Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2017, 02:39 PM   #26
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrineLfRlz View Post
So far no overflows!
I did go ahead and make adjustments to the incoming air and with all my tweaks i have been skimming much drier, before i never could get it to skim drier and it would be a wet skim all the time.
As I said earlier, this line of skimmers are notorious for overflowing, and it is due to the shape of the body, and too much air drawn. Putting the skimmer in the correct water depth, and restricting the air intake, is what makes these skimmers shine. The other mods are for your pleasure, not the performance of the skimmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagatbezan View Post
I'm just curious, wouldn't limiting the air intake cause it to overflow even more because there is more water going into it then air?
The reason I ask this is because on my SRO3000 it always tends to overflow when the air intake gets calcium buildup in it causing the water level inside the skimmer to rise.
Yes, that is correct. But you compensate by opening up the gate valve to lower the internal water level. If you want to avoid the calcium build up, plumb your air intake hose into your collection cup to draw moist air, and you will never have to clean it again. Here is a pic of how I did it to my Aquamaxx EM300. If you decide to do it, be sure to put the hole above the bottom line of the lid, so it does not draw anything other than moist air. See the moisture in the air line?

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 01:05 PM   #27
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926 View Post
As I said earlier, this line of skimmers are notorious for overflowing, and it is due to the shape of the body, and too much air drawn. Putting the skimmer in the correct water depth, and restricting the air intake, is what makes these skimmers shine. The other mods are for your pleasure, not the performance of the skimmer.

Yes, that is correct. But you compensate by opening up the gate valve to lower the internal water level. If you want to avoid the calcium build up, plumb your air intake hose into your collection cup to draw moist air, and you will never have to clean it again. Here is a pic of how I did it to my Aquamaxx EM300. If you decide to do it, be sure to put the hole above the bottom line of the lid, so it does not draw anything other than moist air. See the moisture in the air line?

That a great advice about the inlet of the skimmer! Thanks, gonna have to try that.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 11:37 PM   #28
ant123mon
Registered Member

I’m starting to wonder if my skimmer is just to large to run daily my tank is relatively new after my water it’s just been overflowing. I think mine may be overflowing just because it’s to clean I get 0 phosphate and I’m starting to think my corals are starving. Idk but over skimming sounds possible in some of these cases?? Idk live to hear people chime in on subject.

ant123mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 07:58 PM   #29
ant123mon
Registered Member

So after my last reply I watched a video on YouTube with some guy using olive oil near the top of the skimmer to reduce overflowing. Worked like a charm google the video.

ant123mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2018, 03:18 PM   #30
Louis suffer
Registered Member

I was using the octo 2000 hob. Sometimes it over flowed and sometimes it didn’t. But it always stopped when it ran out of water. I guess that’s a plus? Contacted there service dept and explained that it was over flowing the cup even if it was as far up has it could be. It did pull protein out of the water but it also filled full of water tell it over flowed. They said it’s how I had it set up. But failed to explain why it only did it sometimes. After talking with a few people we discovered it’s a common problem. CoralVue Was more then happy to allow me to send it back. Btw, if you smash it with a hammer, you can send it back in a small less expensive box! Best I’ve felt in years. No noise, no wet floors, no insurance claims. Life is great with out a octo 2000

Louis suffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2019, 09:45 AM   #31
Dave & Monica
Registered Member

This thread is the magic secret to getting these skimmers working correctly. Secret is lowering the air intake. I struggled for a long time, messing with height, output water flow all with the same result... overflow watery skimate or none at all... Once I started restricting the air intake, I finally found my seat spot. I have a SRO SSS-3000. I'll take pics and post later but if you just tune the air in, you'll find your setting in no time.

Dave & Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2019, 01:30 PM   #32
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Monica View Post
This thread is the magic secret to getting these skimmers working correctly. Secret is lowering the air intake. I struggled for a long time, messing with height, output water flow all with the same result... overflow watery skimate or none at all... Once I started restricting the air intake, I finally found my seat spot. I have a SRO SSS-3000. I'll take pics and post later but if you just tune the air in, you'll find your setting in no time.
what did you use to restrict the air intake? I'm thinking of doing something similar on mine.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 09:47 AM   #33
Dave & Monica
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagatbezan View Post
what did you use to restrict the air intake? I'm thinking of doing something similar on mine.
The skimmer came with a small black cap for one of the two air silencer holes. For the longest time, I had it open full throttle = overflowing all the time. This means my skimmer container was either nothing - or filled with water, not ice tea or thicker skimmate as desired.

What I ended up with was the cap on, then used electrical tape to cover about 25% of the other hole. So one of the two is open only 75%.

Part of me feels this is like having an 8 cylinder car and taking off 4 of them. Yes the skimmer is working now, but some how feel it's not pulling as much gunk out as it should. I was thinking of ordering this neck extension, https://fragtasticreef.com/reef-octo...ck-extensions/ and seeing how it works. Also, I get my Ozone in today, plan to run that at night so I am sure that will make this even more challenging.

On my old set up, I've owned skimmers by ETSS, Remora, and AquaMaxx. This is by far the hardest skimmer to tune. I played around with height, output mods, and finally the air intake seems to be the best. For the $, I wish I would have went with the AquaMaxx but trying to make the best of what I have.

Dave & Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2019, 04:20 PM   #34
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

Talking

Just thought I would throw in a update since putting the valve on the air inlet and adjusting I have never had another overflow problem!

Current Tank Info: BubbleMagus(calc.,alk/Clearwater CW-300 Scrubber//56wAQUA UV/Reef Oct.SRO6000SSS Protein sk./1/10HP Chiller/GENESIS AWC
MrineLfRlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 10:27 AM   #35
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman926 View Post
This line of skimmers are known to overflow. The problem is too much air is induced into the body. Put a valve on the muffler to adjust and restrict air flow, and watch your overflow problems go away.
Quote:
I will give this a try thank you very much for the info.
Quote:
So far no overflows!
I did go ahead and make adjustments to the incoming air and with all my tweaks i have been skimming much drier, before i never could get it to skim drier and it would be a wet skim all the time.
Quote:
Just thought I would throw in a update since putting the valve on the air inlet and adjusting I have never had another overflow problem!
Awesome to see this...

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote