Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2006, 12:56 AM   #1
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Check out this place!

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the stuff this store is selling! Just blew $280 there.

https://reefer.powweb.com/

Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 01:24 AM   #2
mnestroy
Registered Member

Blue Flame Paly $150.00 Per Polyp

Geeeez

mnestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 01:27 AM   #3
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Well, that was a bit odd but I didn't buy that one! LOL

Unread 12/31/2006, 10:58 AM   #4
badazztealcobra
Registered Member

Why do no local stores have anything crazy like some of those ??

If anyone sees anything they like at that place, maybe we could do a group order... I saw a few things I could buy, but if you hit over $175 the shipping is free.

Puffer, did you talk to them at all before ordering ?? Like do you know what kind of light those pictures were taken under ?? Im sure theyre going to look completely different when I get them home (i would assume) but it might be good to know for reference...

I was planning on going to the frag swap on the 20th, does anyone know if there will be any crazy colored stuff like these things there ??

badazztealcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 11:12 AM   #5
Pufferpunk
Moved On

I am actually trading my skimmer for some of that stuff. I did talk to him on the phone & with my order & skimmer I'm sending him, he sounds quite generous. Even taking some stuff out of his personal tank (that I couldn't afford). Hubby's concerned about my sending along the skimmer though, before I recieve the corals. What do you guys think? He needs it for his daughter's smaller tank.

Unread 12/31/2006, 11:13 AM   #6
Illuminati
Premium Member

Ohhhh Man. Puffer you are going to be one disapointed reefer......

The paly's I got from them are some of the worst looking I own.

Future nTOTM winner :)

Current Tank Info: Biocube 16 LED
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 11:14 AM   #7
Randy1
Registered Member

Looks like most of the good online vendors. I'll bookmark this one too.

Randy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 11:20 AM   #8
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Colindam, Did you contact them? The guy really sound genuine. Got pics of these?

Unread 12/31/2006, 11:22 AM   #9
Fuppets
Registered Member

The whole skimmer thing just doesn't sound right to me. Everything may be ok, but... I'm thinking that he has all this great looking livestock but can't afford a skimmer? Or better yet doesn't have a spare? Is there something special about your skimmer that he can't buy one of his own? Limited edition? I don't know, I'd be careful with that.

just my $0.02

Fuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 11:27 AM   #10
Illuminati
Premium Member

Didn't bother to contact them, one zoa frag never opened (stuff happens), both of my Paly frags arrived with that long stalk problem like they were starving for light and the Armor Of Gods are the most washed out and dull zoa I own.

Unread 12/31/2006, 11:36 AM   #11
badazztealcobra
Registered Member

What kind of light do you have them under Colinadam ?? Do you have any pictures so we can compare them to his on his site ?? Just curious why you wouldnt have contacted him about the issues to see if he might have worked with you on something on the zoa that never opened...

Thats the reason I was wondering what kind of light he was using to take his pictures... It'll definitely affect the way they look in my tank versus his online pictures.

I dont know if the guy cant "afford" a skimmer, it sounds to me that if he can get it for essentially ALOT cheaper by trading some frags, why wouldnt you do that ?!?!? It only makes sense to me.

Where is the guy out of Jeni ?? I assume hes not local... I dont think I would be too concerned.... Colinadam got his order, just isnt impressed with the colors... It sounds like a standup business.....

Unread 12/31/2006, 11:36 AM   #12
Illuminati
Premium Member

Didn't bother to contact them, one zoa frag never opened (stuff happens), both of my Paly frags arrived with that long stalk problem like they were starving for light and the Armor Of Gods are the most washed out and dull zoa I own.

Unread 12/31/2006, 12:08 PM   #13
Pufferpunk
Moved On

He's out in Utah, where there are no good shops. That's why he started the business. Why pay $100+ for a new skimmer, when he can frag something that can't even stay one day on the site, for a "free" skimmer? I'm getting the SmashMouth Micro for it (8-10 heads), BTW. I'd just spend the $$$ on corals anyway. As far as I'm concerned, I'm really making out here, cause after talking to him (& li nking him to that other selling site) he's being quite generous, giving me stuff out of his tank for free! He asked me about a pink yuma (which I happen to have) & I may frag it & send him a piece for nothing. I will certainly let you guys know when the corals arrive, how well they were shipped & when they settle in, I'll post pics.

Unread 12/31/2006, 12:13 PM   #14
Pufferpunk
Moved On

If anyone wantes to get in on the free shipping, I can add to my order till tomorrow.

