Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2019, 07:07 PM   #1
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Bye bye Drs

Good riddance Petco. Hope it's true that you took a loss on this.

4 fit in the fish room. These must live in exile for some time!

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(

Last edited by ostrow; 01/23/2019 at 07:34 PM.
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 07:11 PM   #2
ostrow

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
Unread 01/23/2019, 07:12 PM   #3
ostrow

***? RC doesn't work any more. Whatever.

Pictures didn't work. No option to delete posts. After 17 years, I may also find it time to leave for a different site. Sad.

Last edited by ostrow; 01/23/2019 at 07:35 PM.
Unread 01/23/2019, 08:45 PM   #4
lolgranny
The DQ King

It’s been dead sadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 40g RIP. 300g system, 180g display.
lolgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 09:18 PM   #5
tp5056
Registered Member

Petco doing a firesale on salt and etc??!

Current Tank Info: 55g - 65lbs LR - 60lbs LS
tp5056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 09:32 PM   #6
IowaReefer
Registered Member

Where did everyone go?

Current Tank Info: 60 gallon cube mixed reef
IowaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 07:49 AM   #7
Oblivionis
Registered Member

What is this thread about?

Current Tank Info: 120g reef
Oblivionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 08:45 AM   #8
ostrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivionis View Post
What is this thread about?
Petco is closing down Dr's. Yes: continually rolling fire sales on everything.

Unread 01/24/2019, 09:01 AM   #9
mhurley
RC Staff

Is it true that Live Aquaria is staying open?

Current Tank Info: 60G Cube
mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 09:11 AM   #10
ostrow

Mike: for now, it appears yes.

When is the last you ordered from them? Even Diver's Den? There is no distinction (other than price) between them. Used to be that DD animals were separately selected and kept at Quality, but this hasn't been the case since the Petco parent gained control over all of these elements. DD, LA and Petco -- all the animals come from the same, integrated systems now. So, might as well just go to Petco.

I have ordered, from DD and LA, and the livestock is sickly, deformed, blemished more often than not. Survival rates astonishingly low. DOAs a regularity.

Unread 01/24/2019, 09:22 AM   #11
mhurley
RC Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrow View Post

When is the last you ordered from them? Even Diver's Den? There is no distinction (other than price) between them. Used to be that DD animals were separately selected and kept at Quality, but this hasn't been the case since the Petco parent gained control over all of these elements. DD, LA and Petco -- all the animals come from the same, integrated systems now. So, might as well just go to Petco.

I have ordered, from DD and LA, and the livestock is sickly, deformed, blemished more often than not. Survival rates astonishingly low. DOAs a regularity.
Oh it’s been many years since I ordered from them.
It was more just a question about the whole thing shutting down.

Current Tank Info: 60G Cube
mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 11:27 AM   #12
lolgranny
The DQ King

Quote:

I disagree with this completely. I’ve ordered from DD and LA for 10+ years. Since petco took over I still use them as my sole source for fish / inverts. Nothing has changed, fish have come in the same as they have for years. Of course you get some DOA, that’s always happened. I have 50+ fish in my tank and never have I had to QT. Everything is very healthy. My last order which was 2 -3 weeks ago everything came in healthy and alive despite the delay ups had due to the snowstorm in Chicago. I got some delicate inverts and some hard to keep wrasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 40g RIP. 300g system, 180g display.
lolgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 11:40 AM   #13
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:

No they don't.. Diver Den is in WI and that facility even the WI LA stuff is better than their LA Florida or LA California. Kevin runs LA WI and it is still good even though quality may have dropped some but it is far better than the other stores. Don't believe all internet rumors.

All this has been know for a while... DR Foster and Smith is being closed down and some of it is being integrated into LA. That is why LA is carrying dry goods.

It stinks because Dr Foster and Smith has been such a good company but it makes no sense for Petco To keep them open. It also stinks because DR F& S warehouse is here in WI and allot will loose thier jobs.

With Map pricing on so much stuff everyone is selling stuff for the same price. I mean I was looking for dog food and it was the same price at Chewy, DR Foster and Smith and Petco etc.. Also Petco had been caring DR F&S stuff for a while. They both sell the same stuff.
Why not integrate the two and save money and Petco is now the bigger brand with their brick and mortar business. Doesn't matter how much we hate Petco it is good business at this point. I am going to say this Petco has improved some since buying DR F& S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
Is it true that Live Aquaria is staying open?
Yes as of now there are no changes to LA other than with dry goods.

Hopefully this will allow them to make LA Florida and California better..

Unread 01/24/2019, 12:25 PM   #14
ostrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
No they don't.. Diver Den is in WI and that facility even the WI LA stuff is better than their LA Florida or LA California. Kevin runs LA WI and it is still good even though quality may have dropped some but it is far better than the other stores. Don't believe all internet rumors.

All this has been know for a while... DR Foster and Smith is being closed down and some of it is being integrated into LA. That is why LA is carrying dry goods.

It stinks because Dr Foster and Smith has been such a good company but it makes no sense for Petco To keep them open. It also stinks because DR F& S warehouse is here in WI and allot will loose thier jobs.

