc".

Inflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2005, 10:14 PM   #53
Steel_Phoenix
Registered Member

I like that design a lot. Much more practical than my first attempt. I ended up taking mine apart because it was too loud. How loud is this one?

Steel_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2005, 10:15 PM   #54
werew
Registered Member

Question

Tboned,
Great thread, thanks!

Hey Aquawayne,
What size PVC would you use to get 400-500gph... what kind of setup? Setup meaning dual overflow intake pipes to one main or a single?

I like the dual overflow pipes for the following reasons:
1. Extra mounting stability (for those with curious affectionate cats that just HAVE to rub up against anything and everything).
2. Placement of intake pipes on left and right of the tank could help rid dead spots in your tank.
3. If one gets clogged, you still have the other.
4. It just looks cool... It looks more technical and complex than a single by far.

Another question:
How hard is it to get both intakes running? At the "cross" section, I thought by starting one side at a time, it might lose suction/siphon if the other side isn't pulling water too?

werew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2005, 06:15 AM   #55
Aquayne_wv
Registered Member

I have made a couple of duals, they looked like rams horms. The problem is that the two sharing the same exit compete and can back up. I make one for my father using 3/4" so that there were overflows in each corner. It would overflow out of the top of the middle stand pipe. I think it was trapped bubbles. The problems were, 1. too small central exit pipe 2. too short units in general, if they are too short the siphon that forms is too week to keep the overflow going. Make these as ling as you can. The inside unit must be same length as outside length.

For 400 gal rate I would make one out of 1 1/4 pipe. The great thing about these is they are cheap.

BTW dont cut teeth in the stand pipe. Just get a piece of gutter guard and secure it around the pipe with a rubberband. eventually the material will take on the shape wihout the band.

I taped this project and put it on dvd with 4 more if interrested email. DEMOVID@hotmail.com

Unread 01/15/2005, 04:16 PM   #56
Rockker
Registered Member

This thing works GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS tboned!!!!

Let it flow, let it flow, let it flow.

Rockker

Rockker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2005, 07:07 PM   #57
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

out of curiosity is the P/G elbow higher or lower than the input A pipe? From the picture it looks as if the bottom is lower, yet the top is higher, is this essential?

Unread 01/15/2005, 07:38 PM   #58
tboned
Registered Member

mine where about the same but P & Q need to be lower

Unread 01/15/2005, 07:39 PM   #59
tboned
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockker
This thing works GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS tboned!!!!

Let it flow, let it flow, let it flow.

Rockker
Not a problem

glad I could see your pretty tank

Unread 01/15/2005, 10:01 PM   #60
swissfish
Registered Member

great idea

watch out those pretzels are dangerous, one of them tried to sufficate our president

swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2005, 10:18 PM   #61
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tboned
mine where about the same but P & Q need to be lower
P&Q need to be lower than the input A?

Unread 01/15/2005, 11:26 PM   #62
moeandicy
Registered Member

check valve

Where do you get the check valves?

moeandicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2005, 11:36 PM   #63
tboned
Registered Member

walmart pet section

Unread 01/16/2005, 10:04 AM   #64
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Yah basically you can get those little plastic dohickies that connect two pieces of airtubing, and drill into the pvc and glue those in.

Unread 01/16/2005, 10:29 AM   #65
Freed
It's what it's

I don't think anyone said yet if the siphon starts itself back up after a power failure? Anyone tried this yet?

Will this work with an acrylic tank? I only see glass tanks in the pics. I have a 180 gallon and am considering doing this if it will work on an acrylic tank.

How do you screen fish, etc. from getting sucked down? Do you use a bulkhead strainer in the end of the inner tank pipe?

How do you start the siphon?

Any insight to my above Q's would be great. Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 180gal(1120 watts of MH/VHO light), 60gal "sump", Deltec 601 calcium reactor, Euro Reef CS8-3+ skimmer, 20 gallon QT
Freed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2005, 10:31 AM   #66
Freed
It's what it's

What are the check valves for and are they the blue things sticking out the tops of the corners?

