Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/29/2017, 08:52 PM   #51
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Great stuff. I can't wait to hear feedback on the kh guardian.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2017, 02:13 AM   #52
dorkymk3
helpful reefer

This is a very well thought out build. Looking forward to seeing this wet in action.

22g AA rimless w/external overflow, Custom 12g Sump, Sicce 1.5 return pump, Bubble Magus Nac 3.5 protein skimmer, AI nano, Tunze 6040, 6055 controlled by 7096, all monitored by DA RKL plus/net

Current Tank Info: 22g AA Rimless 24x16x14 external overflow, Custom 12g sump, Bubble Magus Nac 3.5, Sicce 1.5, AI nano, Tunze 6040 and Tunze 6055 controlled by tunze 7096 and DA RKL plus/net
dorkymk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2017, 12:54 AM   #53
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycnibrc View Post
Love the apex panel I wish I have the time to install my apex better. Is the blue line the edge off the tank? The rock scape look pretty close to the glass
There is about 4-5" of space between the glass and rock. I will probably scoot the rocks in a bit when I place them in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
Well, ya... There's no way I'm passing this thread up. Subscribed
Thanks for joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanS View Post
Great build.

Question! Who built your stand?

Thanks
Thank you! Crystal Dynamics built the tank and stand. Trent said it was his first stand with the frosted glass doors. I think he did a great job. It has soft closing doors, magnetic push release and removable hinges. Overall build quality is good. The silicone work on the tank itself is also good. Not a bubble or air pocket anywhere to be found. I would say Crystal Dynamics does better quality than Leemars as I've had two Leemars tank and there was always bubbles in the silicone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
Great stuff. I can't wait to hear feedback on the kh guardian.
Thank you, if you do a google search for it, there is a massive thread/review of it else where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkymk3 View Post
This is a very well thought out build. Looking forward to seeing this wet in action.
Thank you, months of planning went into this build so I am happy to see it come to fruition.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2017, 06:51 PM   #54
mpderksen
Registered Member

Mike's 360G Dream House, Dream Tank, Dream Box

Couple of questions, if you don't mind:
1. What is your Apex panel material?
2. Can I see more pictures and description of your mixing station? I'm about to redo mine and looking for ideas.
3. What tablet are you using for Fusion? I was going to order a basic Amazon Fire for mine.

mpderksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2017, 12:36 AM   #55
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpderksen View Post
2. Can I see more pictures and description of your mixing station? I'm about to redo mine and looking for ideas.
3. What tablet are you using for Fusion? I was going to order a basic Amazon Fire for mine.
Hey,

Not a problem,

1. The Apex panel is just plywood that has been sanded and stained. The panel is lifted away from the stand to run wires to the side, there is also a cut out in the bottom middle of the panel to run wires underneath. I did not want to drill any holes into the wood as I planned to mount things like power adapters behind the panel.

2. Mixing station is two 75G tanks and the pump is a panworld 50PX-X - 1110 GPH. All 1" plumbing and fittings. I'll get some pics when there is still daylight out. If you have any questions, please let me know.

3. I am using a Microsoft Surface (windows tablet). I chose this instead of a ipad or kindle so I can plug my ATI hybrid PM to the tablet and make a light schedule for it.

Unread 06/01/2017, 12:40 AM   #56
mike810
Registered Member

Neptune ATK came in today.

I had to re-orientate the optical eyes and float valve so it can better fit in my sump. The wires for the optical eyes were just long enough so I can it over to the Apex panel where the FMM is located. Ideally, I would like to have enough slack so that the wires can run along the floor and out of sight until it reach the FMM but it's currently shooting straight across the back of the sump and the space between the dosing containers and Apex panel has two wires in the air. Not ideal but I don't want to cut into the wires to extend it.

A box full of socks. It wasn't easy finding socks that fit the Dreambox.

Unread 06/01/2017, 08:44 AM   #57
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Pics aren't working for me but where did you find socks that fit? Please send me info as I do not want to buy socks @$16/ ea ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 06/02/2017, 12:31 AM   #58
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpderksen View Post
Here a couple pics of the SW mixing station. The shed is located on the side of the house so it's pretty narrow there so I couldn't get a full shot.

Just two 75G tanks run by a panworld pump. Will be adding float switches to both RODI and SW tank to shut off pumps when water is low.

6 Stage BRS water saver, booster pump, pressure switch, auto flush, EB8, PM2, break out box and HM TDS sensors for water in, water after RO membranes, water after first DI canister and water after second DI canister.

Unread 06/02/2017, 12:33 AM   #59
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownsRCoo View Post
Pics aren't working for me but where did you find socks that fit? Please send me info as I do not want to buy socks @$16/ ea ever again.

My buddy got them for me. All the ones I ordered didn't fit but he came thru for me. PM me if you're interested, I'll see if he can get anymore.

Unread 06/02/2017, 12:38 AM   #60
mike810
Registered Member

99% of the plumbing done, just need to glue the drains and plumbing is done. Rock is in the tank and sand will go in tomorrow after the drains are done. I have to remove the overflow box to finish up the drains so I don't want to be stepping in sand. Once that is done, will do a leak test with RODI water. I'm currently making water now in the shed, I can store 150 gallons of water. If all goes well, I'll add salt to the sump to bring the salinity up and get the cycle going.

Unread 06/02/2017, 01:03 AM   #61
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

Looking great Mike!! I'm excited for you and can't wait to see this all come together soon!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ryan Darilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2017, 04:49 AM   #62
cincyjim
Registered Member

This is very nice and well thought out. I can't wait to see how it looks with water, sand, and rock! You're doing a great job!