With Map pricing on so much stuff everyone is selling stuff for the same price. I mean I was looking for dog food and it was the same price at Chewy, DR Foster and Smith and Petco etc.. Also Petco had been caring DR F&S stuff for a while. They both sell the same stuff.
Why not integrate the two and save money and Petco is now the bigger brand with their brick and mortar business. Doesn't matter how much we hate Petco it is good business at this point. I am going to say this Petco has improved some since buying DR F& S.

Yes as of now there are no changes to LA other than with dry goods.

Hopefully this will allow them to make LA Florida and California better..
No internet rumors my friend. I tried several orders with them. Including after what I learned about their livestock. Yeah, there is a WI facility and that is where most DD items ship from. That's what I always ordered from, minus one attempt at LA to compare. Saw zippo distinction other than that via DD you see a photo of the item you are getting. Supposedly. My radiant wrasse received was NOT what was in the photo, and was blemished. Other fish had uronema via the integrated single facility at Quality (at the time. No clue any more what the uronema status is there. If you are unaware, search and read. Petco and now our hobby is suddenly awash in uronema. Happy days. No coincidence.)

It doesn't matter where the holding facility that ships to the consumer is located. Their livestock comes from the same Petco-owned facilities. All
of them. Petco/LA/DD -- there is no longer any segregation out for LA or DD items. Those facilities are all one now, and what goes to DD and what goes to a Petco store that stocks saltwater comes from the same systems. Same lists. No hand picking.

That's what I know - not from internet sources.

Regarding Kevin and his role, I have read on the internet both stories, the most convincing of which is that sometime early in 2018 he moved up the chain to a less hands-on role at Petco (or was it at Petco's parent?) and is connected to the WI facility only on paper. As I said, that I don't know from the source.

But as for where the livestock comes from, anything said other than described above, you'd have to PM me the source to consider it. Because what I describe above comes straight from a talking horse, if you catch my drift.

Unread 01/24/2019, 12:52 PM   #15
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
No internet rumors my friend. I tried several orders with them. Including after what I learned about their livestock. Yeah, there is a WI facility and that is where most DD items ship from. That's what I always ordered from, minus one attempt at LA to compare. Saw zippo distinction other than that via DD you see a photo of the item you are getting. Supposedly. My radiant wrasse received was NOT what was in the photo, and was blemished. Other fish had uronema via the integrated single facility at Quality (at the time. No clue any more what the uronema status is there. If you are unaware, search and read. Petco and now our hobby is suddenly awash in uronema. Happy days. No coincidence.)

It doesn't matter where the holding facility that ships to the consumer is located. Their livestock comes from the same Petco-owned facilities. All
of them. Petco/LA/DD -- there is no longer any segregation out for LA or DD items. Those facilities are all one now, and what goes to DD and what goes to a Petco store that stocks saltwater comes from the same systems. Same lists. No hand picking.

That's what I know - not from internet sources.

Regarding Kevin and his role, I have read on the internet both stories, the most convincing of which is that sometime early in 2018 he moved up the chain to a less hands-on role at Petco (or was it at Petco's parent?) and is connected to the WI facility only on paper. As I said, that I don't know from the source.

But as for where the livestock comes from, anything said other than described above, you'd have to PM me the source to consider it. Because what I describe above comes straight from a talking horse, if you catch my drift.
Wrong.. They do not all come from the same facility. Yea they may be shipping Petco stuff but I believe Petco livestock actually ships Quality marine.

I placed an order sometime before Christmas and it came in 3 different boxes from 3 different places. It says on their website which facility they ship from.

There quality has dropped and I wont argue there but they ship from different places.

For example.
These ship from WI:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-d...sh-bonded-pair

These ship from California:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...06&c=15+28+106

These ship from Florida

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...=597+2856+6155

it says right where they come from and it has always been the case for me.

Live Aquaria buys all their stuff from Quality marine. But there are 3 LA facilities. I can not say what went wrong with your order.
But I will say the stuff from the other two were not shipped well and the WI stuff was packaged way better and showed up in good shape....

This may change in the future who knows but it has not as of now. I do nto order much because of the bad luck I have had with the other 2 LA.

Last edited by shred5; 01/24/2019 at 12:57 PM.
shred5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 12:57 PM   #16
ostrow

And none of those places distinguishes between what is for Petco, what is for LA and what is for DD.

That is what is different. I never said there was one facility. I said there is no separate LA or DD pool. What you get is Petco. All integrated together.

Unread 01/24/2019, 01:00 PM   #17
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
And none of those places distinguishes between what is for Petco, what is for LA and what is for DD.

That is what is different. I never said there was one facility. I said there is no separate LA or DD pool. What you get is Petco. All integrated together.
I am not going to argue with you not worth it. Believe what you want.

Unread 02/14/2019, 10:02 AM   #18
shaka
Registered Member

It's really "official" now.

The name "Petco" is now on their website:

Drs. Foster and Smith + Petco

shaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2019, 12:12 AM   #19
moon jelly
Registered Member

It’s sad. A 200g of Tropic Marin is now $100. And off topic, a 5lb bag of millet for my birds was $15 at the drs and $30 at petco

moon jelly is offline   Reply With Quote