Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2019, 01:51 PM   #1
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

Peninsula Tanks

I'm looking for a nice peninsula tank, without the sump and associated "stuff". It's for my basement and I have a dedicated fish room that the tank will butt up against. Everything can be run through the wall.

I love the look of the Red Sea, but they come with what probably turns out to be $500+ worth of stuff I don't need.

Spyderturbo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2019, 01:25 PM   #2
clevername
Registered Member

cool story

clevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2019, 07:17 AM   #3
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername2000 View Post
cool story
I guess I wasn't really clear enough when I made my post.

My goal was to find a peninsula tank that has the look of the Red Sea without all the extra stuff. I looked around and it appears that anything would need to be custom.

Unread 10/29/2019, 08:41 AM   #4
clevername
Registered Member

much clearer.

So whats the overall aspect that you like about red sea?

the rimless? the built in "sump" in the back of the tank?

Unread 10/29/2019, 12:59 PM   #5
herostar
Registered Member

What dimensions are you looking for?

There are lots of interesting peninsula builds on here, seems like the common issue they run into is getting plumbing/equipment to the parts of the tank that are away from the wall. The best solution I've seen is people hiding pvc plumbing in the sand bed in order to get flow at the far end of the tank.

Current Tank Info: 58g Oceanic (Est. 2007)
herostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2019, 02:06 PM   #6
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

The biggest thing is the rimless, followed by the built in overflow at the back and the nice looking stand. The setups by Waterbox also look really nice too.

I was wondering what people did for flow at the far end. I don't think a black cord holding an MP60 would look too nice with such clean lines elsewhere.

Unread 11/09/2019, 05:48 AM   #7
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
The biggest thing is the rimless, followed by the built in overflow at the back and the nice looking stand. The setups by Waterbox also look really nice too.

I was wondering what people did for flow at the far end. I don't think a black cord holding an MP60 would look too nice with such clean lines elsewhere.
I have a Waterbox 5526 peninsula with two MP40QWD on the far end. I just run the cables up into the rail for the radions.

Unread 11/09/2019, 06:32 AM   #8
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

On my peninsula, there is a hole in the middle bottom and on the far end of the tank. I plumbed the center hole to the inlet of my circulation pump and the hole at the far end is the return. I covered up both within my rock scape. I used a "Y" on the return so I could mix up the flows. It turned out pretty nice.

aikenreefkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2019, 01:57 PM   #9
clevername
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenreefkeeper View Post
On my peninsula, there is a hole in the middle bottom and on the far end of the tank. I plumbed the center hole to the inlet of my circulation pump and the hole at the far end is the return. I covered up both within my rock scape. I used a "Y" on the return so I could mix up the flows. It turned out pretty nice.
I assume your fish room/sump is in the basement or on a lower floor.

Trying to figure out how to do a peninsula tank on the same floor as sump. Guess holes drilled up high at one end of the tank.Whats annoying is my 210 is already bottom drilled like you explained

Unread 11/10/2019, 05:37 AM   #10
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

Actually, my equipment is in the cabinet under the tank. My overflow/return is on the right side of the tank and the recirculation is in the middle/left side of the tank. When I feed the fish, the food swirls around the tank and you can see how the currents really mix it up. Here is a picture of my setup while it was still in the garage being tested for leaks.

aikenreefkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2019, 10:14 AM   #11
tmnails
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post

A magnetically driven wave maker where the motor is outside the tank wall would be my first choice, and run the cable down the outside corner. I know what you mean tho. There isn't an ideal setup for that.

I go with a rim for that reason. Hide wires and your water line.

tmnails is offline   Reply With Quote