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2017, 12:32 AM   #63
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Darilek View Post
Looking great Mike!! I'm excited for you and can't wait to see this all come together soon!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks Ryan, everything is coming along nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
This is very nice and well thought out. I can't wait to see how it looks with water, sand, and rock! You're doing a great job!

Thanks Jim, I love it when a plan comes together. Especially when it involved months of planning.

Unread 06/03/2017, 12:36 AM   #64
mike810
Registered Member

We have water!

The water making saga to be continued.

I love this cam lever, wish I found out about it in my previous builds. Makes storing or changing out the hose much easier. Getting all the water out of the hose is much easier when you can quickly discount it from the plumbing.

Unread 06/03/2017, 08:20 AM   #65
herbklee
Registered Member

nice!

herbklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2017, 08:39 AM   #66
abrooks12376
Registered Member

Most excellent build! We have similar taste in cabinet doors

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

abrooks12376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2017, 08:52 AM   #67
Hudds
Registered Member

Great set up!

Subscribed

Thalassographia Reef
Hudds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2017, 08:57 AM   #68
locito277
Registered Member

Whoa!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2017, 02:06 AM   #69
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbklee View Post
nice!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrooks12376 View Post
Most excellent build! We have similar taste in cabinet doors

Looks great! Good luck with your build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudds View Post
Great set up!

Subscribed
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by locito277 View Post
Whoa!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know right? lol

Unread 06/05/2017, 02:13 AM   #70
mike810
Registered Member

So I have some good news and bad news. I'll start with the good. I got up this morning (more like noon) and filled up the tank full along with the sump. Ran the tank and checked for leaks, a couple minor leaks from the unions which I took care of right away. I fired up the skimmer and it started producing a good foam right away even with the pump on the lowest setting and pipe wide open. The water is a nasty yellow/green and stinks. The pukani rock is dirrrrrtay. I checked the ammonia and got a good solid green reading via API test. I threw in 5 bottles of bio-spira and I was on cloud 9. Today was the day the cycle begins!

Unread 06/05/2017, 02:28 AM   #71
mike810
Registered Member

Now on to the bad news.

I know some of the pics are hard to see. The tank was full and running for a full day. Around 10pm while working on the tank, I noticed some bubbles in the eurobrace silicone which I did not remember seeing before. This made me check all the silicone. The silicone on the eurobrace that runs 8ft from side to side of the tank started separating from the side panes. The right side front and rear eurobrace had a couple bubbles in them. When I went to inspect the left side, the eurobrace completely separated from the side panes. Needless to say, this made me extremely nervous and thankfully, I had the builders cell. I sent him a text with pictures and he told me to partially drain the tank and he will come over tomorrow morning to inspect. Hopefully he can fix it with the tank in place, otherwise he will have to take the tank back to his shop.

I went from cloud 9 to rock bottom in a day. I just dumped in a box and half of fritz rpm salt, 5 bottles of bio-spira. That's a lot of money down the drain literally. Not to mention all the wasted rodi and rodi waste water down the drain. The rodi also burned thru half a canister of DI resin. I'm so bummed, this build has officially come to a screeching halt. There are still some little things I can do in the shed and under the tank but the tank itself will not be filled for another 3-4 weeks. Apparently that is how long the silicone needs to fully cure and the eurobrace was freshly put in place before tank delivery.

Unread 06/05/2017, 05:32 AM   #72
abrooks12376
Registered Member

Oh nooo, that's bad news man. I really hope he can remedy this situation for you. Ime this will require a complete strip down and reseal

abrooks12376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2017, 06:29 AM   #73
cincyjim
Registered Member

I feel so bad for you. I can't imagine what you must be going through after all you have done to the point of having water in the tank and the start of the cycle. I truly hope you are able to get this resolved soon. On a good note though, I'm glad you caught this now instead of later.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2017, 01:42 AM   #74
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrooks12376 View Post
Oh nooo, that's bad news man. I really hope he can remedy this situation for you. Ime this will require a complete strip down and reseal

Yeah it sucks. It's only affecting the 8ft eurobrace so the builder is coming today in the morning to inspect and possibly repair. The seams holding the panes together still looks good so hopefully it can be repaired on the spot. I don't feel like removing 200+ pounds of rock and sand (dry weight), gotta weigh a lot more now that it's wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
I feel so bad for you. I can't imagine what you must be going through after all you have done to the point of having water in the tank and the start of the cycle. I truly hope you are able to get this resolved soon. On a good note though, I'm glad you caught this now instead of later.
It was a downer for sure Jim but gotta keep going. I am hoping the builder can fix the problem when he comes and not need to remove the tank. I am very glad I caught this sooner than later when there is live stock in the tank or worse, having the tank fail.

Unread 06/06/2017, 01:52 AM   #75
mike810
Registered Member

While the tank sits partially empty, I went on to work on some things in the shed. The shed is about 45 ft away from the tank so I had to order two 30 ft aquabus extension cables. This means the aquabus connection will be sitting outside. There is a lot of moisture in the air here at night living so close to the beach so I ghetto rigged this weather proof box out of tupperware for the aquabus connection. Dremeled the corners to fit the cable and then caulked it to seal it off.

I also pinned all the rodi lines to the house for a cleaner look. I installed a pmup into the RODI tank along with a float switch to shut off the pmup and text me when the water is low. Also installed a magnetic switch to have the lights turn on when I open the right door of the shed. The left door has pins on the top and bottom to lock down the door and I would always have to undo the pins to get the door open and then turn on the lights. It was a hassle.

Under the tank, I installed a neptune solenoid to cut off water from the RODI PMUP. I forgot to take a pic of that. I'll update this thread after the builder sees what he can do about the eurobracing.