Here's what I ordered:
1 x Pink Palace Chalice
2 x Flame Thrower Palythoas SALE
1 x NEW Melon Mania ECHINO LE
1 x The Warrior Acan RK LE
1 x Purple Splotched Merlettis
1 x Orange Crusher Acanthastrea Echinata
2 x El Diablo Palythoa LIMITED EDITION SALE
1 x PURPLE THRASHER

I think all those colors are to die for! I'm gonna need sunglasses to look at my tank! Also have to move all the low-light corals to my PC tank, to make room.

Unread 12/31/2006, 12:27 PM   #15
badazztealcobra
Registered Member

If we hear back from colinadam about his setup I may get in on that order.... I was liking a few things on his site, but dont want to spent that kind of money on it if I put it into my tank and it looks nothing like he pictured...

Unread 12/31/2006, 12:30 PM   #16
Fuppets
Registered Member

Yea I guess I see the good points. I just have a hard time tructing other people. I always think the worst. I'll have to work on that in the new year. Sorry for all the negitavity. Let us know how it turns out.

Fuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 12:38 PM   #17
badazztealcobra
Registered Member

I gotta stop looking at his site.... each time I go through it I find about 3 more things that I like.... Im surprised you kept it to $280 Jeni.

Unread 12/31/2006, 01:03 PM   #18
craftytony
OT Godfather

Re: Check out this place!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the stuff this store is selling! Just blew $280 there.

https://reefer.powweb.com/
SHILLER!!!!!!! :P

I can honestly say all the bad things that ever happened to me were directly attributed to drugs & alcohol. I mean I would never urinate at the Alamo at 9 o'clock in the morning dressed in a woman's evening dress sober. -Ozzy Osbourne

Current Tank Info: Selling my 210 setup
craftytony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 01:06 PM   #19
Illuminati
Premium Member

I have no idea how his LPS is so I'm not going to comment on that. I caught him when he had a Paly lovers sale, buy 1 polyp, get 1 free.

Here's a pic, the AOG's are in front, 2 polyps (third on the way).

When you look at the other zoa's I have next to them you can see my gripe.

Not bashing this guy, like I said I never told him I was unhappy. I actually came across a feedback thread in the vendor experiances forum here soon after getting this order and added my thoughts there. In that thread I wasn't the only one who was less than impressed.....

If you guys order I hope everything looks great. Maybe he can do some WYSISYG pics for you guys.

Unread 12/31/2006, 01:49 PM   #20
badazztealcobra
Registered Member

What kind of lighting are you running ?? Are you using stock lighting on your nanocube in those pics ??

Unread 12/31/2006, 01:55 PM   #21
Illuminati
Premium Member

No, these are in my prop tank, 108W PC's, I did just get a modded hood from nanotuners I'll soon have 108W over my nano.

Unread 12/31/2006, 02:14 PM   #22
Pufferpunk
Moved On

Are those pics recent? Cause they're still reaching for light. It may take a while for newly shipped corals to color up. How long have you had them? I have a chalice I got from Rod, that I've had for 3 months & it's just starting to show nice coloring now.

Unread 12/31/2006, 02:15 PM   #23
badazztealcobra
Registered Member

I just emailed the guy to see what kind of lighting he is using annd if he was cleaning up the pictures at all with a photoediting program....

Colinadam, what size is the prop tank and what temperature / bulb types are you running over it ?? I.E. one 10K, one actinic, etc.... Im just trying to get an idea on how this stuff might look in my tank.... I have 144w in my BC29 with 2 actinic, one 10K and one 50/50 that gives off half 10K and half 7100K....

Sorry for all of the questions, I just really dont want to spend that kind of money and have them look bad in my tank setup.

Unread 12/31/2006, 02:28 PM   #24
Naperville Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by badazztealcobra
Sorry for all of the questions, I just really dont want to spend that kind of money and have them look bad in my tank setup.
i highly doubt those corals look that good in his tank and would be shocked if they end up looking anything like the ones pictured on the site.

that is why i only buy corals from local reefers or a LFS.

Naperville Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 02:33 PM   #25
Illuminati
Premium Member

The pic was taken like 5 minutes before posting.

The tank is a 20 extra high (basically 2 10's stacked on top of eachother). Fixture has 1 10K and 2 Atinics.

Other feedback threads with color complaints-

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...ht=reefkingdom

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...ht=reefkingdom

I prefer to get my zoa's and paly's from either ultimatefrags.com or purecaptive.

He does have some great looking LPS, I was about to get a Blasto Welsi with the order as well but decided not to.

If you guys order I hope everything is great. Since you have some dialog with him puffer see if he can do some WYSIWYG pics.
Didn't mean to hijack.....