Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2002, 12:36 AM   #76
Canadian Man
Registered Member

Victor.....Sorry i read the first page and answered my questions

Canadian Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2002, 01:02 AM   #77
dattack
Registered Member

I saw a couple of electronic ballasts for T12's at home depot. THey run 20 bucks for 2x96W. One is for HO 2x96W lamp. Do you think this can run VHO's brighter x2?

dattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2002, 01:15 AM   #78
Canadian Man
Registered Member

From what i have seen at my local HD i believe i have seen the same ballast and i think it was magnetic. I live in canada though, so it may be a diffrent one?

Unread 01/31/2002, 01:40 AM   #79
dattack
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Man
From what i have seen at my local HD i believe i have seen the same ballast and i think it was magnetic. I live in canada though, so it may be a diffrent one?
It's definitely electronic. Actually, one runs 2 x55 W PC. It's the advance REL 2P60.
One was actually this ballast. I was going to go with PC but those T8 bulbs are much cheaper and they can span the length of my tank. They have a bunch of these ballasts at my HD for $20 each.
http://inlandreef.com/Images/DIY/PCW...5%20Wiring.jpg

I wanted to run URI bulbs because the length of my tank is 6ft and I wanted a T12 that was six ft. Too much wiring involved with 4 ft lamp. I was thinking of adding 2 URI with these ballasts overdriven with 2x.

THe other one I am going to look for at the lighting store will be the REL 2S-110 that can run 2x96 W power compacts but it can also run 2x96 W T12. They are interchangeable.
http://inlandreef.com/Images/DIY/PCW...6%20Wiring.jpg

I might get one of these an overdrive a 4ft T8 instead of the PC.

Still deciding.

Unread 01/31/2002, 02:14 AM   #80
Sparky
Registered Member

I think I understand the cost part now.

Hardware for one bulb:

One ballast at my Home Depot $25.00
One pair of end caps $ 3.00 (where do you get these)
Wire nuts $ 2.00
Power cable $ 3.00 (where?)

Total for one bulb = $ 33.00 (Hardware only) BULBS EXTRA

$33.00 X 4 (number of bulbs I want) = $132.00

I found a 4 bulb VHO setup at Premium Aquatics that goes for $139.95 (no bulbs). Now this is just a few bucks more. Its the "LN" brand???

The thing I like about reefburnaby's idea is:

1. With one ballast for each light I can control each bulb (timers).
2. Replacement cost of bulbs
3. Scalability, meaning I can put up bulbs as I can afford it. I dont have to do it all at once.

Am I missing anything?

Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2002, 12:16 PM   #81
Canadian Man
Registered Member

Sparky
The end caps are from HD as well. They are standard flourescent fixture end caps. What you would see in a shop light configuration. Cheep and work very well.

I assume when you say power cable you mean the part of the setup that plugs into the wall? well if that's what you mean then they are also availiable at HD as well. prices range from 3 to 10 dollars. you buy them with out one end and they come with the end to plug into the wall attached allready. they are basically a 3 prong ext cord with one end cut off, but shorter. i go with the 8f ones

Unread 01/31/2002, 04:27 PM   #82
Sparky
Registered Member

Thats what I meant.

But shouldnt we use a waterproof endcap? Whole thing is no good if it aint safe.

And are we rigging in a switch on this anywhere? Or are we just unplugging it to turn it off?

Thanks

Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2002, 04:42 PM   #83
Canadian Man
Registered Member

Well i have had these end caps on my tank since beginning 7 months ago and my bulbs are about 3" from water. i dont see any problems cause i dont have water splashing up that high.
As well you can not to my knowledge get wp end caps for t8 bulbs, only t12.
I run my plugs (3prong) to heavy duty Air Cond timer. but i suppose you could just unplug and plug in but you should for your corals sake make this consistant

Unread 01/31/2002, 04:47 PM   #84
dattack
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Man
Well i have had these end caps on my tank since beginning 7 months ago and my bulbs are about 3" from water. i dont see any problems cause i dont have water splashing up that high.
As well you can not to my knowledge get wp end caps for t8 bulbs, only t12.
I run my plugs (3prong) to heavy duty Air Cond timer. but i suppose you could just unplug and plug in but you should for your corals sake make this consistant
Sure you can use T8 waterproofs. I was looking into getting some.

