Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2020, 06:13 AM   #1
tom g
Registered Member

Eco tech battery back up

Eco tech battery back ups.
I was doing some well needed maint in my stand and decided to check my battery back up only to find out it did not power up mp10.
At first I thought I didnt have it plugged in but no .so I removed battery to go get a replacement .being a mechanic i decided i should try to charge this up i charged it with a trickle charger and it's up to 13.6 volts .anyone out here have exp can u get these batteries back to working status or am i wasting my time .dont really deal with these small types of batteries .I am assuming this has gone dead and do go dead cuz they are never used due to just waiting for a power outage .new practice will be put in place after I fig out if I need a new battery or can get this one working .I will monthly be pulling the power and letting the power head displace the voltage in the battery and re plug to charge up.the power set up to make one of these Is pretty simple. I will take some pics when I am home I will be making a few of these for my tanks ...anyone else out here with similar experiences
Cheers
Tom

tom g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2020, 07:41 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Seems to be quite normal to find those batteries dead in the Ecotech units after time..
The charger doesn't seem to be the best at all.. and many recommend using a 3rd party charger on the batteries to restore their life/keep them maintained..

At 13.6v you should be good to go.. Put it back in and see how it performs..

Unread 01/17/2020, 09:49 AM   #3
tom g
Registered Member

Battery

Yes seems so.gonna give her a try
I will prob wire in a connection for a small smart charger .if I need to replace battery I'll do so but I think it may come back
Not super priority for me as I have a generator.will deff be making one for my wifes office tank after seeing how simple this unit is...crazy that we spend money on something so simple..

Unread 01/17/2020, 10:36 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Good luck..
and
Yes it is a drop dead simple product..
You certainly won't find me spending money on that thing..

Unread 01/17/2020, 02:16 PM   #5
tom g
Registered Member

Battery

Absolutely!!

Unread 01/19/2020, 10:29 AM   #6
tom g
Registered Member

battery update

just a update .... i chkd battery after it came off the charger and its a no go very low voltage so its pooched off to get a new battery , so far sayal had one and they were 75.00 gonna see if i can source a lower price for now , anyone have anyplace to get them i am gonna chk on amazon ...

Unread 01/19/2020, 11:04 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Should be able to pick one up under $40 at Amazon

Unread 01/19/2020, 11:36 AM   #8
tom g
Registered Member

battery

yes I think a little higher here in Canada .amazon .com will not ship batteries across the border unless I do crossborder pick up . so limited on choices on amazon ,which sucks plus the dollar is at a bad time so im thinking around 55 to 75.00