Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2011, 10:54 AM   #76
Dre59
Z&P Addict from IL

Will their be an app?

Tank info: Mr Aqua Cube 18x18x18 and 15gal sump..

Current Tank Info: It's to small
Dre59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 11:12 AM   #77
Texsun
Registered Member

Tim, for a 30" long tank, can one Radion handle if hung at 10" or slightly higher and lengthwise?

Eat them up, yum!

Current Tank Info: Dipping my toes back with an Elos Mini...
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 11:59 AM   #78
ganjero
saiperchémibatteilcorazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
Ecotech reps claimed that there is no difference in humidity from the top of the fixture and the bottom.

I would like to know how salt or water is going to get to that USB port if it is 8" or more away? A fish might splash every once in a while but I wouldn't worry about it. I am also pretty sure you can go buy a USB cover that will cover it nicely.
It will happen in big tanks. I’m just pointing out tha the usb is not in the best location (plus is uncovered), if you are paying that much money everything should be designed carefully. Even if a USB cover cost 0.99, they should include it. IMO that connector should have been placed somewhere else and with a little cover that can be tightly closed. BTW salt will not evaporate but small particles will be present in the air (Just like dust, pollen, etc) that’s how the fans will suck it in and that’s how it also can get in the USB port. Splashing will also happen which will bring salt in through the fans.

ganjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 12:01 PM   #79
ganjero

Nevermind (offtopic)

Last edited by ganjero; 09/13/2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Offtopic
Unread 09/13/2011, 12:08 PM   #80
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjero View Post
It will happen in big tanks. I’m just pointing out tha the usb is not in the best location (plus is uncovered), if you are paying that much money everything should be designed carefully. Even if a USB cover cost 0.99, they should include it. IMO that connector should have been placed somewhere else and with a little cover that can be tightly closed. BTW salt will not evaporate but small particles will be present in the air (Just like dust, pollen, etc) that’s how the fans will suck it in and that’s how it also can get in the USB port. Splashing will also happen which will bring salt in through the fans.
Ganjero-

The units shown at MACNA were pre-production and lacked the USB dust cover which will come with production units.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

If the above information doesn't help you, please contact us at 1-800-785-0338 ext. 2 or by e-mailing [email]support@ecotech
EcoTech Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 12:10 PM   #81
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
This is a statment without foundations. How would you know his pumps are too high? Maybe is a shallow tank, maybe that's where they need to be because of the rock work or the sand bed, etc, etc, etc.
I have to ask, why are you so determined to discredit the features of the Radion? If you'd like me to answer questions that you have about the Radion, please ask and I'd be happy to do so. Otherwise please realize that this is a vendor area and considering that the Radion is not available for sale, any accusations you have about its future performance are also statements without foundation.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

If the above information doesn't help you, please contact us at 1-800-785-0338 ext. 2 or by e-mailing [email]support@ecotech
Unread 09/13/2011, 12:13 PM   #82
ganjero

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTech Marine View Post
I have to ask, why are you so determined to discredit the features of the Radion? If you'd like me to answer questions that you have about the Radion, please ask and I'd be happy to do so. Otherwise please realize that this is a vendor area and considering that the Radion is not available for sale, any accusations you have about its future performance are also statements without foundation.

Sorry that last posts was offtopic and I should've not posted it. I love your pumps, and will probably at some point get the lights (depending on how they perform). I just noticed the usb port and pointed that out, and the fans I do not like where they are located. BTW I have not made any accusations about the light performance, everything that I said has to do with corrosion.

What material are the fans made of? Do you have pictures of the inside of the fixture? Just curious to see what are you guys doing to prevent corrosion in there to.

Last edited by ganjero; 09/13/2011 at 12:20 PM.
Unread 09/13/2011, 12:19 PM   #83
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Sorry that last posts was offtopic and I should've not posted it. I love your pumps, and will probably at some point get the lights (depending on how they perform). I just noticed the usb port and pointed that out, and the fans I do not like where they are located.
No problem!

I can understand one's concern with the fans being on the bottom but we have tested this and there are no issues that were not also present with a fan on the top. Occasional splashing is actually not that big of an issue to a fan. The hardest condition for any fan is when the operating environment is sealed, such as within a canopy. When the fans are open to the room's air there is very little issue. Also, the channel that the fan blows into is completely separate from the electronics portion and we've inspected Radion fans run in extreme environments and have never seen salt within the electronics chamber.

Our fan can be kept in good health through basic maintenance of blowing the dust out every month or so and wiping down any salt that may get on it, plus it is replaceable and economically so. Lastly it is a very high quality NMB fan.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

Unread 09/13/2011, 12:28 PM   #84
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Sent from Wesley's Moto Atrix 4G using Tapatalk

wesleyforbes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 12:35 PM   #85
ganjero

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoTech Marine View Post
No problem!

I can understand one's concern with the fans being on the bottom but we have tested this and there are no issues that were not also present with a fan on the top. Occasional splashing is actually not that big of an issue to a fan. The hardest condition for any fan is when the operating environment is sealed, such as within a canopy. When the fans are open to the room's air there is very little issue. Also, the channel that the fan blows into is completely separate from the electronics portion and we've inspected Radion fans run in extreme environments and have never seen salt within the electronics chamber.

Our fan can be kept in good health through basic maintenance of blowing the dust out every month or so and wiping down any salt that may get on it, plus it is replaceable and economically so. Lastly it is a very high quality NMB fan.

Thanks, that's good information regarding the fans.

Unread 09/13/2011, 12:36 PM   #86
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

I have a question in regards to the added red and green led's. How do you respond to what others have said about those being harmful to corals and that they are useless. Keep in mind that I have already pre-ordered two units, but need to hear straight from you I guess for peace of mind.