Current Tank Info: 180gal(1120 watts of MH/VHO light), 60gal "sump", Deltec 601 calcium reactor, Euro Reef CS8-3+ skimmer, 20 gallon QT
Unread 01/16/2005, 11:03 AM   #67
Rockker
Registered Member

Here it is working.

In the event of a power outage, the siphon starts right back up. "Tested this last night"

The blue things on top are how you start your siphon and how to make sure it is still flowing "I think"

I think I will take mine out in a couple of weeks and paint them if I can find a good black paint that is reef safe.

I gotta tell ya, it's working great...

I have an Eheim 1260 hooked up as a return and I have it backed off just a hair to keep a steady balance at 4 ft. with 3/4 return line.

Hope this helps
Rockker

Unread 01/16/2005, 11:10 AM   #68
Inflames
Registered Member

Um...is it me or does an overflow box look a lot cleaner than 20lbs of pvc in your tank?

Inflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2005, 11:14 AM   #69
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Here's a thought instead of painting them, get some pvc elbows, grind down one end so you can glue them to the outside of your plumbing, and use those as planter boxes for some corals, specifically those that cling to surfaces rather quickly, buttonpolyps, gsp, xenia, anthelia, mushrooms. The elbows (which aren't in any way plumbed into the system btw, they're just glued on, will hold corals as they start out (saves you from having to rubberband them to the pipe directly), and eventually they'll grow out and cover the whole thing (granted you do need to wait, but looking at that picture it looks like the pvc is lighted quite nicely so you should get fairly good growth).

There's a picture here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=504963 of a return pipe covered in zoos (and algae), but it does look a lot more natural than a piece of black pipe

Unread 01/16/2005, 11:40 AM   #70
Rockker
Registered Member

sfsuphysics

What a great idea...

I was wrong about my return line, it's 5/8 not 3/4.

Gives a person more room for growth.

My next project!!!!!!!

Inflames, I'm pretty new at this stuff "5 months" and this is as about "newbie proof" as you can get.

Thanks
Rockker

Unread 01/16/2005, 01:03 PM   #71
sjm817
On Yer left!

I agree that it is too much white PVC in the tank. You could use black PVC or paint it with purple PVC primer for a faux coraline algae look.

sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2005, 01:08 PM   #72
Freed
It's what it's

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed

Will this work with an acrylic tank? I only see glass tanks in the pics. I have a 180 gallon and am considering doing this if it will work on an acrylic tank.

How do you screen fish, etc. from getting sucked down? Do you use a bulkhead strainer in the end of the inner tank pipe?

Any insight to my above Q's would be great. Thanks.
Also, is any of it glued together or is it just snug fit so you can twist and shape it to the way you need it to fit in the tank? Thanks.

Unread 01/16/2005, 01:52 PM   #73
ONAGI
Registered Member

is it safe to use the purple primer as a paint inside the water column? I think that's a good idea but would be nervous about the possibility of it contaminating the water quality in some way.

ONAGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2005, 01:59 PM   #74
sjm817
On Yer left!

Quote:
Originally posted by ONAGI
is it safe to use the purple primer as a paint inside the water column? I think that's a good idea but would be nervous about the possibility of it contaminating the water quality in some way.
Its been done many times. Just let it dry. AFAIK, PVC primer and cement are non toxic once dry. Its it used on CPVC for drinking water pipes. I would look at the can to see if it states if it is non toxic and safe for potable water. Whenever I do anything with PVC in the tank, I use black PVC, Blends in well with a black background.

Last edited by sjm817; 01/16/2005 at 02:09 PM.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2005, 03:10 PM   #75
Aquayne_wv
Registered Member

Talking Paint don't prime.

Why is the idea of using primer so popular on this site?

You can paint pvc any color you want. I prefer black it is hard to see in the tank.

Break the gloss of the pipe with primer then spray paint it with Vinyl spray paint. You find it in the auto parts section. It is for changing vinyl tops and convertible tops. When it dries it is nontoxic. I have had coraline algae and inverts grow on it with to ill effects. The secret is to let it cure for about a week before putting it in the water.

"Fusion" works well too. I made a sponge filter and colored the pvc with this. I have had no ill effects. MY shrimp,snails and hermit crabs crawl all over it.

aquayne
Wayne Johnson