Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/13/2019, 08:44 AM   #1
HarlequinTusk
Registered Member

Algae question

I'm just getting back into the hobby and I'm trying to understand algae better before I add water to my new tank. I'm going to start this up as a fish only tank with reef safe fish. In the near future (year or two), I'm going to add the necessary equipment to make this a reef tank (add LED's to hybrid light fixture, add more flow in tank, add two part dosing, etc).

I understand that coralline algae is beneficial (and visually appealing) in the tank. I also know that high powered Kessel LED "should" grow Chaeto so efficiently that it'll outcompete algae attempting to grow in display tank.

My concern is that I would think that this would make it very hard time growing coralline algae in the main tank? Should I not even worry about coralline algae until I convert to reef tank?

Equipment List (relevant to my question):
210 gal tank (72" L x 24" D x 29" H)
Aquatic Life LED-T5 Hybrid light (no LED's yet, will add in future)
40 gal sump (Trigger Systems Emerald 39)
Kessel H380 LED light to grow Chaeto in sump refugium section
Skimz Monzter SM252 skimmer
Reeflo Hammerhead/Barracuda return pump

Last edited by HarlequinTusk; 08/13/2019 at 08:51 AM.
HarlequinTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2019, 09:49 AM   #2
ali1
Registered Member

yes, I would not worry about coralline algae until the reef tank is 3yrs in.

Maturity first.

If you don't see traces of coralline then, you can seed the tank with a piece of LR that's encrusted

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2019, 06:25 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

Coralline algae seems to come in different strains that will grow differently under the same lighting. I'd wait until the lighting was in place to worry about coralline growth. You might need to seed the tank with some appropriate samples, but most often, coralline takes off on its own.