http://www.fishsupply.com/cgi-bin/co...?item_no=SLETI

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=3784

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=3887

Unread 01/31/2002, 04:55 PM   #85
Canadian Man
Registered Member

Cool
I did not know you could get those!
Very happy but i live in Canada so for me to buy 6 sets of end caps that would cost me.....hummmmmm,......about $135.00
So for me unless i could get them in canada i would not bother. cause it is dam expensive. but many thanks for the link

Unread 01/31/2002, 05:10 PM   #86
reefburnaby
Registered Member

Hi,

Water proof existing endcaps are nice to have, but they are quite expensive. It really doesn't save your tank if you drop the entire light fixture in to the tank. You can use a foam sleve to cover the endcaps and the end of the tube to prevent salt creep and water spashes.

- Victor.

reefburnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2002, 07:09 PM   #87
ahlstorm
Registered Member

Made setup with sylvania quicktronics ballastand love it

I went ahead and tried this idea with a sylvania quicktronics QT 4x32/120IS ballast that I bought at LOWES and a shoplight that I bought at walmart I tore the shoplight apart and screwed the reflector flat to the top of my canopy wired it up and put in sylavania daylight delux 6500 K bulbs and wow it is bright I will be adding 2 more to my system I tried running all of the wires down to one bulb and I didnt see that much excess light coming off just one compared to two so I wired up the ballast down to the two bulbs on the shoplight. I dont know how many watts are running through them but it is bright if you stare at it more than a second you will see light lines in your visionI know I see them right now lol I have just two of these runnng on a 90G and even at 24" the sand is very bright

total cost
28.00 for ballast
7.00 for shoplight
7.00 for bulbs
---------------------
42.00 TOTAL

PS: if you buy a shoplight at walmart make sure that it has the endclips that are separate from the ballast some are not they will not work the one I bought had a regular tar balast in it it was a cheapy but it worked

ahlstorm

ahlstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2002, 08:11 PM   #88
StirCrazy
Registered Member

I am using the coralife waterproof endcaps for my T12's. they come in both T12 and T8 sizes and both are 24.99 cdn for two endcaps with 8 foot wires and the clip on bulbholders. I figured sence I was saving a lot in ballast I could splurge a bit on the endcaps to prevent salt creap from shorting out my bulbs, not that it would hurt the bulb but you could sure get a hell of a shock off the tube it the salt creap grounded the pins to whare you bump it

steve

Current Tank Info: 37 planted, 25 angel/planted, 20 *kids tank* and 10 months on a 150 gal (total) reef
StirCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2002, 08:17 PM   #89
Big Worm
Registered Member

more questions...

I have a coralife electronic ballast... the one that comes w/ the h2o proof endcaps (t12). I think it is called a "wizard ballast" or some crap like that. Could i use this ballast to overdrive a 14" NO bulb. I think the ballast is designed to power a 20, 30 or 40 watt NO bulb.

Let me know what you think

Big Worm

Current Tank Info: 70 gal tall, Jaubert (NNR) system. Main focus is Softies and LPS. No skimmer or any other filtration be it chemical or mechanical.
Big Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2002, 08:57 PM   #90
odenwell
Premium Member

I seem to remember the wizzard ballast was recalled at some point due to a fire hazzard. This was some time ago, and I guess I could be wrong.

odenwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2002, 11:38 PM   #91
Adam
Registered Member

Reefburnaby and Stircrazy,

I have seen comparisons done with a light meter between NO and VHO driven on an Icecap. The output of the NO was about 90% of the VHO. From a purely anectdotal observation, I could not see any visible difference when I switched from VHO's to NO with my Icecap ballast, and the caulerpa didn't seem to mind either !

I am not a diehard Icecap fan, and I am not trying to down play your idea, I think it is great!

I am just curious if the long term cost benefit is really there. Lamp life has to be taken into consideration, as does the amount of light produced for the cost (initial and operating).

I would like to see the comparison of an Icecap driving NO and VHO, your system driving various lamps and standard ballast configurations with NO lamps. Compare them all for initial cost, one year electrical cost, lamp replacement costs, total lumens, W/lumen, and all of the above costs/lumen.

I would also be a little concerned about the safety of overdriving any lamp to such a high degree.

If all that information was on the table, then we could make a good decision.

Thanks for sharing the great idea, and please keep sharing information. I will be looking forward to hearing about your experience after a year, especially how much life you get out of the lamps.

