Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:00 PM   #1
Xxxtremewv
Registered Member

T5/LED to LED acclimation question

For the life of me I couldn't find a good breakdown of it, but I have a question that I'm sure you guys will be able to easily answer. I won 8 or 9 corals from the Jason Fox live sale last week, and trying to figure out what kind of acclimation light wise I need to do. I have a Kessil AP700 covering most of the tank which runs at 65% intensity at most during the day, and covering the left 2' of the tank I have an A360WE, which is at 50% I believe its on for the day time hours. The corals are a mix of zoas, a lepro, and an acan. I haven't got an email back on what he had them under this week, but a while back I had bought a couple acans and he had said T5/LED medium is what he had them under. So I'm assuming these were under the same thing. My question is, will there be much of an acclimation necessary since he had them under some LED already? I put them under the A360 on a rack earlier and set it down to 20% until I could get some opinions. Any ideas?

thanks!

Xxxtremewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 08:27 PM   #2
mitch91175
Premium Member

Not an expert, but have read a lot and from my understanding is that the worst you can do is bleach it a little and it will acclimate. I think you are more likely to kill them by not having the other water parameters in check before too much light would kill them. Just my $0.02.

I have a tank that I consider deep at 28" so I run my lights Hydra52 at 100% for about 4 hours. I even just added T5s to supplement. Much better PAR readings than without the T5s.

Just find out where you want to place them in your tank and increase your light to get to where you want to. You have to think that people with heavily stocked SPS don't always drop there lighting in the tank to add another frag. They likely just put it where they want it and let it adjust; also keeping an eye on it to check for any signs.

mitch91175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 01:53 AM   #3
Xxxtremewv
Registered Member

Good deal, makes sense now that you say that as far as people adding a frag and letting it adjust. Ill keep an eye on them! Thanks sir!

Xxxtremewv is offline   Reply With Quote