Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2009, 06:31 PM   #1
unbreakable
D:

New LED lighting for nanos?

I just got the email from nanotuners that theyre ready to ship LED lighting for nano AIO like the biocubes and nanocubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLcCFXMJiU4

worth it???

Unread 09/20/2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Tadashi
Premium Member

Depends on the cost. How long do they last? When the LEDs burn out how much to replace (and how hard)?

I wonder if that is common among all lights in the cubes that the corners have more light than the front or if it was their design.

I am still undecided about LEDs. I love the shimmer and the ability to swap out the bulbs to whatever my light choices are (6500K, 14000K, 15000K, 20000K, etc). I might be won over more if there was a controller that would allow you to adjust your light from 6500 - 21000K and the appropriate LEDs would light up.

Current Tank Info: 14-gal Oceanic BioCube (see homepage link for current status)
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2009, 11:19 AM   #3
iFisch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tadashi
Depends on the cost. How long do they last? When the LEDs burn out how much to replace (and how hard)?

I wonder if that is common among all lights in the cubes that the corners have more light than the front or if it was their design.

I am still undecided about LEDs. I love the shimmer and the ability to swap out the bulbs to whatever my light choices are (6500K, 14000K, 15000K, 20000K, etc). I might be won over more if there was a controller that would allow you to adjust your light from 6500 - 21000K and the appropriate LEDs would light up.

I heard about $400 for the lighting for the 29g, if I remember correctly.

iFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2009, 05:06 PM   #4
daveonbass
Registered Member

I'm seriously thinking of gettign one of these for my 6 gallon nano cube that is running fallow right now. I say something similar in Dallas at DNA, and it was awesome...and the corals really popped. So I'm hoping that these AIO set ups will be worth it. I just have to decide which colors to use (blue, white, 50/50) and in what combos of those colors, since the kit for the 6 gallon JBJ only can have three strips of LEDs (each strip is 6 LEDs).

The apparently will not ship till october...or two weeks into october, or something like that. But I can wait. I just need to write them and find out how easy it is to change the color combos...or if they are glued to the heat sink.

dave

Current Tank Info: 58g reef, 60 total gallons including rocks and sand, 36" 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, DAS skimmer, Bio pellets, 2 MP10 vortechs
daveonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2009, 09:48 AM   #5
unbreakable
D:

I just dont like spot lighting effect that LEDs produce. not just this brand, but other brands tend to produce the spotlighting

Unread 09/23/2009, 03:37 PM   #6
reeftivo
Skim junkie

aqua illumination! But you could buy 3 cubes for the price of their small 24" fixture.

Very nice though!http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/cat...p?cPath=28_541

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2009, 04:02 PM   #7
unbreakable
D:

Wish I could afford the AI system

Unread 09/23/2009, 05:25 PM   #8
tryptal
Registered Member

LED Lighting

Appartenly with the lens covers off the LED lights you get very little spot light effect.. They have some vids up on youtube of the rigs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLcCFXMJiU4

check it out-

tryptal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2009, 07:27 PM   #9
unbreakable
D:

they removed a part from the LEDs so it wont spotlight, and the PAR readings were reduced as a result

Unread 09/24/2009, 07:15 AM   #10
iFisch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by unbreakable
Wish I could afford the AI system
+1, me too! Sheet.. expensive as heck.

Looks to be the Maserati of lights. The quality looks impeccable.

Unread 09/24/2009, 09:58 AM   #11
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by iFisch
+1, me too! Sheet.. expensive as heck.

Looks to be the Maserati of lights. The quality looks impeccable.
I'm hoping since they are in the US that they have to eventually bring the price down with the economy being in such bad shape. However, I think they get alot of the components from China so that may not happen any time soon. I believe the Aqua lights put out well over 450PAR-not bad!

Rehype has some cool pics of his lights on his thread.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
Unread 09/24/2009, 10:13 AM   #12
iFisch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reeftivo
I'm hoping since they are in the US that they have to eventually bring the price down with the economy being in such bad shape. However, I think they get alot of the components from China so that may not happen any time soon. I believe the Aqua lights put out well over 450PAR-not bad!

Rehype has some cool pics of his lights on his thread.
450 PAR where in the tank, and this is with water, correct?

Unread 09/24/2009, 10:27 AM   #13
reeftivo
Skim junkie

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/10/review
Here' a head to head with 250 watt MH

Unread 09/24/2009, 11:00 AM   #14
iFisch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reeftivo
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/10/review
Here' a head to head with 250 watt MH

Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Unread 09/24/2009, 07:54 PM   #15
Tadashi
Premium Member

That is what I was looking for, a comparison between MH and LED, however, there are issues with the comparison.

1. Why did they do a MH without a reflector? Using a reflector is a standard practice. I am not sure how much a reflector contributes but I imagine it makes a difference.

2. They chose a light specturm not similiar to the LEDs. The MH are 20000k which has less PAR than say a 10000K which is what the AquaIllumination is.

Regarless of those two problems in their analysis it does look like the LEDs benefit of lower temp and electricity usage seems to outweigh the MH as far as performance and if you count bulb changes in the MH over 11.4 years you are paying about the same.

Current Tank Info: 14-gal Oceanic BioCube (see homepage link for current status)
Unread 09/24/2009, 08:14 PM   #16
Tadashi
Premium Member

It seems that either the 250-watt MH is really inefficient compared to an 88-watt LED. I guess most of the MH energy is heat versus PAR.