Adam

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2002, 08:09 PM   #92
lifestudent
Registered Member

Where can I find the F32T8 Bulbs?

In Atlanta, I am having a hard time finding the F32T8 bulbs! The highest K rating I've able to locate was 4100 K at ACE Hardware. Neither 2 Home Depots nor Lowes carries anything higher. Neither Wal-Mart nor K-Mart carries T8s at all. Petsmart only carried T8 in 24" or smaller.

Will I have to buy the 48 " T8s from an online source? If so, which and for how much? Can anyone recommend a good MO source or another source in Atlanta?

Thanks for your help and for this great idea!

Bob

lifestudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2002, 09:44 PM   #93
johnny
Premium Member

hey guys,

for the endcaps and mounting brackets check out www.reefsplendor.com They have some nice brackets!

I may try this with two 4-6' actinics... definitely am interested

Nick

johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2002, 04:18 PM   #94
GROSSR
Registered Member

I may have missed it with so many posts,

but,

could someone tell me how to wire up the ballast to the endcaps?

I did see someone say all yellow to one side and red and blue to the other.

Is that all yellow to one pin, and all red+blue to a pin on the other side? What about the other pin on that same side, what gets wired to that?

thanks

GROSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2002, 05:57 PM   #95
Canadian Man
Registered Member

GROSSR
Both pins on the bulbs need to contact the wire from the ballast.
If you are using the cheep endcaps like i and many others are than you have two options.
1-This is what i did to have less wires going into my hood. i took both yellow wires and attached another wire that was going to go to the end cap together with a wirenut. put the end of the attached wire into one of the outside 4 holes on the endcaps. i then put a jumper wire inbetween the 2 inside holes and left the other outside one empty. make sense? did the same for blue and red wires. wired into one and same setup on endcap.

2- the other option i have seen done on this post is running the wires individually to the endcap. so 1 yellow on either 2 holes on one side of the end cap and the other yellow on either of the other two holes. with the blue and red wires each 1 of 4 would have it's own hole
hope this helps and makes sense?

Unread 02/12/2002, 02:24 AM   #96
reefburnaby
Registered Member

lifestudent,

Try looking up in the Yellow pages for electrical lighting suppliers (most likely, industrial lighting...not home lamp fixture lighting). Give them a call and see if you can get F32T8 6500K. They should be readily available from the lighting suppliers. If you are not sure, ask the HD guys where you can get these lights. They should know where to direct you to. To make your life simpler, ask the guy with +10 years of experience as a electrical contractor or the guy that knows the building code -- most of the other guys don't know what you are talking about. They should be about $3 each.

Adam,

Stay tuned....we will have some results very soon.

- Victor.

reefburnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2002, 08:00 AM   #97
GROSSR
Registered Member

Canadian Man,

So I understand, I don't want to fry myself. I would do this in the garage and see if they light. I might leave them on for a few hours and see what happens.

Wiring - I like your idea with 1 wire.

Take all the yellow wires and wire nut them up. Include an additional wire that will run to the endcap. At the endcap put the single yellow wire into one of the endcap holes. Next take a small piece of wire (yellow) and jump over to the other pin on the same endcap. In effect all the yellow wires touch both pins.

Do the same for the red and blue.

If so, I am off to HD to buy a 3x ballast and 2 endcaps and a 3.00 T8 bulb. I will test it out.

If I fry it, I am off to HD to return the ballast.

thanks

Last edited by GROSSR; 02/12/2002 at 10:06 PM.
GROSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2002, 09:38 AM   #98
Canadian Man
Registered Member

Grossr
you got it correct
dont forget a cord to plug it into the wall if you dont have one allready.

Unread 02/12/2002, 10:05 AM   #99
2hi4u2c
Registered Member

GROSSR,
Don't want anyone to fry, here is a pic of how I test wired a 4 bulb ballast.
Alan

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap_010.jpg (8.4 KB, 621 views)
2hi4u2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2002, 10:10 AM   #100
2hi4u2c
Registered Member

By the way for those of us with smaller tanks, we can run a couple smaller bulb in series off of one ballast. I am currently building a 20g canopy that has 2 24" Marine Glos wired in series overdriven 2X, and 3 18" Daylight T-8s wired in series overdriven 4X.. I'll post progress.
Alan

2hi4u2c is offline   Reply With Quote