Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/18/2017, 06:35 AM   #1
Diana A
Registered Member

What is the protocal for new BTA?

I will be picking up a BTA on Friday. Before putting it in the QT does it get dipped in a solution like Ruby Reef Hydroplex?

Unread 07/18/2017, 06:39 AM   #2
subbedout
Registered Member

I dipped mine for 5 minutes in Coral Revive. He survived and seems to be doing well 3 weeks later.

subbedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 07:59 AM   #3
davocean
Registered Member

I personally have never dipped a nem in anything and I'd just QT and observe, it there were any signs of needing treatment of some kind like cipro I would do that only if needed, but I don't see that need so much for BTA's, so just a straight QT and observation would be my first choice.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 08:07 AM   #4
Diana A
Registered Member

thank you!

Unread 07/18/2017, 09:40 AM   #5
WatDatThing
Registered Member

I don't think BTA need to be qt or dip. I temperature acclimated mine and in they went. One thing to consider is if you have clown fish, you can increase the chance of the clown fish taking its host by putting both the clown fish and the BTA in a basket for a couple of days. The clown fish will naturally seek shelter in the anemone. When placing the anemone in the tank, I recommend reducing the light intensity for a few days. Also, move the flow away from the spot you want it to stay. Hopefully it will plant it's foot and stay put. Once it settled, you can up the light and flow.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 10:21 AM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

QT is best really especially if you have other nems, you can actually pass a bacterial infection.
As for forcing close proximity, we do not advise doing that, you could actually harm your clowns if they have not adapted to nems sting cells.
I do turn flow down until they attach, but once they do I put back to normal right away, and I only would diffuse light if I thought they came from much weaker light than mine, otherwise they may move seeking different flow and light, and i usually place them where I'm pretty sure it's going to be about right, so far I'm on a pretty good long roll of my nems staying put this way.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote