Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Ryan20A
Registered Member

Cycling help!

Hi all I’m going to be filling my tank in the next week or so and was wondering what the best way to cycle the tank would be? Il be using live sand and Carib se life rock but unsure of the best route to kick off the cycling process.

Ryan20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 07:17 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Throw in a piece of uncooked shrimp from the grocery store..
Leave it in there till ammonia levels hit about 1-2ppm then remove if you want and wait as the nitrite start to rise..
Wait till ammonia and nitrite levels go to zero and tank is usually cycled at that point and you can start slowly stocking it..

You only need to test if you want and top off the tank with fresh water to account for whats evaporating (yes fresh.. not saltwater as the salt does not evaporate)

Typically good to plan on about 4-6 weeks when starting with dry rock..

Nothing good happens fast in this hobby..

You can also just sprinkle a pinch or of food in there every few days while monitoring ammonia,etc... if you don't want to go the shrimp way..

Unread 02/22/2018, 07:57 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

If no ammonia shows up on its own, you could toss in a bit of shrimp or just add small amounts of fish food, maybe about ¼ of what you intend to feed to the first inhabitants. I think the Carib Sea rock comes as dry pieces? If it's actual live rock, you shouldn't need to add anything.

Unread 02/23/2018, 06:17 AM   #4
Ryan20A
Registered Member

Great cheers, hopefully il get it started this weekend! the life rock is dry so it will be a longer cycling time I’d imagine.

Unread 02/23/2018, 08:01 AM   #5
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan20A View Post
Great cheers, hopefully il get it started this weekend! the life rock is dry so it will be a longer cycling time I’d imagine.
Yes it will probably take about a month to cycle. That will give you plenty of time to read through the stickies.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 09:27 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post
Yes it will probably take about a month to cycle. That will give you plenty of time to read through the stickies.
Those are here.. They are fairly decent at covering most of everything..

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1031074

Unread 02/23/2018, 01:50 PM   #7
Ryan20A
Registered Member

Thought so, cheers for the help, I’m not in any rush to stock the tank so il definitely have a read through

Unread 02/23/2018, 11:00 PM   #8
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Nothing good happens fast in this hobby...
Has there ever been any truer words than those right there!

I have always said that a lack of funds for this hobby is actually a blessing in disguise...it forces you to slow the down, and take a slow deliberate approach. Youll save a lot of money, spend less time doing Crisis Management, have a whole lot less headaches and spend more time enjoying the simpler things in life like your soon to be awesome tank. Reefing is a journey not a race, so walk dont run.

Most of the tanks I have set up recently started with just dry base rock sometimes no substrate, a heater, a Powerhead and some saltwater. Some of my most amazing tanks have also been the simplest set ups.

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 03:26 AM   #9
Reefiez
Registered Member

the caribsea life rock claims to be "infused with spored, live bacteria. Once placed in water, the dormant bacteria will come alive and begin to colonize: helping to speed up the cycling process."

i'm curious to see whether the claims is true, please updated with your ammonia/nitrites tests!

+1 for a dead shrimp

also you might consider a large water change at the end of your cycle if your nitrate readings are high

Unread 02/26/2018, 11:45 AM   #10
Ryan20A
Registered Member

il Probably go for the shrimp option, but out of curiosity has anyone had any experience with the atm colony? You add it to your water then add a fish and that’s your cycle done, is this just another thing that’s too good to be true? Are the fish at risk in doing a cycle like this? I’ve heard some people say it’s great but I’d be reluctant to try it and put the fish in any danger!

Unread 02/26/2018, 11:49 AM   #11
SonoranReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan20A View Post
il Probably go for the shrimp option, but out of curiosity has anyone had any experience with the atm colony? You add it to your water then add a fish and that’s your cycle done, is this just another thing that’s too good to be true? Are the fish at risk in doing a cycle like this? I’ve heard some people say it’s great but I’d be reluctant to try it and put the fish in any danger!

I don’t have experience with the specific ATM one. But I have used the Instant Ocean version, and it works decently. I have heard the new Fritz Turbo is a good one but don’t have any experience with it.

Just take your time and test is my best word of wisdom. I started my tank with the IO bacteria, live rock, and love sand. Was all that overkill? Maybe but the way I see it is it can’t hurt.

SonoranReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2018, 09:30 PM   #12
bertoni
RC Mod

I am not sure whether the bacterial products actually do much. Some people seem successful with them; others definitely are not. I wouldn't trust one with a fish, personally. I don't see the need. A little bit of fish food is just as useful as adding a fish.