Also, I understand that they will not be out until next month, but can we download the manual from your site before then. I'd like to read up on it before I get it so that I am ready once they get here. ;-)

Unread 09/13/2011, 12:37 PM   #87
Chooch1
Registered Member

Tim,

Thanks for the reply. You mentioned that I might consider adding a fourth Radion unit over my 72" x 24" x24" tank. I thought that each Radion unit was good for a 24" x 24" area. Can you elaborate? Thanks.

Chooch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 12:59 PM   #88
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyforbes2 View Post
I have a question in regards to the added red and green led's. How do you respond to what others have said about those being harmful to corals and that they are useless. Keep in mind that I have already pre-ordered two units, but need to hear straight from you I guess for peace of mind.

Also, I understand that they will not be out until next month, but can we download the manual from your site before then. I'd like to read up on it before I get it so that I am ready once they get here. ;-)

To say that red and green are useless wavelengths to include is not accurate. To say that the amount of red we've added to the Radion is dangerous is wrong. Check out the spectral plots of an Ushio and Radium bulb (attached), two of the most popular MH's on the market. You will see plenty of red and green in those spectra and its because of this red and green that your corals color up the way they do. Also note that the bulbs presented are 400w bulbs run on the most expensive ballasts. The Radion is really close to these two lamps! Especially the Ushio. We are proud of what we've accomplished and the results that we'll all see over time will make our customers proud too.

The spectrum below was provided by Sanjay Joshi and presented during his speech last weekend at MACNA in Des Moines.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radion vs. Radium and Ushio 400.jpg (33.4 KB, 215 views)

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

Unread 09/13/2011, 01:02 PM   #89
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch1 View Post
Tim,

Thanks for the reply. You mentioned that I might consider adding a fourth Radion unit over my 72" x 24" x24" tank. I thought that each Radion unit was good for a 24" x 24" area. Can you elaborate? Thanks.
Good for 24x24 or every 40gal. There is no hard-set rule for how many units to use over a tank just yet, but four units would be recommended based on my experience for this size tank. The more customers receive the lights the more accurately we'll be able to make recommendations based on experience. We'd definitely prefer to be conservative in our claims and ensure that your tank has enough light, especially initially.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

Unread 09/13/2011, 01:18 PM   #90
reefsurfing
Registered Member

Great Job, finally a company that has addressed the end users concerns (Spectrum/Looks) and done it very tastefully. I was really perplexed however to see the older LED technology and no XM'L's, After reading the thread and seeing most of my concerns answered I will be pre ordering two. I would still like to know why XPE's/XPG's were chosen over XML's or a neutral white alternative?

reefsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 01:45 PM   #91
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Thanks for answering my question regarding the red and green led's. How about the manual? And looking forward to response on the type of led used for the light.

Unread 09/13/2011, 01:59 PM   #92
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefsurfing View Post
Great Job, finally a company that has addressed the end users concerns (Spectrum/Looks) and done it very tastefully. I was really perplexed however to see the older LED technology and no XM'L's, After reading the thread and seeing most of my concerns answered I will be pre ordering two. I would still like to know why XPE's/XPG's were chosen over XML's or a neutral white alternative?
XM-L is superior to XP-G on a lumen-per-watt basis, but is worse from a lumen-per-dollar standpoint. We packed a lot of features into the Radion and while it may have been more efficient had we used XM-L's, we were able to get similar number of lumens by using XP-G's run at 5w while keeping the price down.

Cool white still offers better PAR for a reef tank, with the spikes in the lower wavelength side of the spectrum. Adding red and green fills out the spectrum which cool white leaves empty while also offering precise control over these wavelengths.

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

Unread 09/13/2011, 02:01 PM   #93
EcoTech Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyforbes2 View Post
Thanks for answering my question regarding the red and green led's. How about the manual? And looking forward to response on the type of led used for the light.

We won't have the manual available until the product starts shipping. As for LED type, this is disclosed on our website: www.ecotechmarine.com

President
EcoTech Marine
www.ecotechmarine.com

Unread 09/13/2011, 02:35 PM   #94
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

My corals are coming from an ATI Powermodule, how would you suggest acclimating my corals to the Radion, maybe starting at 50% intensity if mounted 8" above the tank?

Unread 09/13/2011, 05:46 PM   #95
chercm
Registered Member

If I have a 4x2x2 ft tank how many units do I need ? When will iy be available in Singapore ?

chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 05:53 PM   #96
pmrossetti
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chercm View Post
if i have a 4x2x2 ft tank how many units do i need ? When will iy be available in singapore ?

pmrossetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 06:36 PM   #97
Bobbofin
Registered Member

I'm waiting for the manual and software to be avaiable for review and see one in person. I love Pacific Sun's software. I downloaded it for free and checked it out. We need a complete review of the Radion fixture, the manual and the software. I'm holding off until spring. Now that summer's over I can run my mh/t5 set up for another six months and not have to worry about the killer a/c bills. I don't feel like being a guinea pig, I'm waiting, watching and reading.

Bobbofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 06:54 PM   #98
SkullV
They Got My Number

Tim et. al,

What kind of reliability/heat/spectrum shift testing have you done with running the XP-G at 5w? I'm mostly sold, but the prospect of the diode not dealing with the heat long term (50k hours?) is the only think still keeping me on the fence.

Be cautious of those willing to share their "knowledge" but not their results.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2011, 07:12 PM   #99
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Reef builders has a video of the Radion at MACNA!

Unread 09/13/2011, 08:27 PM   #100
madweazl
Registered Member

I'm really interested in these lights but I fear my tank dimensions may be a poor match for this setup. I have a 26g flatback hex that measure 36" x 12" x 12". Any way to make this fixture feasible for my tanks dimensions